The Last of Us, Part 1 Remaster Remaster [PS5, PC]

on ps3 cutscenes were prerendered, and even bigger diff will be during gameplay as its realy big difference between lou2 and lou1 so same will be here
Did they switch to real time on the remaster? Or was it also prerendered?

I stopped playing the original because of how much “pick up piece of wood or ladder and place here to cross path” there was. If they completely revamp the exploration and progression I might actually play it.

Suuuure, but that also has the risk of causing fatigue and driving people away from the IP. Also, a lot of the charm of the original was that it felt like this one off art-house film kind of game, almost like an artsy indie game, but with the production values of AAA. This eternal milking of it does shave off some of the sheen.

I think this release isn't aimed at you but people who missed it on PS3 and didn't buy the PS4 remaster, or people who have not played it for ten years. Or people who couldn't play it because accessibility features weren't as big a thing as they are today. Sony will have numbers on the number of people (PSN accounts) that played TLoU on PS3, PS4 and TLoU Part II on PS4 and PS5. There are probably a number of people who played Part II but didn't play the original and this may be an attempt to tap into that market.

Despite all the rhetoric of "built from the ground up for the PS5", I doubt this required a massive amount of effort to produce. The engine will certainly mostly be The Last of Us Part II+ / New Naughty Dog PS5 game engine along with the mechanics from Part II. They will not have redone all the performance capture although I wouldn't be surprised to see the odd new scene or voice lines added in.

Also, skyrim with its massive amoubt of content and emergent systems, and GTA with Online mode have massively more replayability than TLoU. If SONY is benchmarking it against those two, they are conserningly missguided.

I was thinking more about the upcoming TV show. There is the multiplayer coming and a third game is coming.

In terms of value for Sony, its most likely a minimal effort compared to developing a whole new game. With this the foundations are there, they just 'port' it over to a new engine to accomodate the new platforms. It does look amazing, and considering its one of the better games ever on Playstation i can see this selling in quite large numbers. The pc gamer market for the most hasnt played it and wouldnt ever if it didnt come to that platform so just there they would get some nice sales, but i can see it selling very well on the PS5 too. If this is a 60/70 dollar game i think it wont be a problem.

See it this way, its quite dire with games now (actual 'next gen' AAA games), cross-gen games look quite subpar for the most so this is better than nothing in-between for when the true games start coming out. As said i think not much development time and resources have gone to waste for this remake, god knows maybe its Nixxess helping out aswell. Its also intresting to see with the load times between PS5 and PC since this doesnt seem like a cross-gen title.

They revamped the gameplay and AI. TLOU2 gameplay is far ahead TLOU. This will be important.
This could actually convince me to try it when the price drops to reasonable level. I never finished tlou1 becouse of ancient obnoxious gameplay. Simply hated this game. Same with uncharted remaster I was surprised how much better 4 was. On whole different level.

Was anyone left feeling glad that they didn't announce this as an actual remake? They may call it that in the promotional content, but it's actually another remaster.

I honestly cannot be bothered with developers constantly churning out remakes and the stalling tactics these companies use is ridiculous. Kind of like with Capcom. No DLC news for RE8 in a year, folks. Wow!

In all the time they squander on remakes with omitted content, that's money they could have put towards something totally new. You know? That people just want to play the same old crap, it's sad.

I'll say one thing: Naughty Dog informs their fans. They also challenge their fans when necessary. They made it known Laura Bailey being harassed wasn't cool, for example. They're absolutely dedicated over there. You have to at least give them kudos where it's due.

Not trying to be a Naughty Dog fanboy, or a suck up. But they earned my respect. They are passionate about delivering a game that will be praised for the ages. But even Naughty Dog fans can be spiteful and awkward. Moaning about Joel dying and Abby looking all manly, and there being a girl who pretends to be a boy, and whatnot, when the game is otherwise brilliant.

Capcom on the other hand, is just flat out greedy. Why remake RE4 anyway? Oh, but it will sell countless units no doubt, because you got these so-called "hardcore fans" of the franchise that never even touched, nor truly cared for the old PlayStation 1 games, saying it's so amazing. But RE4 in my opinion, is incredibly overrated. If you go on GameFAQs, they act so smart. But trust me. They don't care for the retro classics one bit.

Like imagine killing a giant ogre and getting gold bars, and then selling stuff to a vendor with no wagon, and being able to blast up everything in your path. That's not scary Resident Evil. Neither is RE8 quite frankly, if I had to be honest. But it's just how it is. They're always glorifying these games, but the story makes no sense at all.

The Last of Us actually has a story in the backbone, worth discussing.

I'm glad that story is 1:1, they've preserved the original performances!

And visually the entire game looks gorgeous now. PS3 version was limited in so many ways during regular gameplay [pre-rendered shots look better], at the end of the day, everything had to fit in ~ 200MB+200MB of memory.

While I think that original game has very serviceable gameplay, it will be so nice to get full TLOU2 gameplay treatment [new movement options, better animations, enemy AI]. If they go full TLOU2 on gameplay, they will need to re-design exploration and combat environments to better take advantage of new user options [dodge, jump, going prone, hiding in grass, going through cracks...].

I'm glad that story is 1:1, they've preserved the original performances!

While I think that original game has very serviceable gameplay, it will be so nice to get full TLOU2 gameplay treatment [new movement options, better animations, enemy AI]. If they go full TLOU2 on gameplay, they will need to re-design exploration and combat environments to better take advantage of new user options [dodge, jump, going prone, hiding in grass, going through cracks...].

The first game was one of the most perfect for me in terms of length. There was no extraneous padding and unnecessary story, which definitely did feel like an issue - for me at least - in Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us Part II. Both of which had segments that dragged on too long.

I have replayed the original TLoU about once a year since it launched, but having acclimatised to the mechanics in Part II, I've really struggled to go back to the original mechanics. I'll definitely be picking this up this when it's on sale. It would be been nice, although really out of character for Sony, to have a reduced price for those people's accounts show that bought the original game twice (PS3, and PS4) and bought Part II.

I get Sony want to keep profitable, so I'll bide time...

Sony really should have this game launch day one on their PlayStation Plus Extra tier. That way it's only an extra $10 for one month rental to all their loyal consumers. That's the closest they'll get to it being just a $10 Patch Upgrade that it really should be for owners of the previous Remaster.

This is a close to confirmation of changes to levels as we have right now:

Enhanced visuals: Completely rebuilt from the ground up using Naughty Dog's latest PS5™ engine technology to improve every visual detail, The Last of Us™ experience has been faithfully enhanced with more realistic lighting and atmosphere, more intricate environments and creative reimaginings of familiar spaces.

It's a remake. Why are people calling it a remaster still?
Same exact story that faithfully reproduces the previous experiences is kind of splitting hairs on that remastered twice over versus remake distinction is. Now if it truly had TLOU2 mechanics and additional content and a difference in story then I can see it being an actual Remake. When it looks to be 1:1 matching up so closely, it doesn't look like a remake.

Same exact story that faithfully reproduces the previous experiences is kind of splitting hairs on that remastered twice over versus remake distinction is. Now if it truly had TLOU2 mechanics and additional content and a difference in story then I can see it being an actual Remake. When it looks to be 1:1 matching up so closely, it doesn't look like a remake.
So, to you, Demon’s Souls on PS5 is not a remake, since gameplay and content is exactly the same as the original?

Has any gameplay been shown to assume that it matches 1:1 with the original? AFAIK we've seen mostly if not exclusively cinematics.

Last edited:
Imo rule is simple, new engine and assets so its remake (demon souls, lou1r, shadow of colossus, new diablo 2), if gampelay is also totaly new I would use „remade” word (re2r, ff7r)

Imo rule is simple, new engine and assets so its remake (demon souls, lou1r, shadow of colossus, new diablo 2), if gampelay is also totaly new I would use „remade” word (re2r, ff7r)
I agree, remastering is touching up the original content, remake is new assets, engine, etc, even if gameplay only has QOL fixes/enhancements.

Reactions: snc
How do we determine the touching up VS new?

Has Sony/nd/nixxes announced their new character models are new instead of touched up from previous models?

This feels like the conundrums of "new game engine" that's actually was not brand new, but an evolved old engine.

Back