Next-Generation NVMe SSD and I/O Technology [PC, PS5, XBSX|S]

Can't wait for last gen to be fully dumped. PS5/Xbox SSD and direct storage on PC...I feel like devs can be creative with exploiting to some degree the lack of storage bottleneck on a variety of applications. It doesn't have to be extreme edge cases like portal transitions but other things we might not think of 🤔

Ultimately better bandwidth and lower latency will add to great variability to scenes. But it’s not like Nvidia or AMD has done nothing to deal with a lack of bandwidth and high latency.

GPUs are designed to have larger caches and RAM to aggressively push data to the hardware to keep the hardware fed.

To take advantage the SDDs the size of games have to grow significantly and since art content is the most costly part of development, I don’t expect a massive change. At least not until RT hardware becomes more performant.

But I heard the biggest bottleneck is latency in between the components. I wonder if there is a way to minimize that issue?
Not via Flash. You need a different memory type of which i don't know if there is one. In the absence of that, you just have to fall back to the existing ways of dealing with latency between storage pools - buffers and precaching. The issue you speak of is no different to that faced from a processor needing data that's in registers versus that in main RAM, and the solutions are the same.

Yes, that's exactly what solid-state filesystems are designed to do. Although it objectively introduces more read-write cycles, the 'heath' of the NAND array overall get less reptitive use on average.

I've been song SSD storage on laptops since my first 2nd gen MacBook Air in 2009 and people were concerned about longevity back then too. After 14 years of laptops phones and tablets, I've never had storage go bad or met anybody who did.
I had an NvME PCI4 1TB SSD from Seagate die recently after only 3 years of operation.

It would be cool to be able to seamlessly use both system memory and ram in games. But I heard the biggest bottleneck is latency in between the components. I wonder if there is a way to minimize that issue?

Do you mean system storage and ram?

Both NAND Flash and NVMe over PCIe have orders of magnitude too high latency to act as a replacement for ram.

There was a hypothetical plan to pair 3D Xpoint and a newer interface/protocol (eg. NVDIMM), but of course that did not make the inroads needed.

Hypothetically I wonder if in the future they might explore having NAND directly interfaced with the graphics card again.

Do you mean system storage and ram?

Both NAND Flash and NVMe over PCIe have orders of magnitude too high latency to act as a replacement for ram.

There was a hypothetical plan to pair 3D Xpoint and a newer interface/protocol (eg. NVDIMM), but of course that did not make the inroads needed.

Hypothetically I wonder if in the future they might explore having NAND directly interfaced with the graphics card again.

+1

The memory latency are around 60/70 ns and SSD in microsecond at best 10 microsecond to 250 microseconds, two order of magnitude better for RAM.

This is not a replacement at all. This is just storage... With 12 GB/s and an average 2 to 1 compression ratio you can load 400 MB of data per frame at 60 fps. This is huge. It will solve anything developer can do with loading or streaming.

Last edited:
Can't wait for last gen to be fully dumped. PS5/Xbox SSD and direct storage on PC...I feel like devs can be creative with exploiting to some degree the lack of storage bottleneck on a variety of applications. It doesn't have to be extreme edge cases like portal transitions but other things we might not think of 🤔
but thats the thing - it will never be dumped entirely if people count on low tech PCs to be able to run a bare minimum version of a Current Gen only game. There are still plenty of People out there with 4 Core CPUs and a damn RX 480 or similar GPU... And those poeple will not have a SSD either. So PC Based Games will never drop Last gen iam affraid. Your only hope will be PS5 Exclusives later ported to PC will will hopefully leverage the PS5 to an extent that menitioned PC Setup is not even able to reach the main menue.
Then and only then we will have true next gen. Or if PC Players finally pick up better hardware in both CPU and GPU and bring it at least to current gen Console level. Did not check lately but not to long ago PS5 for example was more perfomrmant that ~80% of all gaming PCs out there according to Steam Hardware Survey.
But with the Price development and Inflation going on iam doubtfull... Not with Nvidia and AMD realizing that if People willingly pay scalper prices for GPUs , that they themself could offer the GPUs at those scapler prices...

Is that the norm from wear, or an outlier from a defective product? Outliers will always happen for any product.
I hope an outlier as it was my first NvME SSD. I got two NvME WD SN850 after and I expect them to be good for a long time. It was a wake up call tough, since SSD when they die, they really die, very low chance of recovering data unlike an HDD.

but thats the thing - it will never be dumped entirely if people count on low tech PCs to be able to run a bare minimum version of a Current Gen only game. There are still plenty of People out there with 4 Core CPUs and a damn RX 480 or similar GPU... And those poeple will not have a SSD either. So PC Based Games will never drop Last gen iam affraid. Your only hope will be PS5 Exclusives later ported to PC will will hopefully leverage the PS5 to an extent that menitioned PC Setup is not even able to reach the main menue.
Then and only then we will have true next gen. Or if PC Players finally pick up better hardware in both CPU and GPU and bring it at least to current gen Console level. Did not check lately but not to long ago PS5 for example was more perfomrmant that ~80% of all gaming PCs out there according to Steam Hardware Survey.
But with the Price development and Inflation going on iam doubtfull... Not with Nvidia and AMD realizing that if People willingly pay scalper prices for GPUs , that they themself could offer the GPUs at those scapler prices...
That's true but at the same time console adoption is what raises the baseline spec. Requirements lifted when PS4 and Xbox one were the hardware being targeted and the same will be true once last gen is dropped. Hdd owners who want to play certain games will be forced to upgrade to ssd. In the crossgen phase there is no need but that will change

I hope an outlier as it was my first NvME SSD. I got two NvME WD SN850 after and I expect them to be good for a long time. It was a wake up call tough, since SSD when they die, they really die, very low chance of recovering data unlike an HDD.
Was it in a low memory system? The only time I've seen an SSD die from wear was in an 8GB system that required 32GB. It still took about 2.5 years of writing 17GB every hour on average.

It's still very much out in the enterprise domain, even if commodity versions are rare. 3DXPoint is a joint venture between Micron and Intel; the consumer-facing branding was Intel's Optane lane. For enterprise-grade use, the priority focus was minimizing latency rather than top-line maximal bandwidth numbers -- although later versions continue delivering on both fronts.

It's still very much out in the enterprise domain, even if commodity versions are rare. 3DXPoint is a joint venture between Micron and Intel; the consumer-facing branding was Intel's Optane lane. For enterprise-grade use, the priority focus was minimizing latency rather than top-line maximal bandwidth numbers -- although later versions continue delivering on both fronts.

Existing deployments aside I thought Optane was formally discontinued by Intel last year? The only fab that even produced 3D Xpoint I believe was handed off to Micron which in turn sold it.

Also I thought Intel used the Optane branding for both consumer and enterprise products and it's division. 3D Xpoint was just the formal name for the memory itself.

That's true but at the same time console adoption is what raises the baseline spec. Requirements lifted when PS4 and Xbox one were the hardware being targeted and the same will be true once last gen is dropped. Hdd owners who want to play certain games will be forced to upgrade to ssd. In the crossgen phase there is no need but that will change
Sony revealed 30Millions sold true PS5 by Jan´ 23. So combined with Xbox S and X there should be all in all around 50Million Current Gen Consoles. I think PS4/Xbox One Adoption rates where similar enough when they droped Xbox 360 /PS3 support back then. And i think it was also around 2 years in the cycle...
And about the need to change - Returnal the first real PS5 exclusive comes now to PC and whoops - asks for 32GB Main Ram probably to make up for PS5 I/O block. And the games not out yet and people fall again in the "bad port trap" . Some of them arguing in bad faith about PS5 Advantages. IRRC John Linneman once said in an DF Direct that Housemark told him that Returnal relies also on PS5s storage solution to fast stream in the Area behind a Door.
We will see what happens with that Port. And the reception in PC Land.

Back