Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Performance on medium virtual shadows is not the same as before on the same settings but noticeably lower even though the virtual shadows for grass and debri are, as intended for medium settings, not rendering.
I don't know of any other changes that would affect these settings, so I imagine there may have been some content things. Hard to know as I'm not actively working on Fortnite stuff currently.

Performance does not change between medium and high virtual shadows.
It will depend a lot on the specific case, view and system. Likely the cases where you are most likely to notice a difference are on lower end GPUs when directly inside tree foliage (due to resolution differences). Possibly also some differences in scenes with many large local lights present (some of the warehouses or castle views, but you have to know what you are looking for). That said I do not expect the differences to be large here, and without a proper way to replay a frame by frame capture you're not going to be able to weed out stuff like a couple hundred microseconds in specific sequences from the noise I imagine.

That said, as discussed in the other thread, it's pretty common for certain settings on PC to not have large performance impacts in specific view/GPU combinations. That's just the nature of the beast. If it doesn't affect performance much on your system, set it to high and enjoy :D

Benefits of having an actual dev familiar with the technology he is talking about in the same thread relating to the topic at hand. Just great stuff here. I hope a lot of these can be extrapolated out to how other devs might utilize these technologies

Btw anyone know why twinmotion imported to UE 5.1 Works fine in the editor, but once exported to oculus quest APK, most of the textures are replaced with checkerboard?

It's nice to hear about some hints regarding features included in ue5.2

Asynchronous Compute Lumen seems like it can really help devs and may even free up game performance in general

That said, as discussed in the other thread, it's pretty common for certain settings on PC to not have large performance impacts in specific view/GPU combinations. That's just the nature of the beast. If it doesn't affect performance much on your system, set it to high and enjoy :D
Sure, but the issue is that I feel like after the patch I get a ton more drops below 60 compared to before (with VSM on medium and same settings) It was pretty stable before the patch.

That is why I'm suspicious that something is wrong when comparing performance between medium and high VSM now. Even when I look at grassy fields the performance does not change though the visuals do) The visuals behave exactly like expected now (shadows for grass disabled at medium and enabled at high) but the performance does not reflect that, you know what I mean?

Sure, but the issue is that I feel like after the patch I get a ton more drops below 60 compared to before (with VSM on medium and same settings) It was pretty stable before the patch.
Not sure what to suggest. Are you sure it's actually shadow-related?
The visuals behave exactly like expected now (shadows for grass disabled at medium and enabled at high) but the performance does not reflect that, you know what I mean?
The performance cost of contact shadows is actually quite low in most cases, especially on PC. It's a screen space effect so it will depend on the render resolution of course, but I wouldn't necessarily expect it being on/off to be noticeable on mid/high-end configs.

On an aside, your sig is classically old-school in a way that feels insufficient these days, with corporations deciding there's no personal separation from any internet presence. Has Epic management spoken about online presence and what conditions there are? Are they particularly open as seems to be the case?

@Andrew Lauritzen

How's the work progressing on remastering the original Unreal game for UE5? =)
Hah, that'd be fun eh?
I really hope that you guys are working on it. First-person shooters haven't been amazing in ages. What better way to make it happen again than remastering Unreal - the game that was such an incredible and memorable experience almost 25 years ago. I recently finished Unreal Gold for the nth time and also listen to the soundtrack every now and then, by the way.

On an aside, your sig is classically old-school in a way that feels insufficient these days, with corporations deciding there's no personal separation from any internet presence. Has Epic management spoken about online presence and what conditions there are? Are they particularly open as seems to be the case?
There's a pretty detailed social media policy that is pretty similar to previous places I've worked. Some topics are obviously off-limits but there's a fair amount of leeway with released products especially in the case of Unreal, which is both open source and directly benefits developers when there is public interaction and documentation.

I really hope that you guys are working on it. First-person shooters haven't been amazing in ages. What better way to make it happen again than remastering Unreal - the game that was such an incredible and memorable experience almost 25 years ago. I recently finished Unreal Gold for the nth time and also listen to the soundtrack every now and then, by the way.
Unreal Tournament 2004 is the greatest FPS ever made.

Unreal Tournament 2004 is the greatest FPS ever made.

Still great for LAN gaming, graphics were ahead of its time also. I think there was htrf/3d audio aswell. UT3 went multiplat and we know what happened to the series from there.
Unreal Engine today isnt even close to what it was back then.

Nostalgia is a helluva thing. Besides shader compilation stutter, UE has evolved beyond what anyone could have imagined and helped shape the industry at a time when devs critically needed an all purpose engine that could give modern graphics pipeline that's easy to use.

Not to argue against the wow factor it must have been as a PC gamer back then to see such revolutionary advances in the PC space. As console gamer, I didn't have any knowledge of unreal engine at all before the 7th gen and games like gears 1 and bioshock among countless others. And learning about the pre history was a great experience

Back