AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

That's the reference design, which adds very modest improvements over the regular 6900XT, most reviewed are made with the Sapphire Nitro+ or with the MSI Trio, and those have their power figures so close to the 3090Ti.

power-gaming.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-radeon-rx-6950-xt-gaming-x-trio/36.html

Keep in mind that the MSI card is far more power hungry than the most reviewed card the Sapphire Nitro+ which at Techpowerup was significantly less power hungry than the MSI card although still a massive increase over the 6900 XT at 381 watts.

Just like the Ti cards on the NV side, the 6x50 cards for AMD generally aren't worth the cost increase or the massive increase in power usage, IMO.

Regards,
SB

Yeah ok, that's pretty wild.

I can imagine in the near future that graphic cards need to have their own energy rating system in the EU, like we have for TVs, refrigerators, washing machines, etc.

Maybe someday we can combine a high end PC with a water heating unit or something :p
Enjoy your hot coffee while gaming at the same time!

AMD at Computex confirmed that Raphael aka Ryzen 7000 / Zen 4 will include RDNA2 graphics, as leaks suggested. CCD's are made on "customized 5nm" and IOD, which houses the iGPU too, on "6nm".
Also Mendocino, which on surface looks like "6nm" shrink of Van Gogh (Zen2/RDNA2) coming Q4 for cheaper laptops/chromebooks.

Last edited:
So, both the 6750 and 6950 are available for MSRP from the AMD direct buy site.

Unfortunately the 6700 XT isn't available on their site anymore. Considering the 6750 has much worse perf/watt than the 6700 XT, I'm pretty sad. I might have pulled the trigger on a 6700 XT at MSRP (449 USD), but there's no way in heck that I'd get the 6750 for MSRP (549 USD).

Regards,
SB

OK, so checking Amazon pricing on the 6700 XT (I'm watching both this and the 3070) and it's getting really really close to being available for MSRP. I see one being offered for 483.99 USD and another for 499.99 USD. The 483.99 USD one was over 700 USD back in the middle of May.

Getting closer to a price that would tempt me into buying one.

Regards,
SB

Similar to what I'm doing with the 3070, keeping track of used prices on 6700 XTs. Looks like they are starting to sell for under 400 USD with some even being sold for less than 300 USD. Going to be pretty tempting as they get closer to 200 USD used.

New cards are starting to appear for below MSRP (479 USD) on Ebay now.

Might be some really good deals in another week or two.

Regards,
SB

It's being reported that the company has made a technical breakthrough that could significantly improve OpenGL application performance, bringing Radeon GPUs on par with GeForce in GL applications.

A quick Unigine Valley benchmark run with the OpenGL renderer reveals an incredible 49.5% increase in frame-rates, bringing the RX 6800 XT sample to performance-levels you'd expect from the RTX 3080. An identical 49.5% frame-rate increase was seen in Unigine Superposition.

Does anyone know if the RX 6400 can output 4K @ 120Hz? It has an HDMI 2.1 port but I couldn't find any info on supported resolutions and refresh rates. Looking for a HDMI 2.1 card to replace the 1650 super in my living room streaming box.

It's official specs from AMD lists HDMI 2.1 FRL which means it should support 4k120/8k60.

HDMI™ 2.1 VRR and FRL

MSI lists there's with support specifically for 4k120/8k60 -

DisplayPort x 1 (v1.4a) / HDMI x 1 (Supports 4K@120Hz/8K@60Hz and VRR as specified in HDMI 2.1)

Finding a TV that accepts 12-bit 4:4:4 is extremely difficult, too. 10-bit is preferred because it is 4:4:4 (full RGB). That's how I run my LG CX 48" from my 6900XT, at 120hz.

Last edited:
Creativity (or lack thereof) at it's best.
Huh? Should others instead refuse to add features because some beat them to it?

Huh? Should others instead refuse to add features because some beat them to it?
Of course not, but it helps to has some innovation coming from your corner.

Oscar Wilde couldn't have said it better "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness." ;)

Of course not, but it helps to has some innovation coming from your corner.

Oscar Wilde couldn't have said it better "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness." ;)
Every player in the video card business has been at times first bringing some features. Choosing to ignore them doesn't make them go away.

Back