Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase [2022-06-12]

The surprises for me was the focus on only games within the next 12 months, Hollow Knight: Silksong, and the Personas.

"Hunt, Survive, Vanquish in Hollow Knight: Silksong, launching Day One on Xbox Game Pass."

"Persona 5 Royal, Persona 4 Golden, and Persona 3 Portable are coming to Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Windows PC! Persona 5 Royal releases October 21, 2022! "

Watching trailers in 4K is a transformative experience.

What I don't like is their new labeling of Xbox consoles, regardless if its cross gen or current gen only.

Pretty much just script of what was said in vids.
Nice nugget was
Tune into Forza Monthly this Thursday, June 16 on our official Twitch and YouTube channels when Forza Motorsport Creative Director Chris Esaki will dive into what you see in the trailer.

What I don't like is their new labeling of Xbox consoles, regardless if its cross gen or current gen only.

That might be leaning into being able to play the titles on last-gen using xCloud streaming.

That might be leaning into being able to play the titles on last-gen using xCloud streaming.
They have the cloud label that also covers that.

The last case of benedict fox said xbox x|s only on it, where as flight sim xbox consoles.
Things like that I feel xbox should be consistent about, especially when it's in a show like this.

Edit:
Yeah, watching trailers pretty inconstant, naraka says XS only, Forza MS xbox consoles. So I guess it's a xbox studios thing now. Although only remember seeing xbox consoles during actual show

Final edit:
Just looked at Era FM8 thread and 80% of it is talking about if it's cross gen or not. What they have now decided to do is confusing. But leave it to MS to find a way to change something from being simple to confusing.

Last edited:
Forza looks so incredible!

massive_Forza_Motorsport_Xbox_Games_Showcase2022_Press_Kit_08_16x9_WM_bdada51e96.webp

s6eslw4.jpg

To them there is no more xbox one. They don't produce them anymore.

Anyway the showcase as an A for me. The only thing it really lacked was avowed but that could something they show off in the fall. I did like that everything is in the next 12 months . The slip of redfall and starfield certainly hurt 2022 but man 2023 is looking to be a pretty damn good year for MS and we haven't really seen anything for the second half of that year.

Starfield looks like it does what Star Citizen has been promising

Anyway the showcase as an A for me. The only thing it really lacked was avowed but that could something they show off in the fall. I did like that everything is in the next 12 months . The slip of redfall and starfield certainly hurt 2022 but man 2023 is looking to be a pretty damn good year for MS and we haven't really seen anything for the second half of that year.

Starfield looks like it does what Star Citizen has been promising
Next year's showcase might be called the Xbox, Bethesda, Activision-Blizzard, and King Showcase 2023. They are going to need to find a better naming convention. Sticking to 12 months was smart considering what is instore for next year.

That doesn't really make sense.
And some games are on the XO and others aren't.
Causing confusion for people, because wouldn't be MS otherwise.
But I've made my point I guess, no need for me to drag thread down with my nitpick/rolling eyes.

The surprises for me was the focus on only games within the next 12 months...

There's speculation that stuff that is more than 12 months away from some MS studios might be shown on the next MS event on the 14th.

"Persona 5 Royal, Persona 4 Golden, and Persona 3 Portable are coming to Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Windows PC! Persona 5 Royal releases October 21, 2022! "

HELL YEAH! Even if this ends up on Game Pass, I'll still be buying it.

OK, been a busy day, now it's time for me to go and watch the conference in 4k. :)

I've heard from various people that the MS conference was head and shoulders above all the other conferences, so I'm pretty excited.

Regards,
SB

Impressive if FM retains such high quality Ray Tracing on Series X. They pretty much aimed for perfection by the looks of it. Makes GT7 look like a lesser effort.

MS is showing strong teeth.

Am I the only one who thinks that the Kojima announcement should not have been part of the show? No gameplay footage and nothing coming out this year. This might be the one thing in the show that Microsoft will regret doing.

Wait what? All champions and stuff unlocked in all Riot games on Game Pass? Wait what? I guess if they are getting money from MS for everyone that plays the game on GP, then that trumps getting large lumps of money from the few whales in the standard F2P version? I dunno, this sounds way too good to be true. Although I guess it doesn't mention cosmetics, so there probably will still be some microtransactions. Still, that's pretty bonkers if all the characters and stuff are unlocked. Wait, AND you get free XP boosts? I don't even play these games and I'm speechless that MS managed to pull this off. Wait, and that extends to the mobile versions of those games? So, I guess it checks if your account is associated with Game Pass and if it is it just unlocks those things in the mobile versions of the games? What?!?!?!

Plague Tale: Requiem looks great. I need to make time to play the first one so I can be ready for the 2nd one. Time ... I need more of it. :p

Forza Motorsport looks really good. Not something I'm interested in playing but looks really good and perhaps gives an indication of what improvements we might see in the next Forza Horizons game (which I will probably play). Interesting that they aren't calling it Forza Motorsport 8, but just Forza Motorsport. Vehicle damage looks really good. Interesting that they are highlighting trackside detail and not just track detail. Also, I know the RT based reflection on the vehicles is supposed to be impressive, but it's hardly noticeable compared to all of the other improvements that they have made to the game. Probably because I just don't really see it unless they slow down the game and specifically focus the camera on it.

So glad that FS2020 is still getting a lot of support. I also can't believe that every time I see new footage from the game, I still can't believe it looks as good as it does. Asobo really hit it out of the park graphically with this game.

Haha, glad to see Forza Horizon partnered with Hot Wheels again. :D

Nice to see Gunfire Reborn on here, I love that game. Spent way too much time in it. :D

The Last Case of Benedict Fox, that might be good. It at least looks thematically interesting.

Interesting, so Obsidian at least is free to make whatever they want to make, large or small it appears. Pentiment looks charming although I'm not sure it's something I'd play. I suspect this isn't something Obsidian would have greenlit if they were still an independent studio or if MS didn't have Game Pass. It's one of those games where it's difficult to convince someone to spend money on it even if it might be a great game. However, on GP, the barrier to someone just giving it a try out of curiosity is significantly lower.

On a related side note, that's one of the best things about Game Pass, IMO. It allows developers to put more focus on the gameplay while ignoring graphics for the most part. You don't NEED flashy graphics in order to sell a game if a person doesn't need to buy a game to play it. You can instead put more of your budget and team focus onto the gameplay with graphics being secondary, tertiary, or last WRT how much attention is put towards it. IMO, that's fantastic as I feel that the past couple of generations of console gaming has put too much of a focus on graphics (because that's what sold) and as a result gameplay in the vast majority of AAA games has suffered greatly. And also allows Indie games to shine much brighter since they typically have to choose between graphics (where they are unlikely to be able to compete with AAA studios) or gameplay (where they often outshine AAA studios). But if they focus on gameplay their prospects for generating sales are unfortunately lower because you can't get a sense of how good the gameplay is from static screenshots or even videos.

I hope PS+ thus focuses on different indie developers than GP focuses on. You can't get all deserving indie developers onto one subscription service, so it'd be great if each subscription service brought in different indie developers to give indie devs greater exposure to gamers.

Anyway, back to the MS showcase. :D

I want Diablo IV to be good, but I just don't trust Blizzard with the franchise anymore. The graphics look nice though.

Ooh, I like the aesthetics of Ravenlok. No clue about the game itself, but I like how it looks.

Wolon looks interesting. I hope this is much better than that disappointment of a FF game that they made. Hopefully either a different team or a different development head. Interesting that Phil Spencer comes out to speak about this title. Almost as if to subtly hint that this will be better than that crappy FF game that they made. :p

And, hell yeah, he came out to also introduce the Persona ports to PC and Xbox. :) God, I can't wait to get my hands on Persona 5 Royale.

Kojima. Wait, there's no way there's going to be a MS partnered game from Kojima within the next 12 months, is there? Also, Kojima Productions working with the teams at MS? Is there some collaboration between Kojima and one or more MS studios? Auuugh, so vague. Oooh, imagine what kind of game could be made if Kojima Productions worked with say Arkane or Tango Gameworks? Ooooooh.

Holy cow that was a long segment on Starfield, but wow, it looks and sounds impressive. Build your own space ships? Land and explore any area of any world inside of a solar system? 1000 solar systems? Space combat? It's almost like they are going back to their roots somewhat as they must be relying on procedural world building in order to have that many explorable locations. Then throw in hand built areas for the main story and possibly side stories. I'm not an open world (open universe? :p) type of guy, but I might have to at least dip my toes into this when it releases.

Maybe I should have broken this up into multiple posts. :p

Regards,
SB

Seemed like about a B/C show graded on my "small expectations" curve. We actually got meaty Starfield gameplay which surprised me. It didn't blow me away but I get it, it's no mans skyrim. Should be loads of fun for those into that. I dont like advertising 1000 planets tho, that just tells me 950 of them are procedurally generated. I'd much rather see only say 30 hand crafted planets. Now just to wait for the probable slip to 2024 in a few months.

What else, Forza is well Forza. Main thing I wonder how much Series S is holding it back. Which will be something in the back of my mind for any current gen only titles going forward.

Redfall looked kinda lame but also ok, I'm glad it appears to be a straightforward FPS again instead of the weirdness of their last game.

Cant even think of a 4th thing to put. No PDZ or Fable altho that was leaked before. Nothing about Gears or Halo.

And everything 2023 wah wah.

Next year's showcase might be called the Xbox, Bethesda, Activision-Blizzard, and King Showcase 2023. They are going to need to find a better naming convention. Sticking to 12 months was smart considering what is instore for next year.

My Guess is once Activision is part of Microsoft we will get the Spring show case of Microsoft + Bethesda and then The fall show case of Microsoft + Acitvision-Blizzard. Once all the studios are under one roof and start firing on all cylinders its going to be hard to contain it in one show.
That doesn't really make sense.
And some games are on the XO and others aren't.
Causing confusion for people, because wouldn't be MS otherwise.
But I've made my point I guess, no need for me to drag thread down with my nitpick/rolling eyes.

For Microsoft I don't really know of a game coming out published by them for Xbox one from this show. Other companies may release xbox one titles but I am sure that is going to dry up really quickly moving forward.

Also, it just struck me that Rod Fergusson was presenting Diablo IV. I didn't know that he'd left The Coalition to go work for Blizzard. Guess he's in charge of Diablo IV's development, so maybe there's some hope for it. Still don't trust Blizzard with the IP anymore, however.

Regards,
SB

Back