AMD: Zen 4, Speculation, Rumours and Discussion

When do reviews drop? Trying to decide between 5000 system on sale or 7000....
If you need to buy a full system, inc motherboard and ram etc. then I'd wait. I just upgraded by X370 board with a 5700X CPU for a rather massive upgrade.

If you need to buy a full system, inc motherboard and ram etc. then I'd wait. I just upgraded by X370 board with a 5700X CPU for a rather massive upgrade.

I know this is a bit tangentially off-topic, but do any of the AMD motherboards have MultiGig Ethernet, like provide anything higher than single Gigabit such as 2.5 GB / 5 GB / 10 GB via GBase-T RJ45 ports?

I know this is a bit tangentially off-topic, but do any of the AMD motherboards have MultiGig Ethernet, like provide anything higher than single Gigabit such as 2.5 GB / 5 GB / 10 GB via GBase-T RJ45 ports?
Most mid-high tier motherboards nowaways have 2.5Gb ethernet. Anything higher is usually server-level stuff.

My B550 has 2.5Gb & it was lower-mid price among B550s.
Looking at whats currently around one of the top priced B550s has 2* 2.5Gb but its presumably sacrificing something to do that.
Mostly just single 2.5Gb.

Thanks.

I'm not at the point to be ready to upgrade, but once Zen4 platform is out and about it looks like a good time to.

In a surprise move, they're currently building out FIBER to my neighborhood. It looks like for around the price I'm currently paying for 940/35 mbit/s DOCSIS I could get 5 Gb symetrical offering from the new provider. Or I can get 2 Gb for less than half of what I currently pay. I started the upgrade process for my old servers to 10 Gb through PCI-Express NICs and waiting on the MultiGig Switch. It would have been nice to not need it for a new desktop system, but not a deal breaker in the least. It's nice to see 2.5 Gb is pretty much standard all around now.

I wonder why anyone who has the remotest interest in gaming would buy one of these instead of waiting for the V-Cache variants. I suppose the prospect of waiting for one of those, say June next year, stings.

I wonder why anyone who has the remotest interest in gaming would buy one of these instead of waiting for the V-Cache variants. I suppose the prospect of waiting for one of those, say June next year, stings.

They might becoming from even older setups. I know I'm coming from ancient cpu+mb+ram setup from the days of an 1070 GPU. The GPU prices being insane made me not to even bother with PC gaming anymore and then pandemic prices addon on too. Having a new mb+ram setup is a good starting point for a new base. I can always swap in the X3D cpu later.

Have about decided to just go with a 5800x or 5900x... don't really want to pay the DDR5 tax and the 7700x is 60% more $$$/core for ~30% more perf/core. I haven't done much modern gaming lately, so my question now is how many games max out 8 cores? I'd like to be able to do some modern gaming and still be able to alt-tab with other things running in the background and not have any issues.

EDIT: Went with the 5800x.

Last edited:
Maybe not a properly successful speed demon then.
The source for that does say its an Engineering Sample so production models may be better/could be features disabled on this.
May be a good representation of production though 🤷‍♂️
Could be overaggressive vcore on betabioses (or even retail bios)

Could be overaggressive vcore on betabioses (or even retail bios)

I'd be wary of that because of how well AMD does clock stretching. If you set your vcore too low on 5000-series, it won't necessarily mean crashes, the CPU will just clock stretch to essentially throttle to maintain stability. Many people undervolted their Ryzens and were amazed at how low power levels they could reach while nominally keeping clocks high, only to have the high hopes dashed when they actually benchmarked their cpus.

But still, early beta bios causes excessive power use is a very old tale.

The clock speeds floating around the internet are insane , hopefully this all core 6.4ghz 270 watt cb23 is achievable on a good aio. No chilled water or ln2.

Back