The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Yep, Orville absolutely hit it out of the park again 🤩

What do we think about Rings of Power?

I remain cautiously optimistic.
They mostly seem to have kept to a style fitting with the movies, I'm super pumped for getting to see the 2nd age Elvish, Numenorean & Dwarvish peaks plus bits of Valinor.
But there is other stuff that is concerning in a Master Cheeks kind of way.

I really liked Ms Marvel.
I would urge people to at least give it a couple episodes even if they think it's not for them.
Probably in my top 3 of MCU tv shows.
Even though though right now I'm not sure what I would rate higher than it.

I really liked Ms Marvel.
I would urge people to at least give it a couple episodes even if they think it's not for them.
Probably in my top 3 of MCU tv shows.
Even though though right now I'm not sure what I would rate higher than it.

IMO Its mediocre, still way better than the marvel male / female archers roaming on Christmas that I can't remember the title.

I watched Chapelwaite these last seven days and liked it.
It was a bit drawn out, though I typically find series with more than six episodes to be guilty of that.

Just finished terminal list on Amazon prime, definitely worth watching.... first episode doesn't totally grab, but after you get the plot it becomes very interesting. In some episodes it gets very visceral.

Just finished terminal list on Amazon prime, definitely worth watching.... first episode doesn't totally grab, but after you get the plot it becomes very interesting. In some episodes it gets very visceral.
yeah i liked it a lot, very realistic action sequences imho

Terminal List was a lot better than I anticipated. I actually thought Chris Pratt portrayed his role rather well, showed some good range and sold me on his character. Good supporting cast as well. Worth a watch!

Terminal is really good indeed. It's audio also beautifully crafted. Even the MRI machine was making sound (albeit much quieter than reality)

You obviously enjoyed it more than John Lydon did! He's not exactly been complimentary about it in the press...
I'm not a Pistols or punk fan in general so I have no clue how accurate the series is. I knew he complained about it but I didn't know exactly why so I looked up some articles, seems he's mostly whining about how it's against what the Pistols were all about because its not anti establishment yadayada and something about the acting being like karaoke.

Can't really agree with him. I think it was well written, well acted and well filmed. Definitely doesn't feel like a quick and easy cash grab. If anything I think anyone that watches this will only have a more positive opinion about (most) characters/Pistols/Punk after watching.

Given all the great things said here about the Orville, I gave it a go..it didn't bite me at all, seemed somewhat irreverant to the whole ST ethos to me, even the minor thing of wanting and receiving permission to bring drinks onto the bridge etc. The slapstick initial scene of the captain stumbing upon his wife with the "alien" bursting blue fluid at an inappropriate moment...funny...but it's Friends funny, and is it really ST material ? The guy that plays the captain (sorry his name just won't come to me), didn't have any gravitas for me. Perhaps it's just aimed at a different/ new audience or the 1st episode isn't enough to judge it on, but it didn't make me want to watch EP2, and so far I haven't.

But then again I enjoyed Picard...and I seem to be very much in a minority....so there's that !

Whereas strange new worlds did get me interested enough to watch the whole series. Liked the introduction of previously known chars, some a lot more prominent providing continuity with the past...frankly to me it almost felt like a reboot/reimagination of the original series, done well. I hope there is another series of this.

@tangey we are on Season 3 of The Orville. That's where it's really hitting its stride. The first few seasons their budget and writing were more slapstick. The third season is where the writing has found its place and where the budget was increased drastically.

Given all the great things said here about the Orville, I gave it a go..it didn't bite me at all, seemed somewhat irreverant to the whole ST ethos to me, even the minor thing of wanting and receiving permission to bring drinks onto the bridge etc. The slapstick initial scene of the captain stumbing upon his wife with the "alien" bursting blue fluid at an inappropriate moment...funny...but it's Friends funny, and is it really ST material ? The guy that plays the captain (sorry his name just won't come to me), didn't have any gravitas for me. Perhaps it's just aimed at a different/ new audience or the 1st episode isn't enough to judge it on, but it didn't make me want to watch EP2, and so far I haven't.

But then again I enjoyed Picard...and I seem to be very much in a minority....so there's that !

Whereas strange new worlds did get me interested enough to watch the whole series. Liked the introduction of previously known chars, some a lot more prominent providing continuity with the past...frankly to me it almost felt like a reboot/reimagination of the original series, done well. I hope there is another series of this.

I've not started watching season 3 of the orville yet, but I can assure you that season 2 is much closer in tone to TNG than season 1 was. They very much tone down the comedy and up the drama in season 2, more so as it draws on I think.

From what I gather season 3 goes further again.

Also I didn't hate that second half of Discovery S3 strangely. It still had major issues but I at least found it entertaining and didn't feel the need to throw a brick through my TV. Felt liked they turned a bit of a corner when they got rid of the terrible trans character (no issue with them being trans, just the character was abysmal).

@BRiT @pjbliverpool thanks for those comments on the later episodes of the Orville, give me enough hope to slot it back into my viewing. Unless something crucial is missed in doing so, I might just start on Season 2.

Back