Dead Space Remake [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

Only two more days before the game is released. I have two thoughts....

1. I'm curious to see the reaction and first time impression after the poor showing from Callisto Protocol, which is supposedly a spiritual successor to the Dead Space franchise.

2. Just how close (or far) of an experience compared to the original Dead Space. Will it retain the Dead Space atmosphere+gameplay, or do we get something very different?

Whatever the case maybe, I truly hope this remake is successful and gives us a true next gen experience as the PS5 sorely needs it as previous titles have been holding back a bit for various reason. The PS5 potential and power has been severely untapped because of it.

It looks like a HD pPS4 game so don't expect a real "next gen" game, it looks worse than callisto protocol already, but maybe the gameplay is better.

Leaving here the original Dead Space Screenshots from 2011, I captured with GTX 460 2560x1440@1920x1080, 16xCSAA, for reference

Stutters, yeah

But, and I hate that there’s a but, but there is. Dead Space’s performance on PC could be better. On my 3080 the game was more than capable of hitting high frame rates on its ultra preset, but no amount of fiddling in the settings could prevent stuttering when entering new areas or seemingly random doors. Even when installed on an SSD, Dead Space features infrequent but noticeable micro-stutters. It’s a blight on what is largely a very solid release, an occurrence frequent enough to dull its brilliance.

If you’ve already familiarised yourself with Dead Space system requirements, you’ll know that recommended PC specs are somewhat hefty. Sadly, exceeding GPU requirements will still potentially result in frame spikes during cutscenes and some specific areas, and it’s hard to pinpoint exactly why. Making sure to enable Nvidia DLSS can offset performance dips, but it feels more like an issue under the hood than a specific hardware problem.

Luckily, upon launching the game for the first time, you will be greeted by a message saying 'loading shaders'. That alone immediately signaled that Motive Studios did not make the same mistake as Striking Distance Studios. However, shader stutter is not the only form of stuttering. I would really love to say that Dead Space was completely free of stutters, but that's just not true.

On my configuration (Intel i7 12700KF, RTX 4090, 16GB DDR4), stutters happen on a fairly regular basis, even with DLSS 2/Super Resolution enabled. I've manually benchmarked (and captured with Shadowplay) a 14-minute-long gameplay session from the first Chapter with NVIDIA's FrameView software; as you can see from the table below, the average frame rate was very high at just over 144 FPS, but the game's minimum frame rate went as low as 15 frames per second.

Even if Dead Space compiles shaders before the game starts, these do not seem to be all that are needed. Because the remake also has to struggle with the dreaded shader compile jerking, although it is still tolerable because the jerking occurs only rarely.

The game always seems to precompile a fair amount of shaders at certain points in the level. If this happens, Dead Space Remake hooks neatly. However, this has the consequence that until the next "level limit" there is no stuttering due to compiling - no matter what you do. While this isn't the best solution, it's a lot better than compiling the shaders only when they're needed -- for example, because the player is performing an action.

Last edited:
image.png

Seeing nothing but good things about this remake (outside of the obligatory odd PC Stutters).

Just RTAO. And 5700xt on par with a 2070 Super ( so it doesn't use any DX12 Ultimate features)

This is another cross gen titel in disguise. Hopefully this shit ends soon.

As long as it looks good and runs well, that's most important. I didn't expect something unreasonable for a 360 and PS3 remake of a game in the first place. It's bringing it up to modern standards like TLOU part 1 and Demons Souls after all.

Any PS5 impressions. Looking forward to digital foundries analysis

Stutters, yeah

Good to see lots of publications drawing attention to this now.

Is VRS quality the new thing to fight console wars over 😔

I hope it's not too noticable as someone who will eventually be buying the PS5 version

Also curious about how series s copes
I am hoping they'll patch it out even if it means 10% lower resolution (which won't be noticeable). But VRS artifacts (meaning 4x lower res textures)? That will be very noticeable. It could be a deal breaker for me. VRS on PS5!! Ugh. VRS on textures were already very noticeable on Metro Exodus.

I am hoping they'll patch it out even if it means 10% lower resolution (which won't be noticeable). But VRS artifacts (meaning 4x lower res textures)? That will be very noticeable. It could be a deal breaker for me. VRS on PS5!! Ugh. VRS on textures were already very noticeable on Metro Exodus.

If they have dynamic res I would also take that slightly lower res floor over VRS. VRS is supposed to be inherently things the user won't notice, but it's still noticable in many cases whereas dynamic res in many cases definitely isn't as noticable

If they have dynamic res I would also take that slightly lower res floor over VRS. VRS is supposed to be inherently things the user won't notice, but it's still noticable in many cases
Indeed. Apparently it's even noticeable on XSX (albeit less thanks to a different implementation). But using VRS on consoles (where it can't be turned off) for the sake of using VRS even with its big IQ problems is really a shame.

Back