Electric Vehicle Thread!

Good News..........................
North Carolina Republicans want to destroy EV charging stations — unless they come with free gas, too
Introduced in the North Carolina state legislature this spring, the innocuously named “Equitable Free Vehicle Fueling Stations” bill, if passed, would allot tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars for the destruction of existing public EV charging stations if local authorities don’t build free gas and diesel pumps alongside them. As for free charging stations on private property, don’t worry, the bill has a plan for those too:

Any person who is engaged in a business where electric vehicle charging stations are provided for use by the public at no charge shall ensure that each customer of the business, without regard to whether the customer uses the charging stations, is informed of, on the receipt for purchases, the percentage of the amount of the customer’s total purchase price that is a result of the business providing electric vehicle charging stations at no charge.

I don't understand what the last paragraph means
The politicians want the businesses to have to show consumers how the company uses the revenue.

They think forcing a company to say something like "1% of your purchase of a Grand Coffee goes to supplying electric vehicle charging station" will get the consumers up in arms to demand to make their purchase 1% cheaper and not provide the perk. Those numbers are made up for this example.

The Politicians really are fucktards.

They are clearly overstepping their bounds. Why don't they force companies to break down all revenue use on receipts like "25% of your purchase goes to employee salaries, 25% goes to property rental, 10% goes to free use bathrooms, 25% goes to inventory acquisition, 15% goes to local taxes". That way consumers can be outraged that the company dares to offer free use bathrooms and demands their purchase doesn't go to offer that perk. Or maybe they demand the company stops paying local city and state taxes. Or maybe push them to stop paying employees!

But if they charge for EV charging it's ok? So if they charge $0.10 per car using an honesty box mounted on the charger ...

It’s becoming part of the culture war.

Republicans see EVs as liberals wanting to do something about climate change, which the GOP doesn’t believe in. Actually climate change denialism is growing over time. There was a recent poll showing that Republicans deny extreme weather events like greater frequency of category 5 hurricanes, droughts, flooding, wild fires, etc are caused by climate change.

There‘s a big gap in believing these events are tied to climate change depending on location. For instance, tHe gap is smaller in the West which has been besieged by wild fires and droughts for years. But the gap is huge in the Northeast which hasn’t been subject to as many extreme weather events.

So they’re going to go after EVs, just as they went after CFL bulbs over incandescent bulbs or things like coal rolling. Trump claimed that windmills cause cancer or kill too many birds, and probably a lot of conservatives believe these kinds of claims.

It won't go anywhere. The businesses offering "free" charging will fix the problem by having the customer come inside, drop a penny in a tip jar, and giving them the customer code or something. There, they "paid" for it so it isn't free. And the funnier thing could be, the code might just be a four digit pin that never changes because *ahem* maybe they forgot.

Tomorrow set to be the hottest day ever recorded in the UK, possibly by some distance. We've got pretty good records going back over 150 years. 33 degrees C at 6pm where I live at present. I don't remember it being over 30 degrees here in my lifetime which spans about 45 years in this town!

will get the consumers up in arms to demand to make their purchase 1% cheaper and not provide the perk.
Unfortunately this attitude of "I dont want people to get X because i never got X" to be quite prevalent on the right . I remember one fox host (laura ingram I think) use the exact same argument against someones plan to offer free tuition
she described it as "A slap in the face for all those who had to pay for college"

Mercedes with a $60k SUV EV which may not even get 250 miles EPA.

To be fair, all EQB models are AWD with twin motors so a lot of power. Due out in the summer.

Blazer EV will start arriving in 2023, in 4 trims, price range from about $45k to $66k for a high performance model. It's using the Ultium platform and 3 of the trims should be close to 300 miles range, with one targeting 320 miles.

Available as RWD, FWD or AWD.

They're apparently just using the name, suppose to be nothing like the ICE Blazers. Lets hope the interiors are much better than the old Blazers.

Welp, clicked the order button. It's the regular LR model, in blue (obviously), with the white interior, trailer hitch, and the Enhanced Auto Pilot features. Also bought the mobile charger cord as we'll be travelling to see family a lot. Current ETA is the beginning of 2023, however one of my staff ordered basically this same setup earlier this year and his was delivered four months ahead of schedule.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220722-194348_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220722-194348_Tesla.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 13
Welp, clicked the order button. It's the regular LR model, in blue (obviously), with the white interior, trailer hitch, and the Enhanced Auto Pilot features. Also bought the mobile charger cord as we'll be travelling to see family a lot. Current ETA is the beginning of 2023, however one of my staff ordered basically this same setup earlier this year and his was delivered four months ahead of schedule.

I wonder will it be with amd apu and the new battery or old ones or something else

People on reddit says the amd apu brings much more responsive UX. Melon says that they'll bring steam in

Haha, honestly it's going to be the wife's car and she couldn't possibly care less. So long as hers works as well as we presume, then I'll probably be in the market for an S in a year or two.

Haha, honestly it's going to be the wife's car and she couldn't possibly care less. So long as hers works as well as we presume, then I'll probably be in the market for an S in a year or two.

People on reddit says taycan give better overall experience than S. Despite having similar prices (not sure what their prices are tho)

I only ever drive them on Gran turismo 7, and taycan does feels better (more comfortable with bumps on the road, sticks to the road)

Anyway, finger crossed you'll get a problem free tesla. Not sure you want to do full check up before accepting delivery or not when the car is ready. The community made check list is quite long. This one is for model y, but probably the same for other tesla's too https://github.com/polymorphic/tesla-model-y-checklist

Nice checklist!

The Audi is inarguably gorgeous. However S is more my style; fast, comfy, great cargo room, great back seat and a lot of range. Also, man it's super hard to beat the Tesla charging network. If only Elon Musk didn't own Tesla this would be a far easier conversation -- at least for my own feelings on the matter. Jeez that guy is a disaster.

Nice checklist!

The Audi is inarguably gorgeous. However S is more my style; fast, comfy, great cargo room, great back seat and a lot of range. Also, man it's super hard to beat the Tesla charging network. If only Elon Musk didn't own Tesla this would be a far easier conversation -- at least for my own feelings on the matter. Jeez that guy is a disaster.

Yeah I wonder why non-tesla charging stations are still dragging their feet.

Are they not profitable enough for better expansion and quality?

Are they already ridiculously profitable, so they sits on their asses?

I wonder, when tesla opened superchargers to all cars, will supercharger simply dominate the charging station market.

Not really a review, just impressions from an afternoon with the Audi Q4 it appears.

Sounds like they improved the acceleration over the ID.4? Says 0-60 at 5.8 but the ID.4 is more closer to 8 seconds.

Only 240 miles of range but I would think the Quattro versions are less, the Crossback is probably less as well because it's heavier IIRC.

Article doesn't compare to the ID.4 which should be similar but the Audi costs thousands more. If they said the interiors were better, it might make the higher price understandable, though maybe if it is that much faster, people will pay for the marque and speed.

Lot about the AR display, sounds like in concert with some autonomous driving features, it could be a useful combo but you have to go to at least the middle trim and add it as a $2200 option.

I know VW and Audi can't build them fast enough but they're going to have to up their game for the next revision to these MEB CUVs. Already the perception is that the Mach E is better and other manufacturers are targeting the CUV market.

They can start with at least 20% more range per charge and a faster charging system.

Back