Enemies new Unity demo

It's looking good, but not "only 30fps" good imo. It reminds me some 3d marks scenes. Nothing too crazy but fps tanked... I don't know... what about a demo about less stuttering /better loading of assets and real time shaders compilation ?

That fringing around the hair and body just bugs the hell out of me, it's the only thing I can see whenever I look at it now. I really REALLY want to know what the heck is going on with that. Whatever it is, if this ever makes it into a game, hopefully there will be a way to disable it.

Pre-rendered CGI doesn't have that image destroying (IMO) fringe around characters, however. In this particular shot it really makes the hair look bad (especially on the left side).

Regards,
SB

I really watched the video several times at your mentioned timeframe, but it's hard to see for me and i have absolutely no problem with it. For me the demo looks great.

It seems we're deep in the uncanny valley, where small things can totally bug us, but it's depending a lot on the individual. For me it's all the UE5 demos with dynamic lightning, they are totally irritating me, because Lumen is too slow during light changes, while many people like it.

The demo is definitely visually “wow”. But how much of this actually works well in the game?

I hate to say this, but when I check the new adaptive irradiance volume system from the demo, it is definitely far from production ready. There’s still no solution preventing basic light leaking, and remember we are in 2022. And in many cases, we have to write our own gi solutions no matter how fancy Unity’s builtin ones look. (Admittedly, it is quite easy to write your own gi system based on SRP, which I have to give credits to Unity)

They released the executable today. It's ~1GB

I will say, it's heavily downgraded from the original video they posted. The lighting isn't nearly as good, the hair is massively downgraded as well.

Still good looking... but it doesn't have quite the same punch.

I took a quick comparison pic. I ran the demo in ultrawide which crops the top and bottom, sorry about that, but I wanted to do it in as high of a resolution as I could. You can clearly see the lighting and mostly the hair is completely different and far more artificial looking, which really takes away from the realism. The extremely high resolution also takes away from the realism. Still looks incredible to be sure though, but I'd love to see the original running on my rig, as well as some more post processing effects.

Still thankful they released this. They're going to be releasing that Lions tech demo next year at some point as well.

7680x3200 Ultra preset. ~25fps

My screen:
5.jpg

Trailer:
6.jpg

Scalability of this demo is nice. Here is it running on my 2060 laptop with custom settings.

koko.png

RT turned on for reflections and shadows has by far the biggest impact on graphics fidelity, I recommend leaving these on.

Seems like Unity has a great and efficient RT implementation. The hit to performance is minimal compared to what you are getting. Here is a comparison: https://imgsli.com/MTMyNTk1

Last edited:
Runs really badly on a 4090, doesn't seem to utilize the GPU all that much though. Native has really bad aliasing, DLSS seems to apply FSR going by the UI, seems bit half baked.

Back