Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019-2021]

Depends on the contract. If the contract was for a delivered (IE - finished) project by the developer then Google doesn't technically owe them anything. If it's based on percentage of generated revenue or profits, again, Google may not owe them anything.

Hell, if the contract was paid at certain development milestones, it's quite possible that a developer will have received little to no money depending on where in development their project was. For example, leaving alpha or beta or reaching a playable state (placeholder assets are fine) could be trigger milestones for payment and reaching those milestones can be expensive (time, effort and money).

Regards,
SB
Yes I know that is why I said it depends on the contract.

You are right that the developer may have recieved no money and google owes them no money. But at the same time they have a partial game to shop around. Netflix is looking , I am sure MS is always looking and then there are other companies out there that may want to pick up a partially completed game

The hardware is just a chrome cast and bluetooth controller. No one will get refunds.
They put in their message that people would get refunds if they bought it through the Google store.

We will be refunding all Stadia hardware purchases made through the Google Store, and all game and add-on content purchases made through the Stadia store.

Aren't Netflix using Stadia as the base for their Game system? Or did I get that mixed up?

Also

Feel bad for the guy that has 6K hour playing time on RDR2 on Stadia, he is begging for char transfer.

Last edited:
They put in their message that people would get refunds if they bought it through the Google store.

Aren't Netflix using Stadia as the base for their Game system? Or did I get that mixed up?

Also

Feel bad for the guy that has 6K hour playing time on RDR2 on Stadia, he is begging for char transfer.

That is good news to stadia owners I guess , esp if they get to keep the hardware.

I don't think Netflix is using stadia , I think its their own internal tech.

If Google was so reliant on Zenimax they should have just bought them when Zenimax started shoping themselves around. Seems really odd to place the success of your product on a 3rd party company only.
It could have been that the decision had something to do with how they viewed the industry before the acquisition and how they viewed the industry after the acquisition. Before Microsoft purchased Zenimax, what was the most significant purchase in the console gaming industry? If they expected purchases to continue to be less than the purchase of Mojang, they were probably fine with that and likely to make their own. The purchase of Zenimax was likely the first clear sign that they were dealing with Microsoft proper and not just Microsoft Game Studios. Phil also made clear that Alphabet, Facebook, and Amazon were the real competition if they really wanted to be...thank goodness that Alphabet didn't.

With that said, 3rd party companies is where it is at. I don't know about you, but 3rd party companies have made most of my memorable gaming experiences.

With that said, 3rd party companies is where it is at. I don't know about you, but 3rd party companies have made most of my memorable gaming experiences.

In the context of Stadia, that was part of it's downfall. They could only ever hope to gather a fraction of the support consoles and PCs have. xCloud, PS Now, Luma and Geforce Now all piggyback the 3rd party support from their associated platforms.

It could have been that the decision had something to do with how they viewed the industry before the acquisition and how they viewed the industry after the acquisition. Before Microsoft purchased Zenimax, what was the most significant purchase in the console gaming industry? If they expected purchases to continue to be less than the purchase of Mojang, they were probably fine with that and likely to make their own. The purchase of Zenimax was likely the first clear sign that they were dealing with Microsoft proper and not just Microsoft Game Studios. Phil also made clear that Alphabet, Facebook, and Amazon were the real competition if they really wanted to be...thank goodness that Alphabet didn't.

Trecent bought Supercell for 8.6B in 2016 which was higher than the 8.1B that Microsoft bought ZeniMax for. Adjusted for inflation it was only 9.7B in todays money. Activision bought king for 5.9B in 2015. Microsoft bought Mojang for 2.5b in 2014 .
People think Zenimax was some big industry shattering purchase but there were other big purchases before and slowly purchases have been getting bigger as the gaming market continues to grow.

Trecent bought Supercell for 8.6B in 2016 which was higher than the 8.1B that Microsoft bought ZeniMax for. Adjusted for inflation it was only 9.7B in todays money. Activision bought king for 5.9B in 2015. Microsoft bought Mojang for 2.5b in 2014 .
People think Zenimax was some big industry shattering purchase but there were other big purchases before and slowly purchases have been getting bigger as the gaming market continues to grow.
Most of those have a more mobile slant to them where it is clear that the intention of the purpose is the pursue the mobile market, whereas ZeniMax, most people would surmise the purchase has more to do with PC and Console gaming.

Last edited:
Most of those have a more mobile slant to them where it is clear that the intention of the purpose is the pursue the mobile market, whereas ZeniMax, most people would surmise the purchase has more to do with PC and Console gaming.

Yes they have a slant towards the larger portion of the market. Who would have thought.

My point was how Google might have viewed the home console industry before the purchase of Zenimax and after the purchase. To this day, I don't think the mobile market played much of a role in the decisions Google made around Stadia. I even said console gaming industry when I brought up the most significant purchases.

My point was how Google might have viewed the home console industry before the purchase of Zenimax and after the purchase. To this day, I don't think the mobile market played much of a role in the decisions Google made around Stadia. I even said console gaming industry when I brought up the most significant purchases.

So is streaming the console industry or something else? UK seems to think its something entirely different

I love definitions that change to suit needs.
Before Google and Amazon started their ventures, how many companies were really streaming games? Nvidia?, Sony? There might have been others that are no longer around, but there are not very many models to follow when they structure their business plans. I thought it was plain to see that they followed the console model when setting up their streaming services. This is especially true in Google's case, as you supposedly "own" the games you are streaming. And they are selling branding console-like controllers with their services. I thought it was clear that they wanted their services to appear like those of Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo without having consumers buy comparatively expensive hardware and, at the same time, leverage the cloud resources at their disposal. It is also why Google, Amazon, and Facebook are/were a perceived threat to the traditional console market.

Before Google and Amazon started their ventures, how many companies were really streaming games? Nvidia?, Sony? There might have been others that are no longer around, but there are not very many models to follow when they structure their business plans. I thought it was plain to see that they followed the console model when setting up their streaming services. This is especially true in Google's case, as you supposedly "own" the games you are streaming. And they are selling branding console-like controllers with their services. I thought it was clear that they wanted their services to appear like those of Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo without having consumers buy comparatively expensive hardware and, at the same time, leverage the cloud resources at their disposal. It is also why Google, Amazon, and Facebook are/were a perceived threat to the traditional console market.

How would I know ? Google and amazon could have started 3 years ago , 5 years ago , 10 years ago. I only know when they officially announce. Stadia had a closed beta in 2018 that leaked and was launched Nov of 2019. By that point in time Sony had already purchased Gaikai and onlive and had Playstation now running as of 2012 , Nvidia Grid launched in 2013 , Ubits was around in 2014 with DQX for the 3ds , Blade's shadow launched in 2017 and expanded into the usa in 2019.

Then Google and MS announced their cloud gaming services in 2018. Amazon announced its gaming service luna in 2020. Asus and Intel announced Boosteroid.

So no idea what google knew and when. But hey google just announced it canceled the Pixelbook and shut down the team building it.

I wonder if that's cause they found out other companies have been making laptops for decades too

Google looks like it will be partnering with Nvidia's Geforce Now and Amazon's Luna for it's cloud gaming Chromebooks.

Chromebooks will now support three leading cloud gaming platforms — Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta), NVIDIA GeForce NOW and Amazon Luna2 — bringing with them full PC and console games straight from the cloud.

Cloud gaming Chromebooks will come with new offers that get you gaming right out of the box. New cloud gaming Chromebooks come with a three-month trial to Amazon Luna+ and NVIDIA GeForce NOW’s RTX3080 tier.4

Back