God of War: Ragnarok [PS4, PS5]

No disc game but thankfully there is a steelbook. How absurd.

Anyways I'll never buy a special edition that doesnt have a disc inside.

I just don't get why they don't make special statues or something to launch along side the digital. Just take pre orders for people who want them so they have a good idea of how much to produce.

Sony has been making some weird decisions lately.
Doing this with one of their most important franchises isnt helping with their goodwill

Sony has been making some weird decisions lately.
Doing this with one of their most important franchises isnt helping with their goodwill

I think the problem with these things is how cheap they actually are. I didn't catch the price of this but because they have to put all this together with the game and still make a profit you get really cheap items in there.

That's why I suggest they just make a cool statue or a cool item and if say the collectors edition was $200 why not just design the singular item for $100 and take a $100 profit. Instead of all these cheap look things with one decent show piece.

I mean look at this beautiful statue that is $135
1657175909111.png

Like I said I rather they do a limited edition thing like this or a few different options to mark the launch of the new game. Make it limited for the launch and make it high quality.

I think the problem with these things is how cheap they actually are. I didn't catch the price of this but because they have to put all this together with the game and still make a profit you get really cheap items in there.

That's why I suggest they just make a cool statue or a cool item and if say the collectors edition was $200 why not just design the singular item for $100 and take a $100 profit. Instead of all these cheap look things with one decent show piece.

I mean look at this beautiful statue that is $135
View attachment 6671

Like I said I rather they do a limited edition thing like this or a few different options to mark the launch of the new game. Make it limited for the launch and make it high quality.
I dont know. In a lot of cases the quality of the things included in those collector's editions are underwhelming. Sometimes they are great indeed though.
I remember when I bought Lords of Shadow 2's collectors and the quality and content was a total failure. Also the plastic hand in MGSV.
But come on, including the disk isnt THAT expensive. You always expect the disk of the game to be included in a collector's edition. Otherwise it defeats the purpose.
How much is the Collector's Edition of Ragnarok sold?

I dont know. In a lot of cases the quality of the things included in those collector's editions are underwhelming. Sometimes they are great indeed though.
I remember when I bought Lords of Shadow 2's collectors and the quality and content was a total failure. Also the plastic hand in MGSV.
But come on, including the disk isnt THAT expensive. You always expect the disk of the game to be included in a collector's edition. Otherwise it defeats the purpose.
How much is the Collector's Edition of Ragnarok sold?

I think the issue is that when a company builds out these collectors editions they have to budget the full retail price of the game into it. Think about it. What is the point of making these expensive collectors editions if they aren't profiting at higher rates than just selling the game. So not only do you have to budget the profit the game would have made if you just sold a $60 disk or code version but you have to factor in the costs of all the trinkets added into the collectors edition. I expect that these companies expect to make at least the same % profit as the disc game at the very least.

Not only that but it seems there are two editions. One adds on pins , a ring , a cloth map , a vinyl record . I'd imagine this more expensive edition would have less produced. So some of these things like the ring , pins and vinyl could cost more per unit.

Look at Callisto Protocol. $250 exclusive to game stop

Here you get a steal book , pins , comic and in game skins with a season pass. Then you get the statue. I mean in a way this makes less sense than the God of war thing. God of war at least has what like a 20 year history ? This game is brand new.

1657179286056.png

LIke I said , to me it makes sense to make some limited collectors launch editions statues or something. But maybe there is some mental thing that makes people buy the collectors editions with empty steel boxes cause they were conditioned to do it for decades ?

I think the issue is that when a company builds out these collectors editions they have to budget the full retail price of the game into it. Think about it. What is the point of making these expensive collectors editions if they aren't profiting at higher rates than just selling the game. So not only do you have to budget the profit the game would have made if you just sold a $60 disk or code version but you have to factor in the costs of all the trinkets added into the collectors edition. I expect that these companies expect to make at least the same % profit as the disc game at the very least.

Not only that but it seems there are two editions. One adds on pins , a ring , a cloth map , a vinyl record . I'd imagine this more expensive edition would have less produced. So some of these things like the ring , pins and vinyl could cost more per unit.

Look at Callisto Protocol. $250 exclusive to game stop

Here you get a steal book , pins , comic and in game skins with a season pass. Then you get the statue. I mean in a way this makes less sense than the God of war thing. God of war at least has what like a 20 year history ? This game is brand new.

View attachment 6672

LIke I said , to me it makes sense to make some limited collectors launch editions statues or something. But maybe there is some mental thing that makes people buy the collectors editions with empty steel boxes cause they were conditioned to do it for decades ?
But the real cost of adding a disk isnt much for the company and they are including the game anyways, just in digital form and that costs the same as the retail game for the consumer.
The collectors editions I bought so far (unless I am mistaken because I keep them sealed), had the disk in them.
Callisto's collectors edition looks amazing btw. And it includes the disk too right?

Maybe they don't want to have as large of a Day One patch so going to "go gold" as late as possible and not included in collector's edition gives them more time? I'm assuming the real issue with including a disc is the additional timing it takes for special packaging and not in the cost of it.

Maybe they don't want to have as large of a Day One patch so going to "go gold" as late as possible and not included in collector's edition gives them more time? I'm assuming the real issue with including a disc is the additional timing it takes for special packaging and not in the cost of it.
Its the only thing that makes sense

They do infact sell out? I was in line for Plagues Tale Requiem Collectors edition which is fairly beastly, comes with vinyl disc sound tracks and wicked statue. But I ended up refunding my pre-order because I wouldn't know what my kids would do with all this collectors stuff once I hit the dirt. I felt bad. I just went back to check again, and now I don't have a chance anymore.

In any event, if you're looking and thinking about it, they do sell out, so if you're interested in this one, it's likely to go fast.

Well I think the reason is because the PS5 digital model exists and they were too lazy to make 4 different collector editions instead of 2. :yep2:

But even then this looks really cheap. Hammer should have been in some kind of metal at least.

Solid point on the PS5 Digital console leading to 4 different editions.

I would like to see the "Collector" Editions be split out separately. Here's your goodies. Here's your game. Two separate orders.

If thats what they thought, its a wrong assumption. Those that bought the digital console, are a minority and consumers that care solely about having digital. So they already accepted to be out of the game collectors culture. The Collectors editions are almost always sold out, so Sony cant be worrying that people who own digital only consoles wont buy it.
Also if someone is a collector digital only or not digital console will buy the thing, with the former not minding if there is a disk, and the latter will surely want the disk.
The decision to keep only a digital code has more people unsatisfied than if they kept the disk in.

But the real cost of adding a disk isnt much for the company and they are including the game anyways, just in digital form and that costs the same as the retail game for the consumer.
The collectors editions I bought so far (unless I am mistaken because I keep them sealed), had the disk in them.
Callisto's collectors edition looks amazing btw. And it includes the disk too right?
The real cost of adding the disc/code is the cost of the game. If a person was going to buy GOW:R for $60 and 30 of that was profit then they are going to want to make that $30 plus more on a collectors edition. So when you break down the cost to Sony for this game would be presented a cost break down of how much this thing costs them and what the final profit would be. If it isn't at least as good as just selling the game then there isn't a point to it.

It used to be that you'd have the game at $60 or the game in a steel book with some skins for $70. The additional costs were most likely $1 or so . So Sony would make an additional $9 for little work and little additional costs laid out.

I am sure that Sony doesn't want to spend say $150 on a $200 collectors edition and take the chance that they will sit on shelves or only make a $50 profit. If they were already making a $30 profit on the regular retail copy and I am sure it be closer to $40 if you just bought it digitally on the PlayStation store

If thats what they thought, its a wrong assumption. Those that bought the digital console, are a minority and consumers that care solely about having digital. So they already accepted to be out of the game collectors culture. The Collectors editions are almost always sold out, so Sony cant be worrying that people who own digital only consoles wont buy it.
Also if someone is a collector digital only or not digital console will buy the thing, with the former not minding if there is a disk, and the latter will surely want the disk.
The decision to keep only a digital code has more people unsatisfied than if they kept the disk in.
I don't believe there is a disc copy of the game included in this. It's just an empty steel book.

The real cost of adding the disc/code is the cost of the game. If a person was going to buy GOW:R for $60 and 30 of that was profit then they are going to want to make that $30 plus more on a collectors edition. So when you break down the cost to Sony for this game would be presented a cost break down of how much this thing costs them and what the final profit would be. If it isn't at least as good as just selling the game then there isn't a point to it.

It used to be that you'd have the game at $60 or the game in a steel book with some skins for $70. The additional costs were most likely $1 or so . So Sony would make an additional $9 for little work and little additional costs laid out.

I am sure that Sony doesn't want to spend say $150 on a $200 collectors edition and take the chance that they will sit on shelves or only make a $50 profit. If they were already making a $30 profit on the regular retail copy and I am sure it be closer to $40 if you just bought it digitally on the PlayStation store
Bro the costs and revenues are calculated differently on a Collectors edition. The revenue for publisher, retail, developer and what not have different margins from a collectors edition. You cant take the sale of a common edition game as an example to extrapolate for the collectors, how much it will cost. Disk or digital code in the collectors barely makes a difference because the marketing, distribution, revenue for dev, for retailer, for developer, costs of materials/revenue of special item manufacturer/packaging are calculated in the price of any collectors edition. The only real additional cost are assosciated costs for printing and putting a disk in instead of digital code which isnt a $50 cost at all. It would have made a big difference if this was a collectors with or without a game

Bro the costs and revenues are calculated differently on a Collectors edition. The revenue for publisher, retail, developer and what not have different margins from a collectors edition. You cant take the sale of a common edition game as an example to extrapolate for the collectors, how much it will cost. Disk or digital code in the collectors barely makes a difference because the marketing, distribution, revenue for dev, for retailer, for developer, costs of materials/revenue of special item manufacturer/packaging are calculated in the price of any collectors edition. The only real additional cost are assosciated costs for printing and putting a disk in instead of digital code which isnt a $50 cost at all. It would have made a big difference if this was a collectors with or without a game

Of course the disk or digital code makes a difference. The company will be looking to make a similar profit. Not sure where you get the idea that the main product that costs millions of dollars is just thrown into a collectors edition.

Of course the disk or digital code makes a difference. The company will be looking to make a similar profit. Not sure where you get the idea that the main product that costs millions of dollars is just thrown into a collectors edition.
Dude they can still make the same profit by barely having to increase the retail price if they include a disc. All the same costs assosciated with selling a disc at a shop are also in the collectors sold at a shop with a digital code minus the cost of a disc which is insignificant. This isnt the sane as selling a tangible good at a shop vs a digital good sold in a digital store. Both are tangible goods sold at retail

Probably they learnt their "mistake" with gran turismo 7. Where special edition buyers floods the market with digital download code for PS4 version of gt7.

Back