PlayStation 5 DualSense Edge Controllers

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
Official PlayStation 5 “Pro” Controllers Coming Soon (Hardware Details)
Sources have revealed that Sony is creating a new "Pro" style controller for the PlayStation 5!

Sony is working on a “genuine professional controller” for the PlayStation 5 and the company will reveal new hardware in the coming weeks, sources have claimed.

It’s believed the codename of the controller is “Hunt”, which will have several interesting features including removable analog sticks, trigger stops, and rear buttons (flappy paddles).

Hopefully they will also release back button attachment for regular DualSense.

Also, does removable sticks option mean just the top part or entire stick assembly [which can sometimes fail]?

Also, does removable sticks option mean just the top part or entire stick assembly [which can sometimes fail]?

I'm assuming it's only the top part, as this sounds like the PlayStation equivalent of the Xbox Elite Controller.

Looks like the entire stick hardware will be interchangeable.
There was a controller that had the larger interchangeable blocks, so you could swap where the D-Pad or Analog Sticks were. I wonder if it'll be like that, meaning the entire analog blocks. I'd welcome that if you truly can swap out the analog parts in a modular way on Xbox too. Maybe there would be an aftermarket kit for more professional grade parts.

I loved the way the old Wico Bat style Controllers were built industrial tough, but those weren't analog sticks so it was easier to toughen the on/off directional inputs.

There was a controller that had the larger interchangeable blocks, so you could swap where the D-Pad or Analog Sticks were. I wonder if it'll be like that, meaning the entire analog blocks. I'd welcome that if you truly can swap out the analog parts in a modular way on Xbox too. Maybe there would be an aftermarket kit for more professional grade parts.

I loved the way the old Wico Bat style Controllers were built industrial tough, but those weren't analog sticks so it was easier to toughen the on/off directional inputs.
There were models of the PS3 controller that had analog sticks that weren't soldered to the board. They were standard Alps sticks IIRC, and they were just placed in slots through the conductive film in the controller and I think a rubber gasket of sorts to maintain contact with the film and the posts on the pots. While I hated this design, there isn't actually anything that would prevent them from including a socket that standard sticks plug into.

Would be nice if not only were the analog units replaceable, but if you could swap left analog and d-pad placements as well.

Have replaceable d-pads and analog sticks would be great.

I love my elite and elite 2 so this would be welcome for sony fans. A premium controller sounds great. I hope they make the triggers stronger as I hear people have been having issues with that.

I am guessing its another year or two before MS puts out an elite 3. So it could be kinda cool to see sony take a bit from ms and add in their own stuff and then for an elite 3 MS take a bit from sony and add on more of their own stuff and watch a flip flopping of innovation

I really hope that the Elite 3 has easily replaceable batteries like the Elite 1.

After throwing away another electronic device (electric toothbrush this time) because the battery couldn't hold a charge for very long, I'm extremely reluctant to buy any electronic device that has non-replaceable batteries. It's especially galling because I have another significantly cheaper electric toothbrush by the same manufacturer that is older which is still working just fine ... because it uses standard AA batteries. That newer more expensive one would still be useable if I could easily change the batteries.

Aaaauuuugh, electronic devices with non-user replaceable batteries are the height of stupidity, IMO. Hell, my friend just recently had to throw away 2 pairs of Apple Airpods because of this and I had to get a new phone because Apple refused to replace the battery in an iPhone where the battery was no longer holding a long enough charge.

Basically, I'll never buy an Elite 2 because of this. Hell, I wouldn't even care if I had to buy a "proprietary" battery in order to replace it as long as I can easily replace the damn battery.

Regards,
SB

I really hope that the Elite 3 has easily replaceable batteries like the Elite 1.

After throwing away another electronic device (electric toothbrush this time) because the battery couldn't hold a charge for very long, I'm extremely reluctant to buy any electronic device that has non-replaceable batteries. It's especially galling because I have another significantly cheaper electric toothbrush by the same manufacturer that is older which is still working just fine ... because it uses standard AA batteries. That newer more expensive one would still be useable if I could easily change the batteries.

Aaaauuuugh, electronic devices with non-user replaceable batteries are the height of stupidity, IMO. Hell, my friend just recently had to throw away 2 pairs of Apple Airpods because of this and I had to get a new phone because Apple refused to replace the battery in an iPhone where the battery was no longer holding a long enough charge.

Basically, I'll never buy an Elite 2 because of this. Hell, I wouldn't even care if I had to buy a "proprietary" battery in order to replace it as long as I can easily replace the damn battery.

Regards,
SB
The battery is replaceable if you are OK taking apart the controller. You use a spudger to pop the face off, take out some T8 security screws and the back will come off. There's a small compartment on the back half of the controller held in with t5 or t6 screws (I don't remember which) and the battery is right there. You can order a replacement battery from ebay.

The battery is replaceable if you are OK taking apart the controller. You use a spudger to pop the face off, take out some T8 security screws and the back will come off. There's a small compartment on the back half of the controller held in with t5 or t6 screws (I don't remember which) and the battery is right there. You can order a replacement battery from ebay.

That's obviously better than nothing, but I'm getting to an age where I don't want to fudge around with things like that for a variety of reasons (time, safety, not inadvertently damaging the device depending on how easy/hard it is to get to the battery, etc.). For example, the last thing I took apart in order to replace something broke off one of the plastic "tabs" that help secure the cover. Sure, I could also pay someone to do it, but it'd be great if it just had a nice little battery bay like all electronic devices used to have. :p

It's why I love the original Elite controller or the older Logitech rechargeable mice (they came with pre-installed AA lithium ion batteries that were easily accessible and replaced when they started to lose their ability to hold a decent charge). And while Logitech still makes mice that use standard batteries, unfortunately their better gaming mice don't. Fortunately, with Powerplay, it really doesn't matter if the battery can't hold a charge anymore since the mousepad continuously charges the mouse while you are using it. A compromise, but one I can live with.

Regards,
SB

In the case of the Series 2, it's pretty easy to swap the battery. It's a bit scary to pry off the faceplate if you've never done it, but that's about it. If you break your faceplate, I'm fairly sure there are plenty of those for sale as well.

I really like the removable anlog sticks. makes me hope that you can add on premium ones based on hal sensors. Also hope its something MS cribs from Sony

I don't need a PS5 controller with all the extras. I need one with a way larger battery because it's a travesty the difference between my elite 2 (or my regular Xbox controller) and the PS5 controller. 6 to 12 hours usually lasts 2 to 3 sessions for me on the PS5 while I get more like 8 to 12 sessions on the elite. I regularly use both consoles so it creates a feeling as if the PS5 controller can't hold a charge.

Back