Resident Evil 2,3, and 7 Current Gen Console upgrade [PS5, XBSX|S]

Dr. Nick

Veteran
I would be surprised if Digital Foundry is not working on a comparison right now. The upgrade is kind of underwhelmed so far.
On my TV I only had an option to turn Ray Tracing on or off. The High Frame Mode was greyed out so to speak. Here is Resident Evil 2 First 30 minutes on Series X. Could just be me but seem like this one needs VRR. I will try to make more of them for each game. Been trying to upload this since yesterday but stupid crap keeps getting in the way. Audio might be slightly off. Still working on syncing audio and framerate analysis.

Last edited:
RE2 runs beautifully for me.. however, has anyone else noticed that the resolution scale slider doesn't work, or is that just me?

I tried it on both my PC and Steam Deck and the res slider didn't seem to do anything... which I think I would know because 200% should be buckling the heck out of my Steam Deck at 1280x720 lol...

Also, Capcom just issued an update that they've brought the DX11 non RT version back as a beta build and said they will keep both going forward. Good on them for that!

Did they fix this yet?

Resident Evil 7's Free Upgrade Isn't Free for PS Plus Collection Owners​

You'll need to buy this one if you want the PS5 upgrade.

The PS Plus Collection is exclusive to the PS5 for PlayStation Plus subscribers, granting them a selection of 20 classic PS4 titles at no extra charge, but in this case it comes with a major downside. Digital copies of Resident Evil 7 obtained from the PS Plus Collection are not eligible for the free PS5 version upgrade, meaning players have to purchase the game separately in order to get the enhanced version.

Resident Evil 7's Free Upgrade Isn't Free for PS Plus Collection Owners​

You'll need to buy this one if you want the PS5 upgrade.

I would hold fireon buying it, unless it's super cheap in a sale. The same thing happened with the PS+ FF VII Remake version with the PS5 upgrade version not being eligible, which changed shortly after.

The publisher will want whatever sales they can get - and Sony clearly did not want to pay for this up front.

I would be surprised if Digital Foundry is not working on a comparison right now. The upgrade is kind of underwhelmed so far.
On my TV I only had an option to turn Ray Tracing on or off. The High Frame Mode was greyed out so to speak. Here is Resident Evil 2 First 30 minutes on Series X. Could just be me but seem like this one needs VRR. I will try to make more of them for each game. Been trying to upload this since yesterday but stupid crap keeps getting in the way. Audio might be slightly off. Still working on syncing audio and framerate analysis.

El Analista de bits has been grinding, putting out tons and tons of content. I respect it and the channel is growing.

From what I remember the only area's where RT reflections make sense in RE2 are:

The police station main lobby
The roof with the helicopter
The lab

Those grainy SSR reflections were so bad in those areas but the rest of the game was OK to me.

Surely they could have used the power to just sort the SSR reflections out and use the performance for other things?

From what I remember the only area's where RT reflections make sense in RE2 are:

The police station main lobby
The roof with the helicopter
The lab

Those grainy SSR reflections were so bad in those areas but the rest of the game was OK to me.

Surely they could have used the power to just sort the SSR reflections out and use the performance for other things?
Oh it surely begs the question if many times RT is just an overkill addition that makes less sense when taking into consideration the performance costs.
It works wonderfully in some areas (look for example at the relfections of Jill on metal surfaces) and how crap it looks in others (puddle reflections in Resi 7).
The difference is quite often minimal or zero and clean SSR very often look just as good.

Oh it surely begs the question if many times RT is just an overkill addition that makes less sense when taking into consideration the performance costs.
It works wonderfully in some areas (look for example at the relfections of Jill on metal surfaces) and how crap it looks in others (puddle reflections in Resi 7).
The difference is quite often minimal or zero and clean SSR very often look just as good.
I think they should crank up some other gfx settings (maybve res) and lock it to 30 fps in RT mode. The game does not support VRR right?

I think they should crank up some other gfx settings (maybve res) and lock it to 30 fps in RT mode. The game does not support VRR right?
Oh I think it doesnt. I hope I am wrong though. RT with everything else cranked up and VRR would have done wonders.
Rift Apart is more demanding and look how awesome that looks. Why hasnt Capcom and so many other devs thought about this?

Don't know what you're complaining about. It runs great as it is with RT and if that's the only way Capcom can make reflections look not-shit, then so be it!
I am stealing this phrase. When people ask "how do I look?", I shall reply "you look not-shit" and leave them to work out if that's a compliment or a diss. :runaway:

PS5 is probably using a more robust reconstruction method as IQ is cleaner than on XSX by a long shot.

RE2 Remake runs so beautifully. What a gorgeous game and the RT fixes the completely terrible SSR implementation. It's absolutely transformative for some scenes. Not so much others however.

7680x3200 resolution (downsampled to my monitors resolution 3840x1600) maxed out with RT medium. 30fps locked.

20220616133051-1.jpg

20220616133110-1.jpg

20220616133400-1.jpg

And another thing is just how much they've improved the load times. I've made a couple of quick videos, on on my PC, and the other on my Steam Deck.

PC - ~3 seconds

Steam Deck - ~6 seconds (1080p mix of high/low settings 30fps lock)

Pretty darn nice!

Don't know what you're complaining about. It runs great as it is with RT and if that's the only way Capcom can make reflections look not-shit, then so be it!

I've been using something of that sort to describe ST:range New Worlds as "the least shit of the new ST live-action series", with ST: P being shit and ST: D being absolute shit. :poop:

The RE3 remake is shite, so nobody cares too much about that. The game was atrocious, in that it stripped away just about everything from the original. Nemesis was made into a very generic villain as well, who can somehow disappear through ceilings now. It was just a terrible game overall. Enough said...

I wasn't that impressed with the RE2 remake for also cutting out content. But meh. As an alternate take on the original, I think it's acceptable. At least they tried to make it scary.

Not sure what to think of RE7, really. It doesn't feel like a RE game. But I think people would take it over RE6 any day. It's still an enjoyable game.

Welcome to the family... SON!

The RE3 remake is shite, so nobody cares too much about that. The game was atrocious, in that it stripped away just about everything from the original. Nemesis was made into a very generic villain as well, who can somehow disappear through ceilings now. It was just a terrible game overall. Enough said...

I wasn't that impressed with the RE2 remake for also cutting out content. But meh. As an alternate take on the original, I think it's acceptable. At least they tried to make it scary.

Not sure what to think of RE7, really. It doesn't feel like a RE game. But I think people would take it over RE6 any day. It's still an enjoyable game.

Welcome to the family... SON!
Is it bad that I never played the originals (and even the remakes in PS4, as I only ever played RE8 which was fantastic), so I’m loving RE2 so far. How embarrassing.

Back