13:26 Nvidia GeForce GTX 780
14:30 Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
15:26 Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
16:22 Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080
17:39 Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080
19:15 Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080
20:04 Geforce 256 vs RTX 3090 Ti
20:25 Thank You for Watching

Nice roundup. Makes me feel old. First graphics card I bought was a GeForce 2 Pro.

NVIDIA & AMD Gain GPU Market Share While Overall Shipments Decrease By 19% In Q1 2022, Intel's Arc Still Missing!
June 1, 2022

MW_PRQ122-001.png

The latest GPU market share report has been published by JPR and shows that the overall market declined by 19% versus last year while both AMD & NVIDIA gained a bit (solely in terms of market capitalization and not shipments).

Coming to the vendor breakdown, NVIDIA saw the biggest market share increase of 1.69% and now stands at 21% while AMD's market share increased 0.7%, hitting 19% total GPU share. Intel's GPUs saw a decline of -2.4% and currently stand at 60% market share. The reason for Intel's GPU market share still being so high is because all of their CPUs with iGPUs are accounted for in the report. The overall shipments for NVIDIA increased by 3.2% while AMD and Intel saw a decline of -6.2% and -1.5 percent, respectively.

Discrete GPU Market Share (Q1 2022)
Q1’21Q4’21Q1’22
AMD19%18%17%
IntelNA5%4%
Nvidia81%78%78%

The discrete GPU market share is a different story where NVIDIA retained 78% market share from the previous quarter, AMD declined -by 1% to 17%, & Intel saw a -1% decline down to 4%. Do note that Intel's Arc GPUs were introduced at the tail end of Q1 2022 so they have yet to amount to any significant market share yet. The GPUs are also limited to certain markets at the moment so they won't be amounting to any significant market share till the end of 2022.
We also have more data coming in from Tech Analyst, Mike Bruzzone (Camp Marketing) who has reported a discrete GPU share of 80.67% for NVIDIA and 19.43% for AMD. According to the new statistics (1st week of 2022), NVIDIA's Ampere GPUs amount to 84.87% market share while AMD's RDNA 2 GPUs amount to 15.23% market share.

Last edited:
June 3, 2022
The Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 and 3070 were the fastest climbers in May, holding first and second place in this chart. In the third and fourth pace, jointly, are the RTX 3060 and the old GTX 1070. Before you choke over the GTX 1070's gains here, remember that such cards may be coming back into circulation as people sell their old GPUs to upgrade their PCs.

In previous months we lamented the sluggish growth of the RTX 30 series in the Steam Hardware Survey user data. It is straightforward to understand gamers holding off upgrading, though. Over H1 2022, we have seen some very encouraging new GPU pricing trends. PC gamers are buying again after holding their purses tight for many months.

enXcQAj9fM4Fb3ZC3dxCVJ-970-80.jpg.webp

Jesus, both the 1070 and the RX5700 are just terrible GPUs to buy now, given these GPUs do not have HW Raytracing and the DX12 Ultimate featureset. These people have no clue what they're getting into as we get closer and closer to the end of cross gen.

Most of them know exactly what they are getting into. For them RT is irrelevant this generation and they are likely waiting on both cheaper and higher performance RT cards before jumping in on RT. Like me. RT support in gfx cards is currently 99% irrelevant for me. The 1% is there just so I could enable it to see what a hint at what the future holds before disabling it in order to enjoy the game. It's what I do every time I check out games on a friend's system with a 12700k and 3090 Ti. For me, the performance hit is still not even remotely worth the graphical uplift even in the few titles where I judge DLSS Quality to provide a decent image quality when enabled.

We're likely still at least 5-6 years away from "cross-gen" going away. While I'm sure some must exist, I'm not currently aware of any games in development that will require RT hardware in order to run.

Regards,
SB

June 29, 2022
“We have to make the digital twin as realistic as possible and bring it as close as possible to the real world,” said Busch.

For Siemens customers, the design and simulation software NX is where their industrial equipment, machinery, and vehicles are conceived and defined. To breathe life into them as digital twins, the company needs an immersive virtual world where they can live. NVIDIA has already built such a world: NVIDIA Omniverse.
NVIDIA has been promoting Omniverse as the ideal digital environment for digital twins. With built-in physics, machine learning, and real-time visuals, Omniverse can be used to simulate the electromechanical behaviors of industrial equipment. Infrastructure company Bentley is one of the early adopters of Omniverse to host digital twins. Enterprise NVIDIA Omniverse users include Amazon, Kroger, Lowe’s, and PepsiCo.

Since Omniverse partnerships are not exclusive, many manufacturers will conceivably develop and maintain their own metaverses to house their digital twins.
Developing and maintaining a digital twin is a herculean task. It involves creating a dynamic 3D replica of a real-world object in the virtual world, establishing live links to real-time data, and maintaining a history of its peaks, lulls, and breakdowns. Therefore, once brought to life inside a metaverse, transferring it to a different environment is highly unlikely. Viewed in this light, depositing a digital twin into a metaverse is a lifelong commitment, and the locked in effect is unavoidable.

Siemens_and_NVIDIA_Industrial_Metaverse_1500px.jpg

Last edited:
The passage of the CHIPS Act has gained urgency as Intel has refused to move forward on its $20 billion US fab initiative until the legislation is passed. Of course, given the sizable cash influx that NVIDIA and other semiconductor companies stand to gain from this legislation, it is hardly surprising that investors have been responding positively to any development on this count.

This brings us to the crux of the matter. As per the latest Periodic Transaction Report filed by Nancy Pelosi, her husband Paul Pelosi recently exercised 200 call options related to 20,000 NVIDIA shares. These options were purchased back in 2021 and carried an exercise price of $100.
NVIDIA shares closed at $157.62 on Friday. Consequently, the Pelosis are currently sitting on unrealized gains worth around $1.152 million from the recent exercise of NVIDIA options, barring any transaction fees.
Should the CHIPS Act be approved within the next few days, NVIDIA shares are expected to extend nascent gains, netting a windfall for the Pelosis in the process.

The Pelosi's have accumulated 20,000 shares of $NVDA worth $8M+
All while a $52B CHIPS act has been stalled in Congress.

Yesterday Pelosi states, "We are determined that we will pass a bill" before congress heads to August recess.
$NVDA stock jumps 4% on the news.

— Nancy Pelosi Stock Tracker (@PelosiTracker_) July 15, 2022

Bear in mind that Nancy Pelosi and her husband have invested 3.3 percent of their portfolio in NVIDIA, as per a tabulation by UnusualWhales.

Good. Time to come back to reality. Serves them right for screwing over gamers with all this crypto BS.

Hope it tanks even harder.

Who are you talking about? Nvidia has zero relation to crypto and whatever they've tried to do with it was against it (LHR of various versions; limit on FE card sales; etc.)
I'm talking about Nvidia.

Zero relation? .... Their hardware POWERS it. They used it as a tool to take complete advantage of and rip off the gaming market and jack up prices gen over gen.

And don't give me that BS that they "tried"... they did the bare minimum possible to pretend like they gave a damn. Fooled some people apparently.

Zero relation? .... They used it as a tool to take complete advantage of and rip off the gaming market and jack up prices gen over gen.
What the hell are you talking about? 30 series MSRPs were generally lower than that of 20 series. They did introduce some SKUs with high prices amidst the crypto craze but these were few and far between and were introduced precisely because they grew tired of AIBs packing all the margin for themselves.

And don't give me that BS that they "tried"... they did the bare minimum possible to pretend like they gave a damn. Fooled some people apparently.
What exactly did you expect them to do? Stop selling all cards but FE models?

30 series MSRPs were generally lower than that of 20 series. They did introduce some SKUs with high prices amidst the crypto craze but these were few and far between and were introduced precisely because they grew tired of AIBs packing all the margin for themselves.

How do you explain Nvidia’s much higher revenue during the height of crypto if it was AIBs doing all the profiteering? Nvidia definitely grabbed a good chunk of that pie too.

How do you explain Nvidia’s much higher revenue during the height of crypto if it was AIBs doing all the profiteering? Nvidia definitely grabbed a good chunk of that pie too.
Volume of production and chip sales was considerably higher than expected during the whole 2021 and beginning of 2022.
Nvidia did get some of that through ASPs thanks to SKUs like 3080 12GB, Ti and the 3090Ti ($2500 or something?) but I doubt that this had a big impact on their overall margin, especially as these were launched at the tail end of the whole crypto bullshit.

Volume of production and chip sales was considerably higher than expected during the whole 2021 and beginning of 2022.
Nvidia did get some of that through ASPs thanks to SKUs like 3080 12GB, Ti and the 3090Ti ($2500 or something?) but I doubt that this had a big impact on their overall margin, especially as these were launched at the tail end of the whole crypto bullshit.

Those volumes were also driven by crypto right? On margins it’s hard for me to believe that Nvidia was passively allowing AIBs and retailers to rake in all the extra profit for so long. Even if Nvidia didn’t want to drive prices higher they had to be taking a cut. Supply and demand right?

What’s clear though is that Nvidia is unable to accurately predict short term demand. This seems to be true both on the upside and in the downturn.

“Our gaming product sell-through projections declined significantly as the quarter progressed, As we expect the macroeconomic conditions affecting sell-through to continue, we took actions with our Gaming partners to adjust channel prices and inventory.”

Those volumes were also driven by crypto right?
Sure, for the majority of 2021 in fact.

On margins it’s hard for me to believe that Nvidia was passively allowing AIBs and retailers to rake in all the extra profit for so long. Even if Nvidia didn’t want to drive prices higher they had to be taking a cut. Supply and demand right?
Hence the LHR initiative and CMP lineup. But after these essentially failed to stabilize the gaming market prices they went with "price grab" SKUs.
I think it should be easy to check Nvidia's margins during the crypto craze, I just did, and their gross margin % looks like this:

23Q1
65,5​
22Q4
65,4​
22Q3
65,2​
22Q2
64,8​
22Q1
64,1​
21Q4
63,1​
21Q3
62,6​
21Q2
58,8​
21Q1
65,1​

21Q1 is ended on April 26, 2020 so well in advance of crypto crap.
23Q1 is the same this year.
If there is some increase in margins over this period - it's at ~1% or so.

Edit: wow, that's a wide table.

Sure, for the majority of 2021 in fact.

Hence the LHR initiative and CMP lineup. But after these essentially failed to stabilize the gaming market prices they went with "price grab" SKUs.
I think it should be easy to check Nvidia's margins during the crypto craze, I just did, and their gross margin % looks like this:

23Q1
65,5​
22Q4
65,4​
22Q3
65,2​
22Q2
64,8​
22Q1
64,1​
21Q4
63,1​
21Q3
62,6​
21Q2
58,8​
21Q1
65,1​

21Q1 is ended on April 26, 2020 so well in advance of crypto crap.
23Q1 is the same this year.
If there is some increase in margins over this period - it's at ~1% or so.

Edit: wow, that's a wide table.

Interesting. Negligible growth in gross margin during the Ampere years. That’s compelling evidence that Nvidia shockingly hasn’t benefited much from higher retail prices.

What the hell are you talking about? 30 series MSRPs were generally lower than that of 20 series. They did introduce some SKUs with high prices amidst the crypto craze but these were few and far between and were introduced precisely because they grew tired of AIBs packing all the margin for themselves.

What exactly did you expect them to do? Stop selling all cards but FE models?
30 Series was locked in before all this crypto crap started taking off. The new SKUs that they did introduce, like the 3090ti... they did massively raise prices on. Why not, am I right? Give people a preview of what was to come with the 40 series. Of course they aren't going to raise MSRP for the 30 series cards already on the market... because they'd get raked over the coals, you can't claim you're trying to sell to gamers when you're targeting $1500+ for a GPU. You can be sure they ensured that GPUs would find their way into the hands of crypto miners.. to ensure that the crypto market was well fed and continued to boom... and they had a reason to do that for as long as possible. You just know they were hoping beyond hope that it would hold out for the launch of their 40 series cards... They absolutely would have hiked up those cards hundreds and hundreds of $$$ MSRP.

We got REALLY lucky that crypto crashed before the 40 series launched. They know they can get away with $1000+ GPUs now.

And yea, I expected things like Nvidia to continue selling FE models on their own damn store directly, and ensure they went to gamers and not crypto miners... the bare minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back