Oculus Quest | Meta Quest 2

That makes me wonder of Nintendo will come out of nowhere with something VR. Nvidia could certainly help make that happen with all the VR work they've done.

Like the 3DS which had cautions and warnings for kids using it?

yes and it was advertised to turn off the 3D effect for kids.
For VR....you can't turn off the VR effect !
And the other problem for Nintendo is that cheap VR sucks, and they don't want expensive gear.
But maybe in a few years they might enter the market, depending on its evolution.

It is a problem that Nintendo itself has addressed. In December, the company posted a warning on its Japanese website suggesting that children of six or under should not play 3D games on the 3DS; 2D games are unaffected.

PSVR was advertised as not suited for kids under 12.

That does not exist on quest 2 sadly, there is high2earth which is quite good, but it does not feature as much 3d data as google earth, it uses bing maps instead

I'm interested, but i would also like the app to directly stream my XsS local games so the quality would be a lot better.

So does this support eye tracked foveated rendering or not?

I'd imagine if it did, they'd come right out and say that... and they don't. Which makes this a massively missed opportunity... This is exactly the type of platform that would benefit most from it.

Anyway... at $2300CAD they can kiss my.... whether it supports it or not lol

It's not meant for general consumers. It's solidly targeting business and professional users.

Eye tracking, face tracking, high resolution video pass through, ability to map your surroundings, etc. Its focus is on offering an AR like experience within a VR headset.

Basically it has way more capabilities available than are needed for gaming. You could still game on it, and it'd likely be a great experience, but that isn't its target market or what the headset was developed for.

The FOV is wide enough that they actually sell "light blockers" to give it a more VR feel when using VR apps. :p

5 outward looking sensors, 5 inward looking sensors and 2 cameras on the controllers. Interesting stuff.

It can do foveated rendering but they have chosen not to enable it yet as they claim it could affect battery life on the Quest Pro. PSVR2 doesn't have that issue since it's a tethered device.

Eye-tracking also can enable better graphics through a technology called foveated rendering, which only focuses on high-res details in the center of wherever your eye is looking. The PlayStation VR 2 uses this tech, but the Quest Pro didn't have it enabled in my demos. In between demos in Redmond, Zuckerberg told us that the decision to add foveated rendering isn't a slam dunk: It could affect battery life, which, according to Meta, is already only one to two hours on the Quest Pro. Maybe that's why it wasn't activated yet, or perhaps early-wave app developers in my demos haven't yet figured out how to optimize for it.

Controllers are smaller and lighter and have haptic feedback. There's also a sensor that allows you to "squeeze" something in VR with varying levels of pressure.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
There is a HP Reverb G2 Omnicept Edition that had foveated rendering and eye tracking in early 2021. Tobii and NVidia tech. It's going to be interesting to try that with PSVR2 and finally see what it amounts to.

Last edited:
i wonder if they'll make the quest pro controllers compatible with Quest 2, would be a nice upgrade, and then compatible with Quest 3.

Back