Forza Horizon 5 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Whoa... @Dictator did you know that FH5 on PC is getting TAA?? I remember you guys pretty much begging for Playground to implement TAA into the engine. Seems like it finally happened!

(I don't know why that video is only 1080p lol but you can clearly see that it will fix all that nasty shimmering on the foliage. This game should look sublime now at higher resolutions!)

Wonder if this opens up the possibility of DLSS in the future?! 😊

one step closer to support FSR 2 and DSLSS

(I don't know why that video is only 1080p lol but you can clearly see that it will fix all that nasty shimmering on the foliage. This game should look sublime now at higher resolutions
On Thurs stream they said lower resolutions would have the biggest impact and that's what it was implemented for.

So I'm surprised if the XSS doesn't get it also even if the XSX doesn't.

On Thurs stream they said lower resolutions would have the biggest impact and that's what it was implemented for.

So I'm surprised if the XSS doesn't get it also even if the XSX doesn't.
Oh I'm aware of that... I'm referring to the youtube video itself. It's fine to show the game rendering at 1080p, but output the video at 4K so that youtube can put out a decent quality video to better see the differences.

Reactions: Jay
Racing games are beholden to limited licenses so when they expire they are deslisted from the store.
In terms of licensing, this generally impacts when you can sell something. If somebody bought something when the publisher previously had a licence, they can generally continue to use and re-download that content even when the licence has since expired and new sales are prohibited. Microsoft currently have a new licence, hence the new DLC.

That said, I imagine the reason why DLC for old games don't work on new versions of the games is entirely technical. I imagine there that been so many changes to the core engine that the old DLC is totally incompatible.

I couldn't get into Forza Horizon 5, which I think more to do with racer burnout. I couldn't get into Dirt 5 either, but when I saw the trailer for the Hot Wheel DLC it did look very cool.

That said, I imagine the reason why DLC for old games don't work on new versions of the games is entirely technical. I imagine there that been so many changes to the core engine that the old DLC is totally incompatible.

This is also why the whole Unicorn that NFTs represented WRT "buy an NFT game item and use it across multiple games and even multiple generations of games" wasn't even remotely realistic.

Can you imagine getting multiple developers to agree on a format for the item, what stats will be encompassed within an item, support for rigging, attachment to other items (like a character holding it which may or may not have humanoid hands), agreeing to limit future innovations in their games in order to allow for the item to be used in a future game, etc.?

Hell, you probably can't even get 1 developer to agree on a limited item data format to be supported across multiple present and future generations of games. :p How are you going to convince X developer that Y developer's format is the one that should be adopted and then get A/B/C/D/E/etc. developers to also agree?

Considering the revamp that, for example, Turn 10 does with each new generation of Forza Motorsport, just the tires in the game are likely vastly different from one generation to the next as their physics improvements include contact points between the tire and ground, introduction of ambient temperature affecting tires as well as surface (track) temperature affecting tires and then ever increasing complexity of that modeling.

And then lets not even get into whether or not you want say 2005 - 2007 era blocky tires (relative to modern driving games) on a 2022 - 2024 era game.

Regards,
SB

This is also why the whole Unicorn that NFTs represented WRT "buy an NFT game item and use it across multiple games and even multiple generations of games" wasn't even remotely realistic.

Can you imagine getting multiple developers to agree on a format for the item, what stats will be encompassed within an item, support for rigging, attachment to other items (like a character holding it which may or may not have humanoid hands), agreeing to limit future innovations in their games in order to allow for the item to be used in a future game, etc.?

Hell, you probably can't even get 1 developer to agree on a limited item data format to be supported across multiple present and future generations of games. :p How are you going to convince X developer that Y developer's format is the one that should be adopted and then get A/B/C/D/E/etc. developers to also agree?

Considering the revamp that, for example, Turn 10 does with each new generation of Forza Motorsport, just the tires in the game are likely vastly different from one generation to the next as their physics improvements include contact points between the tire and ground, introduction of ambient temperature affecting tires as well as surface (track) temperature affecting tires and then ever increasing complexity of that modeling.

And then lets not even get into whether or not you want say 2005 - 2007 era blocky tires (relative to modern driving games) on a 2022 - 2024 era game.

Regards,
SB
Yeah it was unrealistic.

They could made the nft stuff use the lowest common denominator type of things. So it will be missing new features. Or made a converter app.

But then it still took additional development time and could look messed up.

Unless they only target specific game engines that are very standardized and allows opening loose files by default (e.g. Unreal engine), and okay with additional issues (e.g. LOD0 way too detailed for game X, resulting in abysmal performance and or instabilities)

The NFT thing is totally doable. It's just like raid tokens that you trade in depending on the game.

For instance, I buy a level 1 skin for a Forza car and now I have a level 1 token that I turn in for a level one cutlass in Assassin's Creed instead or a different skin for a car in the next Forza game. It's pretty simple.

The NFT thing is totally doable. It's just like raid tokens that you trade in depending on the game.

For instance, I buy a level 1 skin for a Forza car and now I have a level 1 token that I turn in for a level one cutlass in Assassin's Creed instead or a different skin for a car in the next Forza game. It's pretty simple.

If it's just a token with no object association then you don't even need the token. That's the whole problem with NFTs, outside of a few very specific use cases where it excels, it's basically trying to do something you can already do ... only far less efficiently and depending on the use case that people are attempting to shoehorn NFTs into, far less securely.

Regards,
SB

TAA results in much better IQ to my tastes. Eliminates a lot of the flicker and vegetation now sits much more solidly in the scene. Surprisingly heavy though. I haven't done actual comparisons yet due to having to restart when changing any meaningful settings but it seems to cost as much as 4xMSAA from just eyeballing my framerate.

The latest update seems to allow more steering angle for controller and keyboard users (FH5 physics update - what changed?). Interesting choice (maybe an oversight?), and it’s making me question whether FH plays worse with a wheel or I‘m simply applying exaggerated steering inputs (aka, over-correcting) with a wheel (without the game’s safeguards or input smoothing) to poorer results.

The latest update seems to allow more steering angle for controller and keyboard users (FH5 physics update - what changed?). Interesting choice (maybe an oversight?), and it’s making me question whether FH plays worse with a wheel or I‘m simply applying exaggerated steering inputs (aka, over-correcting) with a wheel (without the game’s safeguards or input smoothing) to poorer results.

FH5 since launch has been an ass to play with steering wheel IME.

like... the worst, from the few other car games I've played.

this makes me curious whether this makes steering wheel feels better now

Back