NPD May 2022

I would have hoped that Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising would make the list. It was only 15 bucks if I remember correctly. It's on game but it is also on PlayStation and Steam.

Quick post before I find time later to go over NPD details. It'll be a virtual miracle for a 15 USD title to make the NPD public Top X charts since those are based on revenue and not units sold.

That gives PS5 titles a bit of a leg up as they are priced higher than any other game titles available on any other platform.

Regards,
SB

Really interesting esp xbox being the only yoy grower in terms of dollars.

I think its going to be brutal with the way the world wide economy is going. MS may have hit the jackpot with the series S

I would like to see some actual Series S sales number somewhere, anywhere, (besides Japan miniscule Xbox sales, and Series S was basically built in a lab for Japan, and ok, we do get some hard numbers for Spain, but also small) before we declare that. Series S hasn't been sold out at any point is about all I know.

I mean seriously, no NPD breakdown of S versus X number has ever leaked? That's kinda somebody is hiding something odd.

I would like to see some actual Series S sales number somewhere, anywhere, (besides Japan miniscule Xbox sales, and Series S was basically built in a lab for Japan, and ok, we do get some hard numbers for Spain, but also small) before we declare that. Series S hasn't been sold out at any point is about all I know.

I mean seriously, no NPD breakdown of S versus X number has ever leaked? That's kinda somebody is hiding something odd.
Series S sells out at stores its just that it gets restocked. For almost a year it was extremely difficult to find in store. Even now when I hit target or walmart I don't see them often.

I can see stock at my local Targets. The nearest store has 1 left , second closest 5 , third closet 2 and the next 4 are sold out it does come with halo infinite now however

As for walmart it doesn't give an instore option only online. Best buy seems like the best choice , its avalible at every store apparently but it doesn't tell me how many

Great NPD YTD chart from SoonyXbone at installbase forum

npd.png

Also from the more you know files, apparently a lot of the NPD leaks stopped because Pachter stopped subscribing to NPD. He decided NPD to be worthless without digital sales, which only participating companies in the panel get. Evidently Pachter was the source of a lot of the leaks directly or indirectly.

Last edited:
So, just a quick hit.
  1. Elden Ring – Bandai Namco
  2. LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga – Warner Bros. Interactive
  3. Nintendo Switch Sports * – Nintendo
  4. Evil Dead: The Game – Saber Interactive
  5. MLB The Show 22 – Multiple Video Game Manufactures
  6. Kirby and the Forgotten Land * – Nintendo
  7. Call of Duty: Vanguard – Activision Blizzard
  8. Mario Kart 8 * – Nintendo
  9. Gran Turismo 7 – Sony
  10. Pokemon Legends: Arceus * – Nintendo
  11. Minecraft – Multiple Video Game Manufactures
  12. Horizon: Forbidden West – Sony
  13. Animal Crossing: New Horizons * – Nintendo
  14. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate * – Nintendo
  15. Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War – Activision Blizzard
  16. FIFA 22 – EA
  17. Mario Party Superstars * – Nintendo
  18. Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl * – Nintendo
  19. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) – Activision Blizzard
  20. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – Multiple Video Game Manufactures
  • * Digital sales not included
Fantastic, Elden Ring retook the top spot and maintained its hold as the bestselling title of 2022 so far. Gives me hope that it'll encourage other AAA developers to stop treating gamers as if they were idiots incapable of thinking for themselves.

[rant]
Related side rant to the above ... Death to protagonists in modern AAA games that are constantly talking to themselves as if they were autistic or suffer from multiple personality disorder!!! ARGH, that's the trend that I absolutely HATE the most in modern day AAA games. Please AAA developers, use Elden Ring as an example of how a protagonist that isn't constantly talking to themselves is a GOOD thing, a VERY GOOD thing. It's so hard to take a protagonist in a game seriously when they are constantly talking to themselves.
[/rant]

Sony has 3 titles in the top 20. That's pretty impressive considering 2 of those are single platform titles. Especially impressed that GT7 is still in the top 10.

Minecraft ... the forever charting title.

Did something come out recently for Skyrim? A new mod or something? Just kind of bizarre seeing it chart again.

COD might not be in the top spot or even the top 5 anymore, but there are 3 COD titles in the Top 20. So, there's still a lot of interest in COD, it's just splintered across multiple games.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
MLB: The Show did not make the physical list this year on Xbox. I guess last year's sucess might have been just people playing a Unicorn. I know someone will say digital was excluded but last year physical was definitely on the list. Did it at least make the list on Switch this year?

MLB: The Show did not make the physical list this year on Xbox. I guess last year's sucess might have been just people playing a Unicorn. I know someone will say digital was excluded but last year physical was definitely on the list. Did it at least make the list on Switch this year?
Isn't it also a game pass game ?

Back