NVidia Ada Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, although hopefully it will be playable on a 4090 with DLSS2 only or else even with DLSS3 it probably won't be playable on lower end 4xxx cards.

BTW, do we know if all DLSS3 games will support DLSS 2 for older gen ? Or we'll get screwed like "oh, you need a 4xxxx for DLSS in this game" ?

BTW, do we know if all DLSS3 games will support DLSS 2 for older gen ? Or we'll get screwed like "oh, you need a 4xxxx for DLSS in this game" ?
It looks like the frame generation part of DLSS3 is a subset, with Turing and Ampere supporting the base DLSS3 without that feature.

It looks like the frame generation part of DLSS3 is a subset, with Turing and Ampere supporting the base DLSS3 without that feature.
The "Super Resolution" component of DLSS3 is DLSS2.x. So yes, it will work.

There's no reason they wouldn't. DLSS3 has everything DLSS2 had plus a few things like frame generation handled by the Optical Flow accelerator which Ampere and Turing have but they're reportedly too slow to be beneficial so that's why they cannot use DLSS3.

The "Super Resolution" component of DLSS3 is DLSS2.x. So yes, it will work.
AFAIK no one really came forward yet and cleary said, yes, we're gonna make it work independently of frame generation in every game, though. I'm not counting on GeForce 900 series automagically receiving nv reflex tech with every DLSS3 game either.

My guess is, it will depend on a given game, whether or not DLSS3 is available as a single package or in tasty snippets.

For eSports users who might want to achieve the lowest latency, will it be possible to only enable NVIDIA DLSS 2 (Super Resolution) + Reflex without the DLSS Frame Generation that improves FPS but also increases system latency?

Our guidelines for DLSS 3 encourage developers to expose both a master DLSS On/Off switch, as well as individual feature toggles for Frame Generation, Super Resolution, and Reflex, so users have control and can configure the exact settings they prefer. Note that while DLSS Frame Generation can add roughly a half frame of latency, this latency is often mitigated by NVIDIA Reflex and DLSS Super Resolution - all part of the DLSS 3 package. NVIDIA Reflex reduces latency by synchronizing CPU and GPU, and DLSS Super Resolution reduces latency by decreasing the size of the render resolution.

AFAIK no one really came forward yet and cleary said, yes, we're gonna make it work independently of frame generation in every game, though. I'm not counting on GeForce 900 series automagically receiving nv reflex tech with every DLSS3 game either.

My guess is, it will depend on a given game, whether or not DLSS3 is available as a single package or in tasty snippets.

Just read Introducing DLSS3.
DLSS 2 is a step needed for DLSS 3.

Just read Introducing DLSS3.
DLSS 2 is a step needed for DLSS 3.
I read that and got that. But no one explicitly confirmed, that the DLSS2-part (or the Reflex part for that matter) will be available independently - or better: That Nvidia is requiring developers to offer each DLSS-stepping stone on its own.

You can see them toggling frame generation on/off in the Spider-Man test. There’d be absolutely no reason that every DLSS3 game shouldn’t support DLSS2 when all it adds are frame generation and Reflex, both of which are features that can easily be turned off.

You can see them toggling frame generation on/off in the Spider-Man test. There’d be absolutely no reason that every DLSS3 game shouldn’t support DLSS2 when all it adds are frame generation and Reflex, both of which are features that can easily be turned off.
I saw in the video, that the parts could be turned off with a DLSS3-enabled card. And there are many things for which absolutely no reason exists, yet they do. I hope everyone will be able to enjoy as many of DLSS3's pieces as possible, but I remain sceptical until I see it all or at least many of the games.

Put it another way: If it's so clear cut, why has no one stepped forward and spelled it out?

I saw in the video, that the parts could be turned off with a DLSS3-enabled card. And there are many things for which absolutely no reason exists, yet they do. I hope everyone will be able to enjoy as many of DLSS3's pieces as possible, but I remain sceptical until I see it all or at least many of the games.

Put it another way: If it's so clear cut, why has no one stepped forward and spelled it out?
Never heard of NDA? Release date is not far off ....

CarstenS's question isn't whether it can be done or not. It's whether NV will require that the user will be able to enable/disable each individual component or whether they only recommend that developers allow that functionality.

In the first case, it should ensure that there will be user accessible options for it in any game that supports DLSS 2-3, in the second case some developers may chose to not expose those options due to time, budget, laziness or whatever.

Regards,
SB

DLSS SDK is freely available. There are recommendations on how best to integrate it but ultimately it's up to the developers to decide which options and how they are exposing to end users.

Not sure why this needs to be said really, this has been the case for more than a year now and we got games with DLSS with varying options exposed.

Not much Nvidia can do with this.

I believe (I think they briefly mentioned this in the announcement somewhere as well?) is that they want to push to implement all these features via Streamline, and in that case all of these features are just separate plugins for Streamline. So you wouldn't actually implement DLSS 3 as something by itself (that has frame generation, upscaling, and the reflex low latency all in one), but you'd implement Streamline -> DLSS + Reflex + Frame Generation (or whatever it end up being called). At the moment Streamline has 4 plugins - DLSS, Reflex, NRD, and NIS. I believe each of these plugins itself than has a check if the hardware is supported and the DLSS check doesn't distinguish versions.

DLSS 3 as a term seems more like a marketing/branding term in terms of how it's currently being conveyed.

CarstenS's question isn't whether it can be done or not. It's whether NV will require that the user will be able to enable/disable each individual component or whether they only recommend that developers allow that functionality.

In the first case, it should ensure that there will be user accessible options for it in any game that supports DLSS 2-3, in the second case some developers may chose to not expose those options due to time, budget, laziness or whatever.

Regards,
SB
Seems a bit backward as a question. The only example we have shows that it can simply be toggled on and off. Why would you even assume it'll just be locked when it's much more sensible to extrapolate what we already have? The dev would have to intentionally lock out the user of DLSS2 which just seems like bizarre and pointless effort.

It's not a game console where Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo can mandate that things get implemented a particular way and have certification processes to ensure devs are following the mandate. Nvidia might be able to do that in a partnered game, but otherwise it's just SDKs that developers can use how they want.

Seems a bit backward as a question. The only example we have shows that it can simply be toggled on and off. Why would you even assume it'll just be locked when it's much more sensible to extrapolate what we already have? The dev would have to intentionally lock out the user of DLSS2 which just seems like bizarre and pointless effort.

Nobody is assuming that it'll be locked in any game just like no-one is assuming that it will be available in all games.

Ultimately it is up to the developer to implement those options into their game. You can easily see that on PC user accessible options to enable/disable or even adjust the quality settings of certain things may or may not be available. Some games allow you to select an ultra widescreen resolution, some don't. Some allow you to enable or disable motion blur, some do not. Some allow you to enable or disable depth of field, some do not.

Some games allow you to enable or disable NV sharpness settings with DLSS 2, some do not.

It does not matter if you can do it in one game because it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to do it in all games.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Nobody is assuming that it'll be locked in any game just like no-one is assuming that it will be available in all games.

Ultimately it is up to the developer to implement those options into their game. You can easily see that on PC user accessible options to enable/disable or even adjust the quality settings of certain things may or may not be available. Some games allow you to select an ultra widescreen resolution, some don't. Some allow you to enable or disable motion blur, some do not. Some allow you to enable or disable depth of field, some do not.

Some games allow you to enable or disable NV sharpness settings with DLSS 2, some do not.

It does not matter if you can do it in one game because it doesn't mean you'll be able to do it in all games.

Regards,
SB
If it's not available in all games, the dev would have to bizarrely force frame generation and Reflex whenever you turn on DLSS which would be strange. DLSS 3 is simply DLSS and Reflex+Frame Generation.

I think it's pretty easy to know how it's going to play out but if you need to see it in action in every game, I guess there's not much more to be said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back