AMD RX 7900XTX and RX 7900XT Reviews

No, I meant Nvidia introducing the 4070ti at $799. Unlike AMD, they haven't announced a price yet, we just have rumors at this point.
Yes, I understood it like this. Why would Nv put that much pressure on 7900XT instead of just using the situation to get higher margins? A 4070Ti at 800 would make it obsolete basically. I don't see what's forcing Nv to do this. If 7900XT would be on 4080 level in non-RT then sure. But it's nowhere close.

Vega was the competitor for GTX 1080 and 1070. RDNA 2 is a different comparison but that was also a better situation for AMD than this. 6900XT matched a 3090 outside of RT and was closer with RT than a 7900XTX is to a 4090. RT titles were also less prevalent and had less enticing implementations.
It's a worse situation from the perspective of competing with Nvidia's entire product stack. But the competitive positioning of the 7900 XTX is not substantially worse than the positioning of the 6800 XT IMO. Yes, ray tracing titles are more prevalent, but a lot of the newer RT titles are RT-lite console ports and AMD has priced the 7900 XTX lower to compensate.

I disagree with him saying the 4090 is the biggest generational leap we have ever seen.

G80 had a much larger performance jump and shook up the whole PC gaming space, as did G92 (Plus others)
G92 was a remodeling to to speak of G80. Slower in bandwidth limited scenarios but faster when shader limited. Do you mean another GPU?

G92 was a remodeling to to speak of G80. Slower in bandwidth limited scenarios but faster when shader limited. Do you mean another GPU?

Why would I mean another GPU?

Both G80 and G92 had a huge impact on PC gaming and the fact one is based on the other doesn't reduce the impact they had on the industry.

G92 didn't shake up anything. It was a disappointing refresh since it was a performance regression in some aspects and had 33% less VRAM.

The G92 powered 8800GT was a complete revelation in terms of price and performance for the mid-range and completely shook up what performance could be expected and obtained for $250 (The 8800GTX was over $500 when the 8800GT released)

Oh, and It could also have 1GB of VRAM.

Last edited:
uplifts these days are smalltime :runaway:

Q59Faw6ScBJD4Gpj27h98a.jpg

The G92 powered 8800GT was a complete revelation in terms of price and performance for the mid-range and completely shook up what performance could be expected and obtained for $250 (The 8800GTX was over $500 when the 8800GT released)

Oh, and It could also have 1GB of VRAM.
Definitely a bang-for-buck shake up. RV570 (X1950 Pro), G92 (8800 GT), RV770 (HD 4870/4850), and RV790 (HD 4890) was like a golden era for bang-for-buck high performance PC gaming.

But I think @techuse is simply talking about absolute performance jumps (not normalised for price), which was definitely what G80 and AD102 are -- the former being very fondly remembered because its price was directly inline with previous flagship cards (except for the Ultra SKU).

In other news, 7900 XT's pricing is pretty terrible:

Would've been a decent option at $799 -- heck, I think the 7900 XTX should've been either $899 or $949.

What should I look at ?

If you're surprised by the presence of 6 physical MCDs on the XT version, I believe Gamer Nexus said it's normal, one is disabled/deffectif, but they keep it for structural reason (I guess they dont have to rework the packaging, cooler pressure, etc).
I think it's just a spacer, but yes it's included for structural reasons.

Edit: Or maybe they are using defective MCD dies as spacers. Recycling!

Down here in Australia we seem to have got hardly any of these. They went on sale about 15 mins ago and I checked right on the release time (12am) on 3 different major pc retailers sites and 2 only had 1 model and was sold out the other had about 6 models listed but 4 were sold out and the other 2 had a pre order option with an eta of a couple of days.

It does seem to have pushed some people to the 4090, 5 models that had stock yesterday are out of stock now. Doesn't seem to have helped the 4080 much, 1 model is sold out since yesterday with about 10 other models still in stock.

Down here in Australia we seem to have got hardly any of these. They went on sale about 15 mins ago and I checked right on the release time (12am) on 3 different major pc retailers sites and 2 only had 1 model and was sold out the other had about 6 models listed but 4 were sold out and the other 2 had a pre order option with an eta of a couple of days.

It does seem to have pushed some people to the 4090, 5 models that had stock yesterday are out of stock now. Doesn't seem to have helped the 4080 much, 1 model is sold out since yesterday with about 10 other models still in stock.

Yeah there were probably a few folks waiting to see if the 7900XTX would put pressure on the 4090.

Back