The Callisto Protocol [PS, XB, PC]

This is art team, they helped for all version. They worked on other game like Jedi Fallen Order with an Xbox marketing deal and it changes nothing. And conspiracy theory has nothing to do here. Xbox Series version are functionnal and nothing to do with the shitfest of Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4 when the game release.
I would be interested to know what PlayStation 5-specific contributions Sony's team could have made that wouldn't also benefit Xbox Series given the hardware is so bloody similar. It feels like this would be a disproportionate amount of effort, which the developers and publisher would need to be complicit with. Which begs the question... why? :-?

I would be interested to know what PlayStation 5-specific contributions Sony's team could have made that wouldn't also benefit Xbox Series given the hardware is so bloody similar. It feels like this would be a disproportionate amount of effort, which the developers and publisher would need to be complicit with. Which begs the question... why? :-?

They do assets it works on all version PC, PS5, Xbox Series. They aren't programmers.

One may wonder couldn’t they release game a week later with all fixes and avoid this shit show ?
Release dates are complicated. You may want to avoid clashing with other titles and there is the commercial reality that if you delay a week, that's another week before you see any money from the vast majority of gamers who don't pre-order. I get the impression that Striking Distance Studios is quite small, and they are probably having some decisions being dictated by their publisher.

Not everybody has the luxury of 343, Naughty Dog, Rockstar, Bethesda, who can just bump a title release by weeks/months.

Release dates are complicated. You may want to avoid clashing with other titles and there is the commercial reality that if you delay a week, that's another week before you see any money from the vast majority of gamers who don't pre-order. I get the impression that Striking Distance Studios is quite small, and they are probably having some decisions being dictated by their publisher.

Not everybody has the luxury of 343, Naughty Dog, Rockstar, Bethesda, who can just bump a title release by weeks/months.

There may also have been pressure on the publisher to have it release at a certain date by Sony as part of the agreement to have one of their teams helping with the project. Would also help explain why the PS5 version was complete while the XBS version was almost but not quite complete and then there was the PC version... IE - game must launch on this date, and oh BTW don't you dare screw up the PS5 version.

Regards,
SB

One may wonder couldn’t they release game a week later with all fixes and avoid this shit show ?
This is the big question, isn't it.

What is going on with QA and management pushing releases like this, when just a mere week later the game can be on another level.

Something needs to be done about this kind of thing always happening (at least on the PC side).. Xbox should have never released in the state it was in either.

Finally finished this game. I honestly loved things about it and also hated things about it. Overall though, now with the current fixes in place, I'm giving it a positive rating. Not going to go into too much detail because it's late.. maybe I'll post a more detailed review later.. but I give it a solid 7.5/10

Spoilers
(An enemy on display, some alley detail, and a late game character in a cinematic)

20221209232736-1.jpg

20221209233033-1.jpg

20221209233108-1.jpg

20221209232411-1.jpg

When you see what these guys, an admittedly smaller studio, are doing with this game on Unreal Engine 4... it just makes you wonder what the big studios are going to be able to do with Unreal Engine 5.

They released a new patch, which fixes at least two of the suggestions I had. I haven't seen any patch notes yet, or played very much to test.. but it definitely adds a shader compilation progress bar to the start now so it's not stuttering through the videos and main menu anymore! 😄

shader.png

They've also made swapping weapons MUCH faster.. which was another one. I also asked for the ability to be able to move around while listening to radio logs and using the inventory.. but I doubt that's in yet lol.

They released a new patch, which fixes at least two of the suggestions I had. I haven't seen any patch notes yet, or played very much to test.. but it definitely adds a shader compilation progress bar to the start now so it's not stuttering through the videos and main menu anymore! 😄

shader.png

They've also made swapping weapons MUCH faster.. which was another one. I also asked for the ability to be able to move around while listening to radio logs and using the inventory.. but I doubt that's in yet lol.

Awesome, I really want to play this game and by the time someone releases an affordable current gen GPU it sounds like it will be ready!

This is the big question, isn't it.

What is going on with QA and management pushing releases like this, when just a mere week later the game can be on another level.

Something needs to be done about this kind of thing always happening (at least on the PC side).. Xbox should have never released in the state it was in either.
Ding ding ding

Business management are imo a big reason why certain games can fail, far more than actual competency of devs

When you see what these guys, an admittedly smaller studio, are doing with this game on Unreal Engine 4... it just makes you wonder what the big studios are going to be able to do with Unreal Engine 5.

Right? Sometimes I think this will be the Arkham Knight of UE4...

It's extremely impressive what they did, graphically. It feels incredibly high budget and high quality. Guess the PUBG corp didn't skimp on money. I'd say Plague Tale: R, this one and Horizon are the top dogs this year in the graphics department. And Requiem i'd put at number 1.

vdon7u.jpg

32eaxp.jpg
lzttxp.jpg

It's extremely impressive what they did, graphically. It feels incredibly high budget and high quality. Guess the PUBG corp didn't skimp on money. I'd say Plague Tale: R, this one and Horizon are the top dogs this year in the graphics department. And Requiem i'd put at number 1.

vdon7u.jpg

32eaxp.jpg
lzttxp.jpg

Nice shots! Yeah, the character models and environments can look incredible at times.

20221209232736-1.jpg

20221209233108-1.jpg

20221209232411-1.jpg

20221211211220-1.jpg

20221211210446-1.jpg

Just finished. Main feature of game is top notch face graphics - maybe even the best (at least for main character). But other then that many faults like terrible hdr, its better to play on sdr but still far from good experience even on oled tv. Played in rt mode on ps5 and relfections very noisy, reflection in mirrors in hilarious quality. Combat is mediocre at best with terrible doge mechanic. Vairaty of enemis very low (you fight like 3 or 4 times with same "boss" and 2 times with same mechanic with other). Story as generic as you can imagine. But besieds so many flaws I enjoyed enough to play it to the end so at least pace wasn't that bad and there was good athmosphere. 7/10

I agree about the dodge mechanic, the actual gameplay aspect is very rough for me, making me not want to continue playing :-|

Graphics are top notch but performance is hilariously bad on PC even after all the patches, frequently drops below 30 fps on a 5800X3D + 4090.

If anything, this made me appreciate how good dodging in TLOU2 is, it feels worlds apart!

If gamers stopped pre-ordering games before they were reviewed and known to to good, a lot less poorly-optimised games would be released. You may want to discuss this with the person in your mirror.
I also don’t think that it’s right to now put the blame on consumers for pre-ordering a product which should really be delivered in a good state… right?? 😉 the onus is on the people making and releasing the product, not consumers!!

Back