The Intel Execution in [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny that Intel thought they could skip UV and save a ton, but failed completely and now are the first in line to buy new ASML tools. I wonder if they will fail off the other end now. That would be a real kick in the pants to lose out twice for opposite reasons.

Intel CPUs Continue To Reclaim Lead Over AMD Ryzen In Japanese DIY Market (wccftech.com)
The latest Japanese DIY market report from BCNR shows that Intel CPUs have regained their lead over AMD Ryzen CPUs which had an outstanding three-year run as the x86 market leader.
Now, three years later, the dominating spree has come to an end but it was one brilliant run as AMD managed to outclass its rival quarter after quarter and reached sales figures, unlike any chip that came before. Now it looks like the throne of the Japanese DIY CPU market is back at Intel as the manufacturer continues to gain market share and has hit 74% market share in January 2022 compared to AMD's 25% market share.
Intel's Core i5 CPU sales are reaching the same highs as AMD Ryzen 5 CPUs from early 2020 with a market share of 35.7% while Core i7 CPUs come at 2nd place with a market share of 25%. The AMD Ryzen 5 sales have fallen down to 12.6% while Core i3 and Core i9 CPU sales currently stand at 10.4 and 7.5 percent, respectively.

So looking at the whole picture, Intel is in the same position where AMD was a few quarters back. Now the tides have turned and its Ryzen CPUs that are affected by the supply shortages while the blue team enjoys gaining its ground back in the Japanese DIY segment.

There's still such a large gap in AMD support in both the commodity and enterprise spaces. For two years now I've asked both our HPe and Dell server vendors to show me their Epyc-series server offerings in the 1u and 2u form factors, and both companies still end up castrating the AMD options.

Example: Most of the hyperconverged boxes we purchase are at least 32 physical CPU cores at or around 2.6GHz, at least 1.5TB of ram, 24 SFF 12gbps SAS flash drives in the face connected to a proper dual port SAS controller card, along with a pair of twin-40Gbps network cards, usually a riser with a pair of either read-only SD or cheap NVMe drives for boot, and some sort of out of band management. My hope was to get a single-socket Epyc Rome CPU in there with 32 cores and the requisite clock speed, yet neither Dell or HPe could offer me one combined with the rest of the things I'm looking for. Dell doesn't even support the necessary power envelope to provide anything but the super-low-wattage 32-core CPU -- even in the 2U form factor. All this despite the fact I can cram a pair of 250W Intel procs into the same exact frame.

I don't even have to start the bitching about how crap the AMD Ryzen offerings are in laptops either. I can probably count on one hand how many actually "good" laptops are available with Ryzen at their core -- modern, high quality screens with thin bezels and high refresh rates, high quality chassis that aren't pure plastic, thin profile with good cooling, high capacity batteries, good touchpads, etc. If you're buying an AMD laptop, you're getting some garbage from the Dell Inspiron E1505 era it seems like. Which was fine, you know, for 15 years ago. It's a disgrace today.

Last edited:
Intel released new roadmaps for their Client CPUs/dGPUs, server CPUs/dGPUs and process nodes at their investor day.
upload_2022-2-23_19-4-25.png
upload_2022-2-23_19-4-41.png
gjgND5x.png

upload_2022-2-23_19-5-14.png
upload_2022-2-23_19-7-2.png

Slides can be found here

Intel sees the ever-growing and importance of the PC market, as shown in the slides. They didnt want AMD take that away from them lol.

There's still such a large gap in AMD support in both the commodity and enterprise spaces. For two years now I've asked both our HPe and Dell server vendors to show me their Epyc-series server offerings in the 1u and 2u form factors, and both companies still end up castrating the AMD options.

Example: Most of the hyperconverged boxes we purchase are at least 32 physical CPU cores at or around 2.6GHz, at least 1.5TB of ram, 24 SFF 12gbps SAS flash drives in the face connected to a proper dual port SAS controller card, along with a pair of twin-40Gbps network cards, usually a riser with a pair of either read-only SD or cheap NVMe drives for boot, and some sort of out of band management. My hope was to get a single-socket Epyc Rome CPU in there with 32 cores and the requisite clock speed, yet neither Dell or HPe could offer me one combined with the rest of the things I'm looking for. Dell doesn't even support the necessary power envelope to provide anything but the super-low-wattage 32-core CPU -- even in the 2U form factor. All this despite the fact I can cram a pair of 250W Intel procs into the same exact frame.

I don't even have to start the bitching about how crap the AMD Ryzen offerings are in laptops either. I can probably count on one hand how many actually "good" laptops are available with Ryzen at their core -- modern, high quality screens with thin bezels and high refresh rates, high quality chassis that aren't pure plastic, thin profile with good cooling, high capacity batteries, good touchpads, etc. If you're buying an AMD laptop, you're getting some garbage from the Dell Inspiron E1505 era it seems like. Which was fine, you know, for 15 years ago. It's a disgrace today.
I know this is old , but you couldn't build this yourself in HPE OCA? i have totally been able to config servers for HPE and Cisco meeting your requirements ( Cisco only in the last ~ 8 months and they dont use every AMD/intel CPU model) using Zen2/3, i cant speak for Dell. lead time for servers is another matter but its not like icelake is any better.

The last time I asked was around the October / November timeframe - so about seven or eight months ago. At least at that time, I couldn't get a full combination of 32 decent-speed CPUs (Intel 2.6GHz equiv) into the same 2u box with 24 SFF drives in the face. It seemed like the full-face drive cage option was the big blocker for whatever reason. At this time we only buy HPe and Dell servers (DX380 and XC740XD respectively, both are "Nutanix nodes") for our primary datacenter workhorses. Cisco doesn't play in the Nutanix space, which is our preferred hypervisor now, and so we haven't used any of their M-series stuff in a long while.

We aren't huge customers; we only go through about 6-7 million USD a year with both HPe and Dell combined -- so maybe a few dozen of those bigass 32c / 1.5TB / 96TB servers a year. Maybe this year AMD finally shows up in a useful way on the radar!

I find this somewhat amusing after Intel slammed the US Government for providing subsidies to help TSMC build a fab. down in Arizona. :D

In Politico last month, Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger took aim at Washington's decision to subsidize the $12 billion chip fabrication plant being built by rival Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. in Arizona.

That said it makes sense as Western governments are desperate to incentivize the building of semiconductor fab. capacity outside of China's sphere of influence in case they follow through with threats to invade Taiwan. It's a shame that it takes a potential threat of war for Western governments to invest in critical technological infrastructure within their countries.

Regards,
SB

That said it makes sense as Western governments are desperate to incentivize the building of semiconductor fab. capacity outside of China's sphere of influence in case they follow through with threats to invade Taiwan. It's a shame that it takes a potential threat of war for Western governments to invest in critical technological infrastructure within their countries.

I can't wait to see what half-arsed-cocked-up initiative the UK government comes up with.

June 7, 2022
Jensen Huang, CEO of Nvidia, has announced the company will be making a complete transition to Intel processors(opens in new tab) for its upcoming DGX H100 unit and supercomputer projects in the future. Nvidia will be using Intel's forthcoming Rapids Sapphire Xeon processor lineup as a total replacement for AMD's Zen 3 EPYC CPU, which Nvidia has been using extensively for years.

Huang says the primary reason for switching CPU brands was the exceptional single-threaded performance Sapphire Rapids offers over the competition. It makes a lot of sense, considering Sapphire Rapids Xeon Scalable processors are already shipping to end customers. AMD, meanwhile, has to do with its current Zen 3 and Zen 3 V-Cache EPYC processors. The company has still not announced a release date for its upcoming Genoa Zen 4-based server processors, which will be the direct countermeasure to Sapphire Rapids.

Well, if that somehow impacts Nvidia, they would have known before Intel gave the info out to the public for sure lol. Either that doesn't impact Nvidia or delay doesn't impact Nvidia's launching window of their system.
also could very well be that they knew, but wouldn't be allowed to hint it before Intel makes it official

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back