Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

As for Sony, probably because their programmers are not competent enough and/or didn't have enough time to smooth out the bugs? Assuming they tested 1440p vrr and got even worse issue than the PS5 VRR image retention issue
Joke or not, but saying developers are incompetent is a bit far. Its not like they brought guys of the streets gave them a Sam 21 days book and told them to do their stuff.

What's the easiest and fastest way to get your hit of a new release? Download of course. As long as you are in an urban center with super fabulous Internet access.

I am starting to form the opinion that if you live in a country that you can't get internet access with half decent download speeds, like say 50Mbps you live in a country with shitty infrastructure. And I mean the majority of the populated areas, with permanent settlements.

Joke or not, but saying developers are incompetent is a bit far. Its not like they brought guys of the streets gave them a Sam 21 days book and told them to do their stuff.

More like they are an expert on X but higher ups told them to do Y

Microsoft didn't provide a reasoning. But they've been doing that since Xbox one x|s. And keep doing that in Xbox series x|s.

As for Sony, probably because their programmers are not competent enough and/or didn't have enough time to smooth out the bugs? Assuming they tested 1440p vrr and got even worse issue than the PS5 VRR image retention issue

Isn’t HDMI 2.0 and above required for HDR10? HDMI 2.0 supports 4K at 30 hz. Native resolution is one thing but whats more important is what resolutions are supported by your monitor. So, how many non native 4K displays have hdmi 2.0 ports and support HDR10 but don’t support a 4K signal?

I imagine not many. And I imagine a very small portion of that number would end up serving an Xbox which is probably why MS choose this particular solution.

Unless you are a corner case with some odd or older monitor isn’t Sony or MS providing a form of super sampling to your non-4K monitor?

Last edited:
Isn’t HDMI 2.0 and above required for HDR10? HDMI 2.0 supports 4K at 30 hz. Native resolution is one thing but whats more important is what resolutions are supported by your monitor. So, how many non native 4K displays have hdmi 2.0 ports and support HDR10 but don’t support a 4K signal?

Unless you are a corner case with some odd or older monitor isn’t Sony or MS providing a form of super sampling to your non-4K monitor?

I imagine not many. And I imagine a very small portion of that number would end up serving an Xbox which is probably why MS choose this particular solution.
How about hdr 1080p displays?

Sony can do it just fine. But on Xbox you can't enjoy hdr. Unless your 1080p hdr display supports accepting 4k hdr.

Sony can do it just fine. But on Xbox you can't enjoy hdr. Unless your 1080p hdr display supports accepting 4k hdr.
Yes the Xbox can support HDR on a 1080p display if it supports a 4K signal. And yes there are 1440p displays that the PS5 can support at 1440p because those displays accept a 4K signal.

There are a number of 1080p and 1440p on ratings that the Xbox and PS5 supports and it comes down to the scaler on the monitor and not just it’s native resolution.

Both MS and Sony decided they didn’t want to cover every corner case especially given the HDR performance across these cases are pretty spotty. 1080p monitors are attractive because of their refresh rates which is the consoles can’t take advantage of.

Both MS and Sony decided they didn’t want to cover every corner case especially given the HDR performance across these cases are pretty spotty. 1080p monitors are attractive because of their refresh rates which is the consoles can’t take advantage of.

My point is that Playstation works fine with 1080p hdr tho.

i am genuinely confused lol. lets move along

anyway, back to topic, anyone know has sony tightened their QC so less risk of getting a PS5 with loud fan, coil whine, and other "minor" issues?
when they released a PSVR2+PS5 bundle i will gladly chomp on it day 1, but it will be nice to know if they have tightened their QC.

from cursory search on the internet, there seems to be less and less people complaining about those issues.

I believe LFC is possible but need to be patched by the developer. For instance All Insomniac 120hz games support LFC.

Yeah a system level LFC would be better. Also nice if Sony adds system level 40 fps mode. Although I suppose it'll be quite hard to do on system level

As far as I remember PS4 used DisplayPort to HDMI bridge, so they could force HDR later through an update even though it's HDMI 1.4 on the outside. In that light the weird 32 Gbit/S data cap on PS5's HDMI 2.1 port starts to make sense, as it's probably again a DP to HDMI bridge (DP 1.4 being 32 Gbit/S), maybe that's why it's easier for them to support HDR in all resolutions unlike Xbox? Wonder why Sony does this DP to HDMI shenanigans, is it another Sony thing 😅? Or is it because they pushed PS5 earlier than XSX, so the 2.1 spec wasn't ready?

anyway, back to topic, anyone know has sony tightened their QC so less risk of getting a PS5 with loud fan, coil whine, and other "minor" issues?
when they released a PSVR2+PS5 bundle i will gladly chomp on it day 1, but it will be nice to know if they have tightened their QC.

from cursory search on the internet, there seems to be less and less people complaining about those issues.
Let's wait and see what the CFI-12XX revision brings to the table, it should arrive in the next few months. In the meantime, I got used to my model's coil whine, but if the new rev is really revolutionary in terms of silence I might buy it and sell my old unit, and even if I get the crappy fan I can just transplant my NMB fan and achieve the ultimate silent PS5 (evil laugh).

50euro (around 50usd?) official price hike for the PS5. Sony recently got sued for ripping off people on PSN, now these people get smacked on the back of the head for that :p
Many predict that sales will stagnate alot this winter, with economics/fuel/electricity/food prices etc (economical recession) doesnt help the already dire situation. Increasing the price only makes things not for the better to say the least.

Last edited:
This makes me concerned with PS5 slim. This may implies PS5 slim is nowhere near release. As otherwise Sony would just release PS5 slim to replace the current PS5 while keeping the price the same.

Back