Formula 1 - 2022 Season

Considering how bad the Mercs have been this year that was another strong result for them, helps that both Red Bull and Ferrari keep messing up too of course, I doubt the top brass at Red Bull are too upset about Perez, they don't really want him to fight Max for the Championship after all.

Considering how bad the Mercs have been this year that was another strong result for them, helps that both Red Bull and Ferrari keep messing up too of course, I doubt the top brass at Red Bull are too upset about Perez, they don't really want him to fight Max for the Championship after all.
They might if they wind up not winning constructors.

i think perez' new contract made him number 2 in writing, he will always defer to max from now on

They might if they wind up not winning constructors.
Red Bull may view the drivers’ championship as more marketable than the constructors’. It’s not as if they’re hurting for money.

All thus talk of Perez being contracted as a number two driver seems unnecessary. If Max is as good as RB (and I, despite my distaste for his racing “style”) thinks he is, why would they need to formalize a second driver status? Max will just outclass him over the course of a year. And Ferrari is gonna Ferrari. Remember how they let Kimi win a race in the one year they posed a legit title challenge to Merc? Meanwhile, Merc is able to get Bottas to gift Hamilton a win when he doesn’t need it (again, because Ferrari).

Also can we talk about why KMag keeps driving into Hamilton? Haas has to be real and consolidate points, not get their elbows out with the top three. Silly.

Red Bull may view the drivers’ championship as more marketable than the constructors’. It’s not as if they’re hurting for money.
Having Perez finish in the points isn't going to reduce their chances of winning the drivers title. It should only enhance it as it takes points away from challengers. If Perez had finished in Montreal he likely takes points away from LeClerc.

Russell: Mercedes ‘falling into traps’ with F1 car set-up (autosport.com)

"And we're facing different issues every single race weekend. So I'd like to think we'll be more competitive, but I really don't know."

Asked to expand on his "different issues" comment he said: "Just with the overall car, we sort of solve one issue and we fall into another trap.

"Porpoising has been solved. But then when you run the car close to the ground, we're hitting the ground quite aggressively.

"There doesn't seem to be any sweet spot at the moment."

damn

Just watched the Bonhams auction and Ocons 2017 Force India sold for £70,000
1656786804838.png

The 2009 Force India went for £40,000 (sans engine)
1656790495670.png

Attachments

• 1656790406464.png
    1656790406464.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Tell me someone else noticed a difference in how Lewis raced Charles and how Max raced Mick.

Checo has been the best driver move Red Bull has made since Max. He races similarly to him: elbows out (being charitable). His success (vs. Gasly’s and Albon’s disappointments) may well be down to a more balanced car, but he’s maximizing it.

I’m not sure there was a single Ferrari pit wall message that didn’t annoy me. I can’t imagine having to deal with that waffling nonsense while driving, let alone racing. Imagine asking Carlos to back up Lewis as if a hobbled Charles on used hards could stay ahead of a fully functional Ferrari, Merc, and Red Bull—all on new softs—for ten laps, seven of those with DRS. And that after the inane will they, won’t they chatter at the beginning of the race when the obvious answer is to let Charles by for a few laps to see if he makes a gap and swap back if he doesn’t. It feels like there’s way more uncertainty emanating from Ferrari’s pit wall than other teams.

There must be some interesting info to be gained as to how Charles’ and Max’s damage affected their race pace. Surprised Charles could keep with with Carlos despite the end plate, but maybe the inside end plate (on a clockwise circuit) is less important.

Crofty’s always had an annoying excited voice during the race, but at this point in the season it feels like he’s phoning in his race commentary. He’s not on top of what’s happening. If I watched these races live I’d try harder to find alternate commentators.

Yuki….

Tell me someone else noticed a difference in how Lewis raced Charles and how Max raced Mick.

Checo has been the best driver move Red Bull has made since Max. He races similarly to him: elbows out (being charitable). His success (vs. Gasly’s and Albon’s disappointments) may well be down to a more balanced car, but he’s maximizing it.

I’m not sure there was a single Ferrari pit wall message that didn’t annoy me. I can’t imagine having to deal with that waffling nonsense while driving, let alone racing. Imagine asking Carlos to back up Lewis as if a hobbled Charles on used hards could stay ahead of a fully functional Ferrari, Merc, and Red Bull—all on new softs—for ten laps, seven of those with DRS. And that after the inane will they, won’t they chatter at the beginning of the race when the obvious answer is to let Charles by for a few laps to see if he makes a gap and swap back if he doesn’t. It feels like there’s way more uncertainty emanating from Ferrari’s pit wall than other teams.

There must be some interesting info to be gained as to how Charles’ and Max’s damage affected their race pace. Surprised Charles could keep with with Carlos despite the end plate, but maybe the inside end plate (on a clockwise circuit) is less important.

Crofty’s always had an annoying excited voice during the race, but at this point in the season it feels like he’s phoning in his race commentary. He’s not on top of what’s happening. If I watched these races live I’d try harder to find alternate commentators.

Yuki….
Yes the most impressive driver was Leclerc for me. With a damaged car at some point he was the fastest driver of the lot (and faster than Saintz). And the way he fought against red bull and Mercedes equipped with new soft against his old hard tyres was something.

Yes the most impressive driver was Leclerc for me. With a damaged car at some point he was the fastest driver of the lot (and faster than Saintz). And the way he fought against red bull and Mercedes equipped with new soft against his old hard tyres was something.
Without knowing how points of downforce translate into laptimes, it was impressive that Charles was fine missing 5pts right front downforce and Max could battle Mick (both on new softs) missing 20pts of rear downforce.

Race stewarding is still impenetrable. I don’t understand how Checo was allowed to cut a corner without being penalized. Pushing someone alongside you off the track seems to be okay again (see Carlos on Max on the first restart), even though it wasn’t at the end of last year, but I thought track limits were super strict this year. Imagine if out of bounds was flexibly applied in other sports.

Mattia’s interview after the race confirmed my suspicion that Ferrari aimed to maximize team points rather than LeClerc’s fight. This makes sense because Carlos‘ hards were older than Charles’. It’s still weird because Ferrari have a history of favoring one driver over another, and Charles seemed to be faster than Carlos on track. You’d think either of them would have won the ~10 lap sprint on new softs, and it didn’t really matter whether the second driver finished fourth or sixth.

Back