The Last of Us, Part 1 Remaster Remaster [PS5, PC]

TLoU was a masterpiece
It really was. I wished I'd played it, but I watched a (not-rushed) playthrough and was deeply impressed.

PC Gamers, seemingly lots and lots of them, will buy masterpieces from console because they really are, apparently, exclusively PC gamers. So I don't think there's too much fuss to be made over Sony "re-re-re-ing" a game. The for-PS5 release is probably because it'll be derived from the PC release...

Shock, horror, the PS5 release might only exist because there's going to be a PC release.

I wish it looked better than the trailer shows, though. I think that painterly, high-detail, style has had its day now. But I'm prolly in the minority on that, since the style was very deliberately done for the original release. In truth, outdated-graphics don't stop me playing games, so it's not that painful.

For what it's worth, I've never owned a console, and I'm definitely in the target market for Sony's realisation that PC gamers will buy Sony's games on PC.

The same reason Skyrim and GTA V spanned three generations; it's part of an IP with a future and they think it will sell.
I'm pretty sure that is all there is to it.

Suuuure, but that also has the risk of causing fatigue and driving people away from the IP. Also, a lot of the charm of the original was that it felt like this one off art-house film kind of game, almost like an artsy indie game, but with the production values of AAA. This eternal milking of it does shave off some of the sheen.

Also, skyrim with its massive amoubt of content and emergent systems, and GTA with Online mode have massively more replayability than TLoU. If SONY is benchmarking it against those two, they are conserningly missguided.

There was a whole story about why TLOU got chosen. Basically Sony's Visual Arts support studio needed to pick a safe project to prove they could take on bigger projects by themselves, TLOU was more modern and would require less resources in terms of a remake so they went with that instead of UC1. But the budget ended up balooning and Sony wasn't feeling the remake without Naughty Dog, then Naughty Dog was brought in a year ago to finish up the project and also gain some PS5 dev experience.

"Schreier writes in his report that Sony’s Visual Arts Service Group (VASG) in San Diego was originally leading development on the game. Often used by Sony as a support studio for its blockbuster releases, the team wanted to move into proper development and lead up their own project, though the report describes Sony’s ambivalence to the idea. The development team was never given a proper name, and indeed, while there have been reports that they are working on a new project over the last couple of years, the most Sony has done to acknowledge that is say that they’re working on expanding existing PlayStation franchises.​
As Schreier’s report explains, knowing that to be able to move into proper development they’d need to pitch something that would be perceived as a safe bet by Sony executives, they decided to remake a popular PlayStation game for their first project. Their first choice was Uncharted 1, but since that would have required heavy reworking and major investments, decided instead to settle on The Last of Us, which was much more modern and would require fewer overhauls.​
When Hermen Hulst was appointed as the head of Sony Worldwide Studios, however, he wasn’t impressed with the work that was being done. Though a section of the game had been developed to show what the rest of it would like and play like, Hulst believed too much money was being pumped into the project (which was internally being called T1X). VASG founder Michael Mumbauer and his team explained that the game needed that much budget because it was being developed on a new graphics engine to leverage the PS5’s hardware, but Hulst wasn’t convinced.​
Following the launch of The Last of Us Part 2 (for which VASG provided development support), several Naughty Dog developers were allegedly assigned to the development of the T1X, many of whom had been involved with the original’s development. Meanwhile, the project itself was also moved under Naughty Dog’s budget, giving it more freedom and financial leeway. In other words, Naughty Dog were made leave developers on the remake, with VASG demoted to being a support studio again."​

Can't wait to see the photo mode and in depth deep dive of the tech behind this remake.
I do wonder if they are also working on a part II version for PS5 was well.
Maybe they have also implemented some AI and feature ideas from the initial reveal demo.
Can't wait to see the renewed gameplay mechanic but wonder if and how they have implemented it to the level design.I' ll probably wait for a price cut later on to replay it.

You can likely watch all of the cinematics of the game on YouTube to figure out if it's "just a zombie game". The setting does include zombies.

They're Stalkers and Runners infected by the Cordyceps fungus. But while they aren't zombies, it's more or less just about a post apocalyptic world in a similar manner, like most of these concepts are. You know? George Romero. Capcom. Etc.

IGN comparison

xLy7QAq.jpg

q30zlD5.jpg

Wow I thought TLOU remastered looked amazing when I played it on PS4. Looks quite bad now vs the PS5 shot.
Yup

Last edited:
I think I would still prefer to get out the PS3 to play it. I have completed it on the PS4 too though. I don't think I need to buy it yet again.

Still patiently waiting for the sequel to hit $10. :)

In other words, another $70 to $100 of your money could be going towards a game that people probably bought twice already. That is assuming they got the PS3 version first. :)

Uh, but okay. 2022 seems to be the year of remake rumours, so...

In other words, another $70 to $100 of your money could be going towards a game that people probably bought twice already. That is assuming they got the PS3 version first. :)

Uh, but okay. 2022 seems to be the year of remake rumours, so...
or wait for a sale. usually ~3-6months after release.

btw any info whether the gameplay and controls are updated/changed?

IGN comparison

xLy7QAq.jpg

q30zlD5.jpg

Yup
Interesting. Since the cut scenes werent necessarilly real time, thus they had some pretty good lighting and lots of post processing, it is difficult to see how much improved the assets actually are in 5.
I was watching the comparison video and in some points I was thinking that the Remaster was the Remake. Some scenes popped out more in the older game due to the colors and slightly more stylized visuals.

But in the still images the difference is significantly more noticeable

Hahaha wtf whoever decided the price is complete mad man. I hope for a huge backlash from community and they correct price by at least 10 bucks. This is crazy

The original release happened 10 years ago so there's likely a whole generation of gamers now in their early 20's were too young to have played the game back then (An didn't get the PS4 remaster) so that's likely the target they're going for.

I know my 22yr old brother has never played it, he's been on Xbox until this generation (He's now on PS5) so he'll be getting it.

There's also the whole PC scene that are going to be playing it for the first time.

Interesting. Since the cut scenes werent necessarilly real time, thus they had some pretty good lighting and lots of post processing, it is difficult to see how much improved the assets actually are in 5.
I was watching the comparison video and in some points I was thinking that the Remaster was the Remake. Some scenes popped out more in the older game due to the colors and slightly more stylized visuals.

But in the still images the difference is significantly more noticeable
on ps3 cutscenes were prerendered, and even bigger diff will be during gameplay as its realy big difference between lou2 and lou1 so same will be here

Back