Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now the fast SSD is no longer there to lower the memory footprint and stream in textures, assets, ... when they are needed.
Xss doesnt have ps5 io as far as I know and even if in future direct storage will be inplemented usage will be limited rather to loading faster games not during gameplay as you are very gpu limited here with 4tf (not taking account additional work needed to workaround ram limitation)

Xss doesnt have ps5 io as far as I know and even if in future direct storage will be inplemented usage will be limited rather to loading faster games not during gameplay as you are very gpu limited here with 4tf (not taking account additional work needed to workaround ram limitation)

XSS like XSX have hardware decompressor. People forget there is more than graphical assets in RAM. There are some buffer generated at runtime, BVH or other data structure, data linked to the CPU like entity of a level. For example, Epic said they were fighting memory limit for creating Matrix Awakens demo and I suppose the problem wasn't on PS5 and XSX. If XSS had 12 Gb like Xbox One X it would probably not be a problem at all.

I think the size limit for BVH is 2GB for example but they are probably on in more in hundred MB. There are some other datastructure for Nanite, I think there is a BVH if I remember well linked to LOD. There is Gbuffer. If this is software lumen there is some SDF or mesh SDF an so on.

Last edited:
Reactions: snc
Yes, and they are using the same assets on the Series S version, which was the original point.
And my original points is that series s has 8gb ram available vs 13 on ps5/xsx and that the difference so you either targets your assets for 8gb or do more work ;)

And my original points is that series s has 8gb ram available vs 13 on ps5/xsx and that the difference so you either targets your assets for 8gb or do more work ;)
Of course it requires more work, but that work need not involve building an entirely new set of assets for the Series S version. (You were talking before about doing "double the work").

Of course it requires more work, but that work need not involve building an entirely new set of assets for the Series S version. (You were talking before about doing "double the work").
Maybe shouldnt use double as I dont know how much more. Generaly when we see crossgens like ragnarok we see using same assets for both version as its just need more work to have separate (even if it has one of biggest budget in Sony catalogue). And similarly I understand why some devs are not happy with ram constraints of xss.

Last edited:
???
You know you have different asset quality (less polygons, lower res textures, ...) for different view distances, do you?
Just don't load the best quality of the asset and it needs less memory. As I wrote before, you do the work if you want it or not.

???
You know you have different asset quality (less polygons, lower res textures, ...) for different view distances, do you?
Just don't load the best quality of the asset and it needs less memory. As I wrote before, you do the work if you want it or not.
We are talking here rather about lod0 assets, improving lod, draw distance etc for sure is not that work demanding.

And here we are again :)
They will just downscale everything until it runs.
Some people making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill. You can downgrade everything to fit a target you want - there's nothing stopping devs downgrading their game to run on PS4, or PS3, or even PS1.

Ultimately they decide when it's right to put in that effort and when to move on. In the past, AFAIK, there were no restrictions placed by the platform holders. Now there is. No-one actually answered my question with a straight answer, all deciding to respond with an unnecessary 'counter' argument against a point I never raised.

The explicit quote I queried was:
Altho it's also possible devs will eventually just ignore Xbox series s in general

To whit I asked:
Are they allowed to [ignore Xbox Series S]?
To answer my own question, reading between the lines of everyone saying it doesn't matter, no, devs are not allowed to ignore Xbox Series S; they have to release on it. At no point have I made or implied any level of impact on game development as a result. It's close enough to the big consoles that it likely will make no impact, just being a performance cutback as Inuhanyou later clarified. It's also possible a lower-spec PC will always be a minimum target.

The whole point is that, for the first time ever, devs are having a minimum target spec set for them. That's a qualitative difference I just wanted to be sure about.

No-one actually answered my question with a straight answer, all deciding to respond with an unnecessary 'counter' argument against a point I never raised.
Try signing up for the Xbox Developer program and see what's required to release a game. That's about the only way anyone would know for absolute certainty other than going off general statements many have paraphrased.

Maybe shouldnt use double as I dont know how much more. Generaly when we see crossgens like ragnarok we see using same assets for both version as its just need more work to have separate (even if it has of biggest budget in Sony catalogue). And similarly I understand why some devs are not happy with ram constraints of xss.
Horizon Forbidden West does use higher quality assets on the PS5 version. But these games are targeting 4K60/30 on the PS5, which is a 4X higher resolution already. So there is less performance left for a "generational" boost to visuals. The true "next generation" games will likely be targeting 1440p on the PS5/XSX and 900p on the Series S. At that point, any comparable PS4 version would be at 480p or lower.

Horizon Forbidden West does use higher quality assets on the PS5 version.
Horizon did but majority of crossgegns didnt as the reason is that its not that easy to scale as some suggested and it needs work (also interesting remark John said in ps4 vs ps5 rangarok video that Sony Santa monica said it was easier for Guerilla games to improve visualy ps5 version as they use more procedural generation).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back