Forspoken (Project Athia) [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Screenshot comparison between image Square released from the trailer and the demo. I don't understand why they didn't choose at least the same color than the first trailer. The image is bland.

Sibd05C.jpeg

TJjdyci.jpeg

"Playstation 5 development footage shown" :unsure:
🤔 I still feel like...it's weird isn't it? Tekken 8 and forspoken both have early footages specifically stated running directly on PS5 dev kits(and the t8 first trailer wasn't even that long ago) that looks a lot more impressive than what we see later on.

Maybe they lower the fidelity due to needing to run on lower end than ps5 reasonably? Even then though it doesn't explain why start with such footages...I guess it could be explained by wanting 60fps performance mode? But it's not like the other modes look a world apart, and that t8 trailer was already 60fps...

Again it's not like we don't know if PS5 can make fidelity similar to the early trailers. Forbidden west looks better than that early forespoken footage and it has 60fps and is more open than the limited zones of forspoken

Game development is weird as hell and I won't understand it

VIrtually every aspect of the visuals was heavly simplified.

yeah, and its very comprehensive downgrade

* 3d model poly count
* sky/clouds model/sim/whatever
* shadows
* the way the global light lit everything
* objects (vegetations, rocks, etc) variety and density
* atmospheric FX

then when you watch the old video in play, the animation also seems to be downgraded. the real game looks more wooden.

🤔 I still feel like...it's weird isn't it? Tekken 8 and forspoken both have early footages specifically stated running directly on PS5 dev kits(and the t8 first trailer wasn't even that long ago) that looks a lot more impressive than what we see later on.

Maybe they lower the fidelity due to needing to run on lower end than ps5 reasonably? Even then though it doesn't explain why start with such footages...I guess it could be explained by wanting 60fps performance mode? But it's not like the other modes look a world apart, and that t8 trailer was already 60fps...

Again it's not like we don't know if PS5 can make fidelity similar to the early trailers. Forbidden west looks better than that early forespoken footage and it has 60fps and is more open than the limited zones of forspoken

Game development is weird as hell and I won't understand it

maybe PS5 devkit has more free RAM to be used for gameplay and it boost for longer and higher clock for everything?

or... its simply due to the game was rushed. that in normal video game development, the current game will get 1 more year development just to polish everything (blobs of boring clouds! polished into artistic clouds, etc)

EDIT:
now i wonder, why the heck they didnt simply reuse lots and lots of FFXV stuff?

is this game was being made in parallel with FFXV? thus unable to take advantage of a lot of work in FFXV?

maybe PS5 devkit has more free RAM to be used for gameplay and it boost for longer and higher clock for everything?

or... its simply due to the game was rushed. that in normal video game development, the current game will get 1 more year development just to polish everything (blobs of boring clouds! polished into artistic clouds, etc)

EDIT:
now i wonder, why the heck they didnt simply reuse lots and lots of FFXV stuff?

is this game was being made in parallel with FFXV? thus unable to take advantage of a lot of work in FFXV?
Game was announced a while after ff15 came out tho...

Do we know what square "team" is working on this ? I would guess the best people are working on FFXVI, so what we see can be a management problem, but a dev and artists talent problem too. Maybe nothing went wrong, they just can't do better...

Do we know what square "team" is working on this ? I would guess the best people are working on FFXVI, so what we see can be a management problem, but a dev and artists talent problem too. Maybe nothing went wrong, they just can't do better...
its business division 7 or something. the same one as FFXV.

but there were exodus of people in that team after FFXV was done.

Lookin at the comparison video between reveal trailer and demo, what stuck out to me where the missing shadows for foliage and ground elements. If they added even screen space shadows for those elements the game wouldn't look as flat as it does. What a huge downgrade.

There was a whole controversy because tabata (director of ff15) left the company, and a lot of staff from ff15 left with him.

After that, square enix leads essentially split the ff15 team off from the rest of square enixs business divisions and relabeled what was left "luminous studio" because they are the only ones using luminous engine now in the company since they were apart of the team developing it.

So even if there is manpower shortage at luminous studio, the devs responsible for ff7 trilogy and the devs responsible for ff16 etc won't be called in to help. Seems like a huge problem for them relating to development as a whole

looks like to me, the project ran out of money and they were going back and making big changes to the game which is why it looks so empty in comparison to what it could be.

It’s unfortunate but it happens a lot. Gotta prioritize the fun before your prioritize the sexy sizzle. Cause once you find out the game is not fun you need to go back and make huge changes.

Maybe they would have been better off making a much more linear game. It would be interesting to see how luminous can be utilized outside of open worlds

FFXV have linear episodes and chapters (bloody chapter 13)

Btw someone need to d side by side comparison with ffxv. Would be interesting to see th improvement they made

FFXV have linear episodes and chapters (bloody chapter 13)

Btw someone need to d side by side comparison with ffxv. Would be interesting to see th improvement they made
Chapter 13 was also due to dev hell iirc 😂 I was thinking more like an intentional game design that's more focused and such u know

Back