The Intel Execution in [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want one.

My future CPU is likely to be an Intel one.

How is Intel at compatibility between different generations of CPUs using a MOBO from a previous generation? 'Cos the other day talking to a guy in person he said me that he used to buy AMD CPUs because their new CPUs used to work with MOBOs from a previous generation.

I want one.

How is Intel at compatibility between different generations of CPUs using a MOBO from a previous generation? 'Cos the other day talking to a guy in person he said me that he used to buy AMD CPUs because their new CPUs used to work with MOBOs from a previous generation.
Intel is usually max 2 gens per socket and 13th gen is 2nd gen for current socket. Rumors suggest we will however get rocket lake refresh next instead of meteor lake on desktop, so it could go 3 gens this time.
AMD had AM4 for 5 gens (depending a little how you count) and now has promised AM5 will go to 2025 minimum so should be at least 4 gens including current one

I want one.

If you're going by the 13400 (or locked 13th gen i5s in general) and that article I don't feel it's what you might think it'll be. Also my impressions is people are overhyping the locked i5s compared to reality, possibly because they think they are just slower 13600k's (more on this later).

First off the MSRP comparisons look better than they are because 1) Intel raised Intel ARK tray prices on 12th gen very recently. 2) Actual retail street prices is not the as the tray prices or MSRP

From a technical perspective the problem also is that while it seems they still have not come out and explicitly stated it the locked i5 chips are really "Alder Lake" and most of them will use the Alder Lake 8P+8E die. Albeit the 13400 will apparently be split between Alder Lake 8P+8E and Raptor 8P+16E dies, but it's not clear how the differences will be handled and what that would result in currently. Essentially this means at least if the 13400 is using the ADL die (or if the RPL shows no advantages) than it's effectively a slower 12600k (and more locked down).

So why does the above matter? Well the E-cores have questionable merits if your looking for peak per thead perf and latency performance, which gaming tends to fall under. The E-cores do add a lot more perf for sustained throughput based MT workloads however.

But ultimately the problem comes done to what else is on market. Forgot AMD and just looking at Intel -

13400 - $240 - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1735135-REG/intel_bx8071513400_core_i5_13600k_3_5_ghz.html

12600k - $248 - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._bx8071512600k_core_i5_12600k_8_core_lga.html

12400 - $188 - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...71512400_core_i5_12400_desktop_processor.html

On the AMD side the problem also becomes an issue in that 7600/x will be likely faster in gaming even if slower in MT (although the higher platform adoption cost is another issue). While Zen 3 offerings on sale for gaming would be way better perf/$ (barely slower, much cheaper) until the deals dry up.

Although at current list prices the 13500 - $250 - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1735134-REG/intel_bx8071513500_core_i5_13500_2_5_ghz.html

Is a much better consideration.

As for the platform upgrading angle, I don't think it's as useful as it's made out to be especially if you pay a premium for it. I'd take as situation dependent. Especially now with AM5/DDR5 you are paying a premium and early adopting. Imagine if say people paid a large premium for 3xx series chip AM4 boards and DDR4-3000. Sure it might be useable now but the platform/memory/performance is also dated and the same either as even later AM4/DDR4 (even just slightly later). You're also still taking a loss cycling out CPUs, and the double edge here also being that cheaper drop in CPU upgrades for a longer time also devalues the resale of your existing CPU more.

Last edited:

Linus Tech Tips conclusion after a whole month using Intel ARC exclusively at home.

Be interesting how the A380 holds up now in the extreme low end compared to competitors, as I'm sure these driver updates must improve it also.

For some reason saying don't have permission to post in Arc thread anymore.

Looks like decent performance increases (obviously need independent benches)
And price drop
havent watched the video yet, but Gamers Nexus reports a performance increase of up to 77% and 40+% performance increase on average. That seems more in line with the A770 numbers, but still surprising.

Also glad to know about the extended XeSS support.

havent watched the video yet, but Gamers Nexus reports a performance increase of up to 77% and 40+% performance increase on average. That seems more in line with the A770 numbers, but still surprising.

Also glad to know about the extended XeSS support.
Gamers Nexus was basically just reporting what was in this vid. So your not missing anything.
Need to wait for his benches.
But this seems to have brought legacy up to where it should be.
How you finding general graphical bugs now?

It's vs launch driver, though. Most of the gains came few drivers back.
True, but if they can get a media push with almost like a relaunch, be worth it if the software is in decent shape now.
May go from don't buy to worth serious consideration.

Really do like their marketing approach, hope they stick around for multiple generations and keep making big strides because it'd be great for discrete GPUs but arguably even better for integrated graphics. If they can get to 1050-1060 performance for mid-top end integrated graphics by 2025 (which looks very possible for AMD's Zen 5 + RDNA 4) that would be amazing for budget buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back