The Last of Us, Part 1 Remaster Remaster [PS5, PC]

LOU Remaster was a 2016 release, right? That's 8 years. Shadow of the Colossus was released in 2005. got remastered in 2011 (6 years) and remade in 2018 (7 years). I can't remember a single person being upset about that schedule.
No idea when it came out. I think the real issue is that it seems they are just pushing the same game out every console generation now and charging each time.

If people are cool with that then that is great for them. I hope they get what they want out of the remastered.

LOU Remaster was a 2016 release, right? That's 8 years. Shadow of the Colossus was released in 2005. got remastered in 2011 (6 years) and remade in 2018 (7 years). I can't remember a single person being upset about that schedule.
The remaster came out just a year after the PS3 original. So 2014.

I think more important than just the gap in years is the actual generational differences involved. TLOU1 was a shockingly good looking game at the time, at the very, very tail end of the PS3/X360 era. And it still didn't look half bad remastered at 1080p on PS4. Basically, it still feels like a relatively modern game from a technical standpoint.

Whereas something like SOTC, while good looking when it came out on PS2, was definitely quite dated looking by mid-PS4 generation standards. Diminishing returns on technical advancements means as you go farther back, the actual generational gaps will tend to feel bigger.

I just think there would have been more interesting projects they could have worked on than this one. Ones that actually deserved a remake/enhancement a lot more.

I just think there would have been more interesting projects they could have worked on than this one. Ones that actually deserved a remake/enhancement a lot more
Do those projects have a forthcoming TV show that will drive sales on a modern console?

Do those projects have a forthcoming TV show that will drive sales on a modern console?
It's of no interest to me whether they do or not.

Obviously Sony felt it was entirely justified or else they wouldn't have done it. You dont need to rationalize it from their perspective, cuz that is what it is.

But you're not going to convince me personally that it was the best use of their resources.

It's of no interest to me whether they do or not.

Obviously Sony felt it was entirely justified or else they wouldn't have done it. You dont need to rationalize it from their perspective, cuz that is what it is.

But you're not going to convince me personally that it was the best use of their resources.
But the goal is to make as much money as possible for Sony, so it might actually be the best use of their resources with that goal in mind...

But the goal is to make as much money as possible for Sony, so it might actually be the best use of their resources with that goal in mind...
Ok, well you can feel free to worry most about what is best for a mega corporation. I'm not gonna do that myself, though.

FVOStktXEAIjOUm

Ok, well you can feel free to worry most about what is best for a mega corporation. I'm not gonna do that myself, though.
I mean, you effectively are though - at least by asking if this is the "the best use of their resources", as it's really not the ideal framing to use when it's directed at a corporation as the answer should be blatantly obvious. Recognizing that isn't 'worrying' about their bottom line, someone stating that fact isn't an automatic corporate sycophant (if anything it's more cynical!). Like TLOU2 wasn't brought to market because this story just needed to be told (this particular one just as hell didn't imo), it was brought to the market because it was expected to be a huge hit.

You can of course argue that this is a more blatant cash-grab and obviously largely meant to tie in to the HBO series, ultimately it will bring even less innovation than your usual AAA fare that's bound by all of the conventions that huge budget releases invariably are already, sure. It's clear this is not 'needed' in the sense that it's about as safe a release as you could possibly make, and you can absolutely point at Sony for being greedy with that ridiculous (imo) $80 price tag for the third iteration of the same story - especially for a game that relies so heavily on story to begin with.

But if anything, it absolutely is the 'best use of resources' for a business - it's something that's close to a surefire bet of being a largely successful release. Companies tend to like that.

...ridiculous (imo) $80 price tag for the third iteration of the same story - especially for a game that relies so heavily on story to begin with.

Thinking about that I believe the only reason that Sony feel like they can justify that price is because of the tie in with the HBO series. Basically, they're hoping for either a lot of suckers or people not familiar with the franchise watching the TV show then suddenly wanting to play the game who would simultaneously be turned off from the idea if the only version they could play was one that was released years ago.

Heck, the Demon Souls remake was "only" 70 USD despite that being a significantly more labor intensive remake than TLOU part 1. But without a high profile TV series to tie it into, that's likely as high as Sony felt they could get away with.

Regards,
SB

Heck, the Demon Souls remake was "only" 70 USD despite that being a significantly more labor intensive remake than TLOU part 1. But without a high profile TV series to tie it into, that's likely as high as Sony felt they could get away with.
So I wouldn't pretend to be privy to the contents of the contracts in particular, but I find it highly unlikely that a re-release of a character driven game like this wouldn't require some sort of compensation to the voice and motion capture artists if they are using the same performances. So while a project like Demon Souls remake might have been more work, it doesn't mean that it costs less to make. Though the existence of residual clauses doesn't mean that Sony aren't making more as well. The point is, it's really hard to tell how much a piece of art, especially in media, costs to make. There are a lot of pieces in that puzzle.

The only reason I would consider the remake is because of the commitment to changing gameplay elements like combat, stealth, puzzles etc. The ps4 remastered graphics are more than sufficient to just play the title, but the gameplay keeps making me want to turn it off. And it's not the type of criticism I want to say publicly because some people will just trash me for it, but I bought a PS5 to play these classic titles, and I have to say that TLOU as a game (10 years after release) did not age well in terms of gameplay mechanics.

The only reason I would consider the remake is because of the commitment to changing gameplay elements like combat, stealth, puzzles etc. The ps4 remastered graphics are more than sufficient to just play the title, but the gameplay keeps making me want to turn it off. And it's not the type of criticism I want to say publicly because some people will just trash me for it, but I bought a PS5 to play these classic titles, and I have to say that TLOU as a game (10 years after release) did not age well in terms of gameplay mechanics.

I'd say that opinion about TLOU1 is very common in fact - a good, solid story told very effectively (but largely carried by its performances), but also extremely mediocre gameplay.

I'd say that opinion about TLOU1 is very common in fact - a good, solid story told very effectively (but largely carried by its performances), but also extremely mediocre gameplay.
I dont know why some of you you call it mediocre. The gameplay totally immersed and engaged me even though it was linear. The way AI behaved and the tools it gave to the player had the variety and enough freedom to keep it fun.
Where Resident Evil focused on puzzles with backtracking but the enemy AI was braindead (you kno.... since they are zombies and deformed mutated monsters), TLOU is the reverse. Its puzzles are braindead, but dialed up the engagement with enemies to 11. They form packs, they change behaviors, you can form different approaches. Unlike most games they didnt overpack it with unnecessary gameplay mechanics and length. And they know how to eliminate repetition which is exactly what every Gears of War games were. Walk, cover shoot, pull lever, walk, cover, shoot, pull lever walk, cover shoot.....
ND knows how to keep gameplay simple, highly approachable, and yet very very engaging. Anyone can play their games, where Resident Evil games need special nerves and patience. If we ignore of course the bullshit that Resi 6 was, and the punching bags and bullet sponges of 4 and 5. Braindead puzzles and enemies.

As much as I appreciate the new facial expression and more realistic look. I do prefer a bit of the more saturated colour palet of the original.
The same goes for some of the cutscenes from the different second to second scenes where you can appreciate some of the environment in-door details.
I do wonder what it would' ve just looked like if they only kept the same models but with enhanced facial animation.
In this shot I found the OG Tess having a more " determined, desperate look " on her face in the first seconds compared to the remake.
Can't wait to see more of the gameplay.

Thinking about that I believe the only reason that Sony feel like they can justify that price is because of the tie in with the HBO series.
Pricing for anything is entirely predicted on charging what you think people will pay, based on your target sales. It's not an arbitrary thing. You charge what people will pay then reduce the price over time to catch more and more people who weren't willing to bite previously.

If Sony sell 2m copies at $70 over $40 or $50, that's tens of millions of dollars. They'll still tap into that $50 and $40 market over time.

Back