Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

I just tried Detroit Become Human on my 2080Ti, max settings, native 4K, and I can't stand the amount of blur on the image, it's so disgustingly blurry to the point it becomes unbearable sometimes, which reminded me that so many games have terrible TAA implementations indeed, and how gamers had to tolerate them without a solution in sight, these games beg for a DLSS2 or a DLAA implementation. I don't remember encounturing that much blur in any DLSS2 title, even on DLSS Performance.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is the outlier with DLSS in that regard, it's very blurry but it's coming from a game without TAA to begin with. Still better than the native SMSA/FXAA.

When DLSS has an issue though it's not due to 'blurriness', if that was the only result from using lower quality DLSS that frankly would be ideal. It's the artifacting, and to a far lesser extent with more recent versions, the ghosting.

Last edited:
I just tried Detroit Become Human on my 2080Ti, max settings, native 4K, and I can't stand the amount of blur on the image, it's so disgustingly blurry to the point it becomes unbearable sometimes, which reminded me that so many games have terrible TAA implementations indeed, and how gamers had to tolerate them without a solution in sight, these games beg for a DLSS2 or a DLAA implementation. I don't remember encounturing that much blur in any DLSS2 title, even on DLSS Performance.
DLSS 1. Which was still praised as awesome by a certain group.

So I've been playing around with DLSS now that I have CP2077.

I wanted 60fps at native 1440p with high settings + some medium along with medium ray traced lighting.

Now this is impossible on a single 3060ti so I obviously need to use DLSS and I've been playing around with Nvidia DSR+DLSS combination with some interesting results.

To my eye 4k via DSR + DLSS ultra performance mode downscaled to 1440p actually looks better than native 1440p in some cases while being locked 60fps (I'm only 1hr in to the game)

Please see the attached and open in new tab to see the full effect.
These differences are about on par with the differences between FSR 1 and DLSS 2 given the FSR had a starting TAA to work with. Small in the grand scheme of things but they are there.

Last edited:
and the ghosting
Ghosting with TAA is far worse though. In motion TAA has it's fair share of terrible problems.

DLSS 1. Which was still praised as awesome by a certain group.
Battlefield V (the first DLSS1 title) takes the cake obviously. The rest like Anthem, Shadow of Tomb Raider, and Metro Exodus, had their pros and cons, but they were never that blurry.

Last edited:
Ghosting with TAA is far worse though. In motion TAA has it's fair baggage of terrible problems.

Battlefield V (the first DLSS1 title) takes the cake obviously. The rest like Anthem, Shadow of Tomb Raider, and Metro Exodus, had their pros and cons, but they were never that blurry.
Yes they were. They were all quite terrible. The only one that had some merit was FFXV where the TAA was actually broken.

They were all quite terrible. The only one that had some merit was FFXV where the TAA was actually broken.
I categorically don't agree with that statement, I played all 3 games fine with DLSS1. Anthem was near perfect, still is by the way. Metro had Vaseline like problems and it improved with patches, and Shadow of Tomb Raider was good. FF XV was good too. Battlefield V remains the absolute worse of all time, but that's understandable as it was very early, and lacked the sharpening pass of later games.

If they don't bother you good for you, but it doesn't mean they're not there.
(also I didn't even mention the horrible halo effect because whatever that thing surrounded by halo is wasn't in the other screenshot at all)
I never said they wasn't there, as a whole image and factoring in the extra 20fps I get I'm happy with what it presents.

My eyes aren't drawn out to detail that's far back, the closer distance is what I focus on which appears a little sharper to my eyes.

Last edited:

Dying Light 2 is awful in this regard, no matter what I do I can't get a sharp and clear image.

Btw, Resident Evil 2 Remake is also going to receive a patch featuring DLSS.

Btw, Resident Evil 2 Remake is also going to receive a patch featuring DLSS.
Really? RE2?

Really? RE2?
my bad, I meant a mod not a patch.
Looks like the RE2 thing is a mod, not an official patch.

That's exactly the news I was talking about but I shared it on the XeSS thread. Also Resident Evil Village is going to receive a much needed mod featuring great reconstruction technologies, at last.

my bad, I meant a mod not a patch.

That's exactly the news I was talking about but I shared it on the XeSS thread. Also Resident Evil Village is going to receive a much needed mod featuring great reconstruction technologies, at last.
Damn.. You had my hopes up there for a second that RE Engine would get DLSS support.

Hopefully Capcom officially adds support eventually. I'd love to see RE4Remake support it.

Will have to see how good the mod implementation is. Maybe it could be the thing that spurs Capcom into action? :giggle:

Damn.. You had my hopes up there for a second that RE Engine would get DLSS support.

Hopefully Capcom officially adds support eventually. I'd love to see RE4Remake support it.

Will have to see how good the mod implementation is. Maybe it could be the thing that spurs Capcom into action? :giggle:
well, I can tell. After having my first real glimpse at how good DLSS can be trying several games with XeSS -DLSS can be slightly better overall, though XeSS is sometimes very close or even better though in minor instances-, DLSS has to be pretty darn amazing. It is like watching a jaggie-less animation movie.:)

I even got into a shopping spree after XeSS games, I have most of them all now. Some are games that I'd probably wouldn't try if it weren't for that and I am discovering a few decent games in the process. I prefer DLSS over native tbh -judging from the videos I've seen, I don't have a modern nVidia GPU-

Last edited:
Not really linked to DLSS, but I'm using DLDSR for the first time with Sniper Elite 5, and the 1.78x is producing a very nice picture (in my case, native is 3440*1440). The perfs dip a little, but still highs fps. DLDSR 1.78X with TAA off is more stable and "sharp" than native with ultra taa. And no weird bug. Months ago I tried it in another game, and the game just didn't start sometime (just a black screen), or the mouse was not moving in the whole screen space, it was weird. If you have gpu cycle to spare, it's nice. Now, I'll to try combine DLDSR with DLSS in game supporting that...

after getting used to dozens of DLSS vs native comparisons, testing the 11 XeSS compatible games that I have, I can't help but think that like 95% of 4K native games have horrible AA, they look so ugly. In fact, without reconstruction techniques I find my games look a bit disappointing even if it's just too easy to run games from 2020 and before at 4K 120fps these days. This is a screengrab I took today when playing Totally Reliable Delivery Service :mrgreen: at native 4K, maxed out settings and AA enabled.

FOYBpr3.png

Back