All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2022 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That just made me a little curious about how sales were lining up for the various consoles. Take the following with an appropriate dose of salt. VGChartz historical data tends to be fairly accurate as they'll revise their estimates as more solid data comes in but their current data can be off by +/- a bit. IMO, their current numbers are generally at least close enough to give a rough ballpark idea of how things stand.

That said. Take with a little bit of salt (or a lot if you really don't trust their numbers :)).

The main thing I'm taking away from this is how MS has been able to increase production of XBS consoles (+1.236 million units sold YTD compared to the same YTD period a year ago) while Sony is still unable to produce as many consoles as they were capable of producing a year ago (-1.381 million units sold YTD compared to the same YTD a year ago).

That means that due to Sony's inability to produce even as many PS5s as they were capable of producing a year ago, the sales gap between the PlayStation and Xbox Series consoles continues to close. The gap is now ~1.375 : 1 in favor of PS5.

To better illustrate just how things have changed.
  • YTD 2021 (Jan. 1 - Sept. 10) - PS5 sold ~1.82 PS5s for every XBS console that was sold.
  • YTD 2022 (Jan. 1 - Sept. 10) - PS5 sold ~1.15 PS5s for every XBS console that was sold.
I'd absolutely love to know why Sony apparently have so many problems manufacturing PS5s. Of course, this is all relative. Sony are still barely making and selling more PS5s than Microsoft are making and selling XBS consoles. But while production has decreased for Sony, it has increased for Microsoft.

Regards,
SB

This weeks numbers from Famitsu

Switch OLED Model – 55,646 (2,678,496)
Switch – 26,944 (18,719,387)
PlayStation 5 – 26,380 (1,684,810)
Xbox Series S – 11,635 (190,092)
Switch Lite – 3,982 (4,895,210)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 3,142 (270,393)
Xbox Series X – 544 (160,335)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 41 (1,188,750)
PlayStation 4 – 10 (7,819,882)

The Diofield only hit the top 10 for the Switch.

Switch OLED Model – 55,646 (2,678,496)
Switch – 26,944 (18,719,387)
PlayStation 5 – 26,380 (1,684,810)
Xbox Series S – 11,635 (190,092)
Switch Lite – 3,982 (4,895,210)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 3,142 (270,393)
Xbox Series X – 544 (160,335)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 41 (1,188,750)
PlayStation 4 – 10 (7,819,882)

The Diofield only hit the top 10 for the Switch.

I am really impressed with how well the Series S is doing in japan. That is a really tough market for a traditional console to break into.

I am hearing the steam deck is doing really well also

I am really impressed with how well the Series S is doing in japan. That is a really tough market for a traditional console to break into.

I am hearing the steam deck is doing really well also

It wouldn't surprise me if the Steam Deck was doing better in Japan than the PS5.

The Japanese source (an interview with 2 Valve engineers)

No numbers, of course, but just speculation on my part based on how quickly PC gaming is growing in Japan in the past few years combined with how surprised Valve were by Steam Deck pre-orders in Japan. They knew PC was growing fast there (Steam sales numbers) and that handheld gaming is king there (Phones and NSW), so they likely were expecting good pre-order numbers for Japan prior to launch, but they were still surprised by demand for the device.

Regards,
SB

It wouldn't surprise me if the Steam Deck was doing better in Japan than the PS5.

The Japanese source (an interview with 2 Valve engineers)

No numbers, of course, but just speculation on my part based on how quickly PC gaming is growing in Japan in the past few years combined with how surprised Valve were by Steam Deck pre-orders in Japan. They knew PC was growing fast there (Steam sales numbers) and that handheld gaming is king there (Phones and NSW), so they likely were expecting good pre-order numbers for Japan prior to launch, but they were still surprised by demand for the device.

Regards,
SB

Steam deck is the perfect melding of high end gaming with switch like portability. It's perfect for that japanese market.

No numbers, of course, but just speculation on my part based on how quickly PC gaming is growing in Japan in the past few years combined with how surprised Valve were by Steam Deck pre-orders in Japan.
The story appears to be predicated on SteamDeck sales. Mobile gaming has always been massive in Japan.

There is no information - including from Valve - that actual software sales in Japan are growing. Don't read too much into these types of reports, this is über low grade reporting.

The story appears to be predicated on SteamDeck sales. Mobile gaming has always been massive in Japan.

There is no information - including from Valve - that actual software sales in Japan are growing. Don't read too much into these types of reports, this is über low grade reporting.

Look at the original interview (you'll have to translate it from Japanese). The information is straight from Valve employees (Erik Peterson, Ricky Uy and Lawrence Yang).

While no numbers were given Erik Peterson mentioned that PC gaming in Japan is growing rapidly right now which is the first reason given for bringing the Steam Deck to Japan. The second reason that he gives is that handheld gaming is very strong in Japan.

Ricky Uy mentions that pre-orders were stronger than they predicted while Lawrence Yang mentioned that sales of the Steam deck have been increasing in Japan since it launched there.

Basically there was more demand than Valve expected despite knowing that PC gaming was growing and that handheld devices were popular. As well demand and thus sales for the Steam Deck continues to increase in Japan.

Regards,
SB

Look at the original interview (you'll have to translate it from Japanese). The information is straight from Valve employees (Erik Peterson, Ricky Uy and Lawrence Yang).

While no numbers were given Erik Peterson mentioned that PC gaming in Japan is growing rapidly right now which is the first reason given for bringing the Steam Deck to Japan. The second reason that he gives is that handheld gaming is very strong in Japan.

Ricky Uy mentions that pre-orders were stronger than they predicted while Lawrence Yang mentioned that sales of the Steam deck have been increasing in Japan since it launched there.

Basically there was more demand than Valve expected despite knowing that PC gaming was growing and that handheld devices were popular. As well demand and thus sales for the Steam Deck continues to increase in Japan.

Regards,
SB

PC gaming is growing, but so fast in Japan surprises me abit. Do you read japanese btw?

Were their numbers showing Steam software sales were growing in Japan, Valve would definitely have said that. That's a good growth news and data that dovetails with their announcement. Valve didn't say that. You're reading more into this than exists. :yep2:

One million? Suddenly the Xbox Series M doesn't sound that much stupid...

The great thing about my steam deck is I already own hundreds of games for the platform.

The great thing about an xbox series M esp if it can run series s versions of the games natively is that you'd have a huge library of games if you have bought digitally in the xbox eccosystem before and then you can subscribe to game pass and get access to hundreds more.

One million? Suddenly the Xbox Series M doesn't sound that much stupid...
PSP sold 79m (crazy right?) and PS Vita - which is generally considered a failure - sold 16m units.

I think the argument for Series M would be will it sell more software/subscriptions than what Microsoft already sell? I don't know the answer to that.

PSP sold 79m (crazy right?) and PS Vita - which is generally considered a failure - sold 16m units.

I think the argument for Series M would be will it sell more software/subscriptions than what Microsoft already sell? I don't know the answer to that.
Or if they made a profit directly on the hardware ?

But a portable series s could make inroads for more mobile countries like japan

Me either, Japan has also been a massively into portable gaming. It was always dwarf home consoles with home consoles dwarfing PCs in terms of hardware.

No numbers, of course, but just speculation on my part based on how quickly PC gaming is growing in Japan in the past few years combined with how surprised Valve were by Steam Deck pre-orders in Japan.

And speculating, SteamDeck may - nay should - help move more Steam games in Japan. Folks who never considered a PC for whatever reason and now own a SteamDeck will likely be buying games. But there is no data for this so far. Again, if there were, the Valve people would have mentioned a peak on software sales.

Japan is a very weird place though, it may be many people are using their SteamDecks in ways that really isn't peaking Steam software sales there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Me either, Japan has also been a massively into portable gaming. It was always dwarf home consoles with home consoles dwarfing PCs in terms of hardware.

And speculating, SteamDeck may - nay should - help move more Steam games in Japan. Folks who never considered a PC for whatever reason and now own a SteamDeck will likely be buying games. But there is no data for this so far. Again, if there were, the Valve people would have mentioned a peak on software sales.

Japan is a very weird place though, it may be many people are using their SteamDecks in ways that really isn't peaking Steam software sales there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Emulation

It's also a reason why the series s is popular.

I can play every game from every system ever made up through ps3/x360 and switch

Switch OLED Model – 47,042 (2,725,538)
Switch – 20,974 (18,740,181)
PlayStation 5 – 15,101 (1,699,911)
Xbox Series S – 9,663 (199,755)
Xbox Series X – 3,401 (163,736)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 2,975 (273,368)
Switch Lite – 2,549 (4,897,759)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 27 (1,188,777)
PlayStation 4 – 14 (7,819,896)

Emulation

It's also a reason why the series s is popular.

I can play every game from every system ever made up through ps3/x360 and switch

I do not get this emulation craze, I don't get this thing about playing old games that you already played. I get nostalgia etc, but it grows old fast in my book.

I do not get this emulation craze, I don't get this thing about playing old games that you already played. I get nostalgia etc, but it grows old fast in my book.

Not sure what you don't get about it. When I was a kid growing up in the 80s and 90s there were thousands if not tens of thousands of games already out that I just never had the time to play but still wanted to play. Now I am in my 40s and have some free time and its great to go back and play some of those games from back in the day. There are also games that I loved when I was a kid and its been 20-30 years since I last played them.

Then you take someone like my nephew who is 13 and is loving playing through all the old games that came out decades before he was born. What's more he loves sitting down with his father and myself and playing some of our favorite games from when we were young.

I mean have you never seen a movie or show more than once or read a book a second time ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back