PlayStation 5 DualSense Edge Controllers

I wonder if it's going to be one of those things that you can now never un-notice!

It's like a good mechanical keyboard or mouse with high quality switches. Clicky AF, but you get used to it and don't notice really ... until someone comes around and tells you that you using the computer or playing a game is REALLY noisy and full of clicks. :p

I wish all the electronic appliances in my house had clicky mechanical switches. My Sony remote for my AVR has rubber dome switches as does one of my expensive cordless work lights. Some of the buttons on the Sony are wearing out and you really have to mush them to get them to register now. Thankfully the AVR itself has nice mechanical switches.

Regards,
SB

I was referring to the tactile feel. Now you mention it, the Xbox Series controlled d-pad clicking is loud/annoying as fuck.
How have I never noticed this!?!
You were probably distracted by how friggen awesome the dpad is compared to what you've been playing with on Playstation. It's like the difference between chicken tenders and chicken nuggets.
I wish all the electronic appliances in my house had clicky mechanical switches. My Sony remote for my AVR has rubber dome switches as does one of my expensive cordless work lights. Some of the buttons on the Sony are wearing out and you really have to mush them to get them to register now.
My mother had a remote once that her volume down button's rubber dome got worn out and I put a metal dome under it and it had a muted click. Volume down felt better than volume up.

You were probably distracted by how friggen awesome the dpad is compared to what you've been playing with on Playstation. It's like the difference between chicken tenders and chicken nuggets.wit

This has never bothered me. I see sometimes see people saying they don't like certain types of controllers, keyboards, mice or others things but I've always adjusted quickly to the different feel of things. As long as when initiate the input, something happens I'm good. 'Firm' sticks, 'lose' sticks, clicky buttons, mushy buttons..

Humans. Adaptable!! :yes:

This has never bothered me. I see sometimes see people saying they don't like certain types of controllers, keyboards, mice or others things but I've always adjusted quickly to the different feel of things. As long as when initiate the input, something happens I'm good. 'Firm' sticks, 'lose' sticks, clicky buttons, mushy buttons..

Humans. Adaptable!! :yes:
Uh how about Xbox 360 controller directional buttons?

The basically I press up, but it pressed left or right or diagonal.

Still using it almost every day as my dualsense has heavy drifting

Too bad DS pro didn't use magnet

Battery capacity is 2/3rd that of the DualSense.

Sony's $200 DualSense Edge Controller Contains a Surprisingly Small Battery​

Adding extra features clearly left Sony with less room to squeeze a battery inside.

The DualSense controller uses a 1,560mAh battery, while the DualSense Edge makes do with a 1,050mAh battery. Rather than an exercise in cost saving, it looks as though Sony had so many parts to cram inside the controller casing it simply couldn't fit a larger battery alongside them.

Teardown Video:

Rather than an exercise in cost saving, it looks as though Sony had so many parts to cram inside the controller casing it simply couldn't fit a larger battery alongside them.
Ummm.... Just make the case bigger to accommodate the battery.

I wish they just went with AAs. They are quick and easy to change, you can get rechargeable ones or they can even make custom blocks for hot swapping.

Smaller battery + shorter run time = more recharges which = ever shorter run times . Eventually the battery becomes unusable. I've swapped out many a batteries for friends on their dual shocks 4s . I feel this is going to be the same

I wish they just went with AAs. They are quick and easy to change, you can get rechargeable ones or they can even make custom blocks for hot swapping.

Smaller battery + shorter run time = more recharges which = ever shorter run times . Eventually the battery becomes unusable. I've swapped out many a batteries for friends on their dual shocks 4s . I feel this is going to be the same
I agree, I don't really see the value of Lions in controllers. Lightness? On DS3 it meant a longer battery life and lightness, but it doesn't appear to have value i the current gen controllers. I guess it does affect ergonomics requiring a fatter centre. But the battery in this thing is laughable, even moreso for the cost.

I suppose there's an eco-argument that even though people can use rechargables, there's no guarantee they will resulting in batteries being disposed en masse.

I agree, I don't really see the value of Lions in controllers. Lightness? On DS3 it meant a longer battery life and lightness, but it doesn't appear to have value i the current gen controllers. I guess it does affect ergonomics requiring a fatter centre. But the battery in this thing is laughable, even moreso for the cost.

I suppose there's an eco-argument that even though people can use rechargables, there's no guarantee they will resulting in batteries being disposed en masse.

Yea but I wonder how many controllers are just thrown out because the battery life starts to tank. My nephew wanted to play the xbox 360 and I pulled mine out of storage and put in 2 double a's and the controllers worked and they were launch day controllers. how many ps3 launch day controller batteries would work and how many would get anywhere near the battery life of launch day.

Yea but I wonder how many controllers are just thrown out because the battery life starts to tank.
The only people doing this are the ones for whom the cost of buying a new controller isn't a barrier. Everybody else is ordering a replacement battery off of Amazon for £4 and taking ten mins to replace it, or using it wired. I had the original launch 'SixAxis' controller and a couple of DualShock3 controllers that they all lasted me that long-ass generation.

The only people doing this are the ones for whom the cost of buying a new controller isn't a barrier. Everybody else is ordering a replacement battery off of Amazon for £4 and taking ten mins to replace it, or using it wired. I had the original launch 'SixAxis' controller and a couple of DualShock3 controllers that they all lasted me that long-ass generation.

I can tell you based on my experience that everybody else is not doing that. I know because I've done it for people when they have told me they had to buy a new controller. others will go to local repair shops and pay to get it done.

Regardless its all more of a hassle than just popping in new batteries into an xbox controller and just to be clear I also dislike the built in battery of the new xbox elite controllers

And sacrifice ergonomics?
I have little doubt that you could either make a bump in the back of the controller to accommodate the larger battery or increase the batteries thickness (and therefor capacity) a bit and widen the back just a little bit and it wouldn't moderately affect ergonomics as much as the battery moderately affects the life between charges.
I had a DualShock 3 I bought that only charged once before needing it's battery replaced. Also, "normal people" don't replace batteries in Playstation controllers. They just buy a new controller.

Back