Dead Space Remake [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

Is VRS quality the new thing to fight console wars over 😔

I hope it's not too noticable as someone who will eventually be buying the PS5 version

Also curious about how series s copes

Probably not, these guys should know not to use hardware VRS. But I guess software VRS is still somewhere on the development timeline, they're currently rebuilding the primary tech team (SEED).

It's going to be a bit before everything's caught up from EA's bizarro fit of "Well none of these games sound like they'll make us a billion dollars so let's just not make games at all!" and then tons of people quit to go make Embark and such.

Why are there so many more reviews on PS5 than XSX?

Why are there so many more reviews on PS5 than XSX?

New to review process? PlayStation usually is default console review system atleast for the past two gens. 7th gen it was 360. Most popular machine usually has more reviews

Nesh, I think we got the point with the nanomachines and secret sauce joke the first 5 times you made it.

Im glad the game is good but I am somewhat concerned about VRS now. It's something that clearly has a visual impact between the two machines, enough for John to actually make a definitive decision on which platform to go with.

In the era of machines so close together, imperfect software rendering solutions like this should not be deciding factor when there are better ways to scale the game, like DRS

New to review process? PlayStation usually is default console review system atleast for the past two gens. 7th gen it was 360. Most popular machine usually has more reviews

I don’t usually pay attention to console reviews. Just surprised to see it so lopsided. I have a PS4 but skipping this gen.

People are free to go to whichever platform they wish, it was certainly the case in the latter half of 7th gen as consoles widely fell behind technology and games commonly ran in the mid to low 20s fps wis.

Consoles will be fine as more stock becomes available, new people buy in, and the industry, hopefully, becomes even bigger as a whole

What is up with the performance on the PC?! Game doesnt have any relevant raytracing options and runs only ~60FPS on a 4090 in 4K. That thing has 8x more compute performance than a PS5. Wow and people complain about GPU prices when the biggest problem are totally unoptimized console ports...

What is up with the performance on the PC?! Game doesnt have any relevant raytracing options and runs only ~60FPS on a 4090 in 4K. That thing has 8x more compute performance than a PS5. Wow and people complain about GPU prices when the biggest problem are totally unoptimized console ports...
I mean native 4k at ultra settings must be pretty taxing no? I get 4090 is powerful(how crazy is it that this GPU is already around ps6 level) but don't forget the consoles are using certain things like VRS to dynamically adjust visuals whereas PC is probably stable right?

I can play Control in 4K and with every Raytracing options and get over 60 FPS. This is a corridor shooter without any advanced rendering technique and gets barely over 60FPS.
This is computerbase's benchmark sequence:

There is nothing here and at the end you can easily see how outdated the rendering technique is.

Last edited:
That’s a pretty terrible benchmark sequence. Single character on screen, no shooting, dynamic lights or particle effects. The 4090 should be getting 200fps there.

It's kind of weird to armchair technology like this as if every engine works the same and every effect has similar cost between all games and all workloads.

That is without considering the reality that judging 8 times PS5 performance based on tflop numbers isn't really substantive either when Nvidias flop counts don't even work consistently across generations let alone trying to compare to their competitors hardware

What we are seeing right now is a huge API-limitation from using inefficient ways of render and calculate things. You can get nearly real time pathtracing in Portal RTX in 4K on a 4090 and yet this remake cant even get over 70 FPS in 4K.

There is something really wrong with console development.

That’s a pretty terrible benchmark sequence. Single character on screen, no shooting, dynamic lights or particle effects. The 4090 should be getting 200fps there.

They say they chose that sequence as it's heavier than usual and they write the rest of the game will run faster than that. I never liked these cherry picked sequences that some reviewers chose where the game runs abnormally slow. Maybe they fucked up something in that scene alone, maybe its heavier for a good reason. What good is it if it doesnt represent the game ?

Maybe the fog thats in the scene is doing something heavy ?

It's kind of weird to armchair technology like this as if every engine works the same and every effect has similar cost between all games and all workloads.

That is without considering the reality that judging 8 times PS5 performance based on tflop numbers isn't really substantive either when Nvidias flop counts don't even work consistently across generations let alone trying to compare to their competitors hardware

We’ve been around long enough to know what it usually takes to produce a certain image. That’s why people question performance of certain titles where the IQ doesn’t justify the cost. You don’t need to compare PC vs console to do that.

What we are seeing right now is a huge API-limitation from using inefficient ways of render and calculate things. You can get nearly real time pathtracing in Portal RTX in 4K on a 4090 and yet this remake cant even get over 70 FPS in 4K.

There is something really wrong with console development.
Why the heck are you comparing rasterized workloads to fixed function hw dedicated to RT specifically to make it run fast?

Until DF comes out with their review it's somewhat silly to say it's a bad port let alone blame consoles for it because one can "only" do native 4k 60 with all graphics settings maxed out

We’ve been around long enough to know what it usually takes to produce a certain image. That’s why people question performance of certain titles where the IQ doesn’t justify the cost. You don’t need to compare PC vs console to do that.
That's fair, but in that case there is no reason to bring up the 4090 in comparison to the consoles in the first play like troyan did. What the consoles are doing and what the 4090 is doing are not the same thing

Back