Returnal (Housemarque) [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
On the flip side they are now recommending an SSD at all levels though. This certainly makes sense given the games fast loading, but it's interesting that the recommended which seem to be PS5 spec (1060p/60) only asks for 16GB now. Testing load and restart times in this game should be interesting on different systems.
B7BE4713-B647-4ED8-88B7-0349828D3BB0.gif
But in seriousness, looking forward to this port and seeing the inner workings here. Hopefully Alex has this one in his queue, want to see how the different speeds and memory configurations affect this one. Would still like to see Demon Souls as well, but that seems to be held as exclusive.

84eb1403359ed6698fc12041e42ef324d0e35cee.jpg

*Use of performance enhancing upscaling like NVIDIA DLSS is recommended when using both ray-traced reflections and ray-traced shadows.

The GPU recommendations make no sense.

The recommended preset suggests a RTX2070 on the Nvidia side but a 6700XT on the AMD side? That's a huge gulf in performance tier between the two with Techpowerup having the 6700XT being 30% faster.

Then we get to EPIC preset where the Nvidia side see's the 3080 recommended which is a ridiculously large jump in performance over the 2070 but the AMD side only requires a 6800XT which is a pretty small jump in performance over the 6700XT and much smaller than 2070 to 3080.

Then the ray tracing recommendations 3080ti vs 6950? In RT performance the 3080ti slaughters the 6950XT but in Returnal the 6950XT is enough to offer the same experience? Unless the game is super optimised for RDNA2's RT they've gimped the RT implementation.

Curious to see the benchmarks....

I'm guessing recommend settings tell us exactly what PS5 is using and what PC is equivalent to. Nice!

6700xt 12gb and 2700xt seems like PS5 level power

If they were planning 32gb at any point I'm glad the requirements were dropped. Even if it's just for hdd players it is a lot more restrictive than telling people to get even a cheap SSD instead of trying to force their way with hdd

I think seeing hdd support for PC ports of console games will quickly fall away for upgrading to sata instead which only makes sense.

I see. And I guess it's the same for series consoles?
Yes, except the Seres consoles have a configurable SMT mode. DF did a good comparison table of the three consoles in their Series S analysis.

The Series X CPU is 3.6 Ghz with SMT enabled (like PS5) but if you disable SMT the CPU clock rises to 3.8 Ghz.
The Series S CPU is 3.4 Ghz with SMT enabled and 3.6 Ghz disabled.

Yes, except the Seres consoles have a configurable SMT mode. DF did a good comparison table of the three consoles in their Series S analysis.

The Series X CPU is 3.6 Ghz with SMT enabled (like PS5) but if you disable SMT the CPU clock rises to 3.8 Ghz.
The Series S CPU is 3.4 Ghz with SMT enabled and 3.6 Ghz disabled.
I wonder what the benefit of not using smt is? Since that's where the real power is. Is it just for easy transition from last gen or for smaller devs who don't need all the CPU power using smt afford?

I wonder what the benefit of not using smt is? Since that's where the real power is. Is it just for easy transition from last gen or for smaller devs who don't need all the CPU power using smt afford?
In highly-threaded code, disabling SMT and dropping from sixteen concurrent threads down to eight can hammer performance - noting that on both systems, game code does not have access to all available cores/threads because some are reserved by the OS.

Giving devs the option is the better choice.

They didn't announce DirectStorage for this but is it possible to retroactively add it via a patch/update or late into the development? Or is it something that has to be planned ahead?

The GPU recommendations make no sense.

The recommended preset suggests a RTX2070 on the Nvidia side but a 6700XT on the AMD side? That's a huge gulf in performance tier between the two with Techpowerup having the 6700XT being 30% faster.

Then we get to EPIC preset where the Nvidia side see's the 3080 recommended which is a ridiculously large jump in performance over the 2070 but the AMD side only requires a 6800XT which is a pretty small jump in performance over the 6700XT and much smaller than 2070 to 3080.

Then the ray tracing recommendations 3080ti vs 6950? In RT performance the 3080ti slaughters the 6950XT but in Returnal the 6950XT is enough to offer the same experience? Unless the game is super optimised for RDNA2's RT they've gimped the RT implementation.

Curious to see the benchmarks.
It makes perfect sense. The game on PS5 always runs a GI that is using Hardware acceleration for Raytracing to speed up calculations. So in a way, some sort of RTGI would always be on even when RT shadows and reflections are turned off. And since Turing has faster RT acceleration than RDNA2, Turing pushes above its weight.

It makes perfect sense. The game on PS5 always runs a GI that is using Hardware acceleration for Raytracing to speed up calculations. So in a way, some sort of RTGI would always be on even when RT shadows and reflections are turned off. And since Turing has faster RT acceleration than RDNA2, Turing pushes above its weight.
You've not understood my point.

Back