Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Not an amazing place to show the differences but I could guarantee the camera was 100% matched up so here is PC native v PS5.

Open them in both and tab between and you'll see just how much softer the PS5 image is. There are upscaling artifacts in the reflections (but that is already pointed out in the video I think) but there also looks to be a checkerboarding pattern in the shadows and the hair on PS5 which is pretty obvious when you are playing but kind of hard to tell from this screen (but this was the easiest way of matching the camera up).

PC
9cFCzhZ.png

PS5
zkgz5qo.png

The aliasing on the top of the yellow banner clearly shows the fact that the PS5 is running at a lower resolution. Also, there is a bit of single pixel detail loss overall. On the left side of the door frame there is a thin black shadow that runs the height of the door on PC. It ends 3/4 the way up on PS5. Same with the arch pattern on top of the door. The dark outline on the top of the half circle isn't fully displayed on PS5.

Still looks good, though.

The aliasing on the top of the yellow banner clearly shows the fact that the PS5 is running at a lower resolution. Also, there is a bit of single pixel detail loss overall. On the left side of the door frame there is a thin black shadow that runs the height of the door on PC. It ends 3/4 the way up on PS5. Same with the arch pattern on top of the door. The dark outline on the top of the half circle isn't fully displayed on PS5.

Still looks good, though.

It's hard to say how much of it is due to this, but as Alex has noted, the PC version looks to inherit that broken TAA from Re:Village as well, which is why even in interlaced mode it can actually look 'sharper' than the PS5, but it breaks down in high-contrast edges while moving (small neon signs for example are stable on the PS5 when rotating the camera, but flicker on the PC in interlaced, and even a bit at native). That is likely what NXGamer was seeing with the hair in the PC Interlaced mode and assumed it meant that the PS5 version wasn't running checkerboarding because it didn't exhibit this problem. The PS5 does show some shimmering over native with hair mind you, but hair in PC interlaced mode can have far more prominent breakup in certain conditions (it's inconsistent though).

I would prefer the TAA from the PS5 in the PC version as it fixes this, but also sharpening up a soft TAA is a relatively low-cost 'fix' with a sharpening shader - going the other way and trying to fix shader aliasing is another matter. As such we're basically comparing two different AA solutions which really muddies things.

Last edited:
Not an amazing place to show the differences but I could guarantee the camera was 100% matched up so here is PC native v PS5.

Open them in both and tab between and you'll see just how much softer the PS5 image is. There are upscaling artifacts in the reflections (but that is already pointed out in the video I think) but there also looks to be a checkerboarding pattern in the shadows and the hair on PS5 which is pretty obvious when you are playing but kind of hard to tell from this screen (but this was the easiest way of matching the camera up).

PC
9cFCzhZ.png

PS5
zkgz5qo.png

Looks better on the PC. What would worry more is why the PS5 version of this cross-gen game cant handle a native 4k output.

Looks better on the PC. What would worry more is why the PS5 version of this cross-gen game cant handle a native 4k output.
Why would that 'worry' you? You need a 3060 Ti/3070 to run RE2 at native 4k at a constant 60fps with console settings, and a 3080 to hit 4k/60 with max, even without RT. These are demanding games at native 4k.

The PS4 Pro used a 2800x1620 res with checkerboarding. Just being 'cross gen' doesn't mean the engine is light.

Why would that 'worry' you? You need a 3060 Ti/3070 to run RE2 at native 4k at a constant 60fps with console settings, and a 3080 to hit 4k/60 with max, even without RT. These are demanding games at native 4k.

Well, if requirements are already this high, like a 3060Ti which is above a PS5, then what about true-next games?

Well, if requirements are already this high, like a 3060Ti which is above a PS5, then what about true-next games?

You're talking like we're months away from the debut of the new consoles rather than 18 months in and this is somehow a 'worrying sign' or something. We've seen true next-gen games, we know how they run. A PS5 is very close to a 3060TI in rasterized performance as we've seen in most titles, the 3060TI will be better in some, come close or lose slightly in others, and of course be better in RT - this isn't out of the ordinary at all. I don't see the point of this at all other than platform warring.

A PS5 is very close to a 3060TI in rasterized performance as we've seen in most titles, the 3060TI will be better in some, come close or lose slightly in others, and of course be better in RT - this isn't out of the ordinary at all. I don't see the point of this at all other than platform warring.
PS5 is closer to a RX6600XT, or 2070/Super. The 3060Ti is the faster GPU when compared to the PS5.

Apparently his response is to do...this? I'm not sure of the point.

If you read his posts on neogaf, the guy is extremely bitter and quick with insults whenever his tech "skills" come into discussion. Which is with absolutely every video he ever makes, since all of them without exception are filled with errors, him being tech illiterate. The guy is being called out for at least half a decade because of his videos filled with nonsense and errors. Thank god his channel barelly has any views so his misinformation doesnt spread.

Apparently his response is to do...this? I'm not sure of the point.

Putting aside the weirdness of using a super low contrast image to try and gauge resolution/image quality and using entirely different images in the comparison, I think I know where he's going with this. He's likely going to use the result to justify his performance comparison on the basis that if the image quality is good enough to pass a blind quality test then it's fair to compare it's performance to a natively rendered presentation. It's actually an argument I could support if you're trying to evaluate the end user experience rather than the raw hardware capability, however given that he's repeatedly avoided doing that himself in the past where DLSS is involved, and his chosen set of comparison images IMO are deliberately chosen to make the blind comparison test more difficult/misleading, then I don't support it in this case.

Imagine real life situation like this
x: so doctor it looks like i was sick all the time, i got second opinion and it shows i am very sick and should have been on medication all time
y: What!? Let me see ... hmm you are right you are very, very sick
x: but how this could happen? How did you miss all the symptoms of my illnes
y: right, you see those are hard to notice so i assumed you are healthy. Have you noticed that you are sick?
x: No
y: you see!

If you read his posts on neogaf, the guy is extremely bitter and quick with insults whenever his tech "skills" come into discussion. Which is with absolutely every video he ever makes, since all of them without exception are filled with errors, him being tech illiterate. The guy is being called out for at least half a decade because of his videos filled with nonsense and errors. Thank god his channel barelly has any views so his misinformation doesnt spread.

It does spread around here for some reason though. Its weird because B3D is usually seen as abit more serious. Whenever this NXG makes an appearance here its always leading to a discussion around him and his videos.

It does spread around here for some reason though. Its weird because B3D is usually seen as abit more serious. Whenever this NXG makes an appearance here its always leading to a discussion around him and his videos.

Some just aren't familiar with him and post his videos as they feel they're bringing some information. His videos to tend to generate more discussion, but debunking generally takes a lot more bandwidth - it's a lot more effort to clean up bullshit vs creating it. Being aligned with IGN now also lends his voice some more credibility for people who don't follow this stuff as obsessively, and in general his videos give at least the impression of someone with deep knowledge and he speaks with confidence, so I can understand some people linking to his videos. As long as the corrections don't get personal I think it's pretty germane for this thread, albeit I doubt I'm going to spend the time I did on this going forward - part of it is I just happen to have the same games on each platform this time so it's interesting to me to see the differences and probably would have shown those regardless, but yeah he's generally not worth the effort.

Don't check on NeoGaf that much but checked in for the DF video thread on this, and looks like he's worn out his welcome there too.

Some thoughts,

1. This guy is constantly wrong and making stuff up, why is he still posted so often here?
  2. Rather than admitting his mistake, he made a poll with incomprehensible acronym options comparing screenshots of temporal upscaling techniques which obviously show artifacting over time, not only in stills. This is clearly bad faith and unprofessional
  3. I think it's pretty weird how often neogaf gets brought up here considering most professional/industry posters exited the forum after credible misconduct accusations against the admin. I get that Resetera, where most people went, is an extremely annoying community, but its still weird to highlight neogaf today.
  4. Glad DF finally posted a video on RE, I know there's a lot to cover but nxg often being days earlier than them helps bad takes promulgate. I guess that speed is partly a benefit of him making stuff up and offering very little careful analysis.

Some thoughts,
  1. I think it's pretty weird how often neogaf gets brought up here considering most professional/industry posters exited the forum after credible misconduct accusations against the admin. I get that Resetera, where most people went, is an extremely annoying community, but its still weird to highlight neogaf today.

Not sure if this is reference to my post, but to be clear - yes NeoGaf is a cesspool, that's why I rarely visit it. I just found it amusing that even there where they've seemed generally aggro against Digital Foundry (largely for platform warring reasons) they still seem to be able to recognize NX is not always that reliable, at least from my recollection of the last time I visited where it was basically his 'home base' (and I think that speaks somewhat on you as a person if you find that kind of environment welcoming).

I generally don't see people link to Gaf at all though here, so not sure who is 'highlighting' them.

1. Glad DF finally posted a video on RE, I know there's a lot to cover but nxg often being days earlier than them helps bad takes promulgate. I guess that speed is partly a benefit of him making stuff up and offering very little careful analysis.

Another PC video is still coming from Alex which will in part, highlight the differences in the TAA solutions which explains a lot of the differences.

Back