CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

Because it shouldn't be anyone's business what I use a GPU I paid my own money for. I understand frustrations of real gamers and that a lot of cards went straight from factories to big farms, but what landed in retail shouldn't be any more regulated than it is now.
My card, I can use it as a flower pot if I wish, I bought it and own it. At least that is what I like to think ...

I agree. I think NVIDIA knows that the crypto-mining thing is at best temporary. It's not a good foundation to build your business on.
I still don't think there are going to be a "GPU glut" after crypto mining is no longer that profitable, as most people probably don't want to buy a used "mining" card. There are some rumors about NVIDIA might consider delaying Ada to let retailers to get rid of their current inventories but I don't believe that's a good idea (not to mention that AMD is not standing still). The best way to get rid of all these retired mining GPUs is to release affordable (and much faster) new GPUs so no one would even consider buying a used one.

I agree. I think NVIDIA knows that the crypto-mining thing is at best temporary. It's not a good foundation to build your business on.
I still don't think there are going to be a "GPU glut" after crypto mining is no longer that profitable, as most people probably don't want to buy a used "mining" card. There are some rumors about NVIDIA might consider delaying Ada to let retailers to get rid of their current inventories but I don't believe that's a good idea (not to mention that AMD is not standing still). The best way to get rid of all these retired mining GPUs is to release affordable (and much faster) new GPUs so no one would even consider buying a used one.
30 series cards will be mighty fine for gaming for several years still though. Dumping them all into a landfill because they were presumably used for mining seems like a definition of waste.

I don't buy the AIB over-stock bullshit for a second.

If you have too much stock what do you do? You lower the price to get rid of it. I see none of that. A 3080Ti is still four digits which is daft.

Only reason the AIBs need to sell at that price at retail is that NV pumped the price of the core components, so the AIBs don't want to sell at a loss. Which would be NVs fault not AIBs.

30 series cards will be mighty fine for gaming for several years still though. Dumping them all into a landfill because they were presumably used for mining seems like a definition of waste.

You are not "dumping" 30 series cards, but enticing people with older cards to upgrade.
And I agree with @nutball as I don't see the GPUs in any kind of crazy sales. Even if you got these cards with a higher cost, if you feel pressure with inventories you'll try to get rid of them with sales as soon as possible.

Thanks, that definitely answers my question. I didn't think anyone was keeping track nor should they, I figure the best they could do is get an approximation after the fact from relevant gaming/mining statistics.

Yeah, just checked and used RTX 3070's are starting to sell for ~350 USD and up on Ebay (listings that have actually sold) although most are still over 550 USD. Used 3070 Ti's starting to sell (sold listings again) for ~450 USD and up.

If they drop down to around 250-300 USD for a used 3070, I'd be tempted to take a chance on a used one.

Regards,
SB

I hope NEXO is next. Same business model basically. Ran by a hedge fund. Says it's 100%+ collateralised - guess what it's collateralised in...

Any idea what exactly is memory shielding being talked here? https://wccftech.com/beware-several...d-after-being-abused-in-crypto-mining/?beta=1

It said to allow any rtx 3000 gpu to still be used even with failed memory chips.

Bug googling around, I found nothing other than circling back to wccf

I just watched the video near the end of the article and it looks like the so-called "shielding" is actually using a different bios to avoiding using the defective memory.
It's probably fine for mining because you don't need that much memory capacity and memory bandwidth is generally not that important (latency is more important), and a card works partially is better than a dead card anyway.
Anyway, don't buy cards heavily used for mining. They were probably all under very high stress 24-7 for years and you won't know what'll go wrong. (Unless, of course, you are given one for free, then maybe worth a try :p )

I just watched the video near the end of the article and it looks like the so-called "shielding" is actually using a different bios to avoiding using the defective memory.
It's probably fine for mining because you don't need that much memory capacity and memory bandwidth is generally not that important (latency is more important), and a card works partially is better than a dead card anyway.
Anyway, don't buy cards heavily used for mining. They were probably all under very high stress 24-7 for years and you won't know what'll go wrong. (Unless, of course, you are given one for free, then maybe worth a try :p )

Mining cards usually are on consistently high load with lower stress (power cycle stress, cold/hot stress, etc). If they are cheap enough, I would buy.

Although knowing my luck, it'll probably explode the whole pc or PSU or something hahaha

Ooof, when it rains it pours as the saying goes.

Yet another platform freezes customers assets to prevent those customers from withdrawing their crypto assets as they attempt to find a way to remain in business.

I almost ... almost, feel sorry for people that invested recklessly into cryptocurrency including various governments around the world. But I don't. Greed combined with stupidity put them in that position, so meh.

Unfortunately, due to record inflation levels combined with global shortages and an ongoing war, I'm not sure we'll see much relief on pricing for next gen. GPUs as everyone competes for limited supply of needed components and materials.

Regards,
SB

"Digitally mined" currency is an investment product of the greater-fool-theory variety. It has zero intrinsic value and therefore can't be categorized as an asset. The so-called "value" is purely speculative on price and movement. There is no cashflow or economic activity, rather it's a medium of exchange / bartering tool that various people have assigned value to, as part of a larger zero-sum game.

The underlying technologies of blockchain and proof of work/proof of stake, and various metaimprovements with encryption are all useful technologies, none of which have any bearing on establishing crypto value.

Crypto is only so much the future as any other pointless bubble. See also: NFTs

What was it that I said last page, regarding the most clueless crowd towards crypto being the crowd that Beyond3D represents? Of which I concluded with the following remark:

"To confidently offer a verdict without knowing the basics, is what I mean."

Lo and behold, enters @Albuquerque. Confidently incorrect, no knowledge of the basics, gathering "likes" from his equals.

Aww, where's dskneo these days? We all hope he's not explaining to his bank why he doesn't have money to pay the HELOC loan he used to buy speculative "recession proof" digital currency. Or worse, in bankruptcy court after missing payments for the last three months as his entire net worth is shattered on the floor. It's strange that the currency of the free future can be held captive and also lose such tremendous value so quickly.

"Confidently incorrect" about that greater fool theory seemed a greater fool thing to say.

Back