Summer Game Fest 2022

A list of some of the teams that will have content shown at the event has been released.

Summer Games Fest 2022 Developers And Publishers Revealed - Game Informer
  • Activision
  • Atlus
  • Bandai Namco
  • Bloober Team
  • Capcom
  • Coffee Stain
  • Deep Silver
  • Devolver Digital
  • Digital Extremes
  • Dotemu
  • EA
  • Epic Games
  • Focus Entertainment
  • Frost Giant Studios
  • Humble Games
  • Level Infinite
  • Mediatonic
  • miHoYo
  • Netflix
  • PlayStation
  • Raw Fury
  • Samsung Gaming Hub
  • Sega
  • Square Enix
  • Skybound Games
  • Steam
  • Studio MDHR
  • Tribeca Festival
  • Warner Bros. Games
  • Xbox

The usual suspects are on there (most of the big publishers although oddly UBIsoft isn't in the list), but there's some interesting ones like Bloober Team (will it be the rumored Silent Hill game? :p).

Regards,
SB

Interesting to listen to someone with many contacts among various developers talk about how developers (the gaming industry) still refer to the week around Summer Game Fest as E3 because that's how they are treating it. For most developers and publishers the effort expended for this is still similar (greater effort but lower cost) to E3 and serves the same purpose.

That is trying to get deals made, games funded, establish contacts, and all the other things that your everyday consumer doesn't know about that goes on behind the scenes of getting a game made and funded. Basically it's much more costly in terms of time and effort (especially for independent developers) to spread it around the year, mainly because it's difficult to coordinate these things and multiple meetings spread over the year results in far more time used than attempting to do it most of it at key points during the year.

So, without E3, it requires a lot more effort but it's still beneficial to the industry to attempt to coordinate things among multiple developers/publishers to do all of that stuff at this time of the year.

Fascinating stuff. So basically, there's less cost associated with creating a physical stand/space at E3, but significantly more time and effort spent attempting to independently organize and coordinate among various parties to create a similar industry event (that consumers don't see) for this time of the year. And Summer Games Fest is being used to provide a common timeframe for this to happen for all parties involved.

Also, while they are using Summer Games Fest as the rough date for all of this to happen, it has absolutely nothing to do with Geoff Keighley and he has no involvement with it.

So, it's sort of interesting that for many in the industry they still need what E3 provided, but E3 is no longer currently capable of providing it. So the industry has to spend significant amounts of their own time to do what E3 did for them.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Btw I despise Geoff Keighley.
Despise would be a strong word for me but I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care for him. Not sure what it is, he just rubs me the wrong way. It's his attitude I think.

So, it's sort of interesting that for many in the industry they still need what E3 provided, but E3 is no longer currently capable of providing it. So the industry has to spend significant amounts of their own time to do what E3 did for them.
The thing with all of these online shows is that they are mostly consumer facing. Not that this is a bad thing. But in the beginning, E3 wasn't a consumer facing show. A small indie developer could get a booth at E3, show off their game (or accessories, controllers and other game related stuff), and rub elbows with publishers, distributers, brokers and retailers and try to get their game published and distributed. On the flip side, you had publishers, brokers, distributers and retailers walking that show floor looking for products to pick up. This is the part that's missing. What we see in a digital show now is basically what G4 would put together in their coverage of E3. And that's fine in a lot of ways from a consumer standpoint. But if you are an industry nobody, with no contacts no exposure, how do you get into the show? At E3, if you could grab the attention of a publisher, distributer, retailer or the press, you could get exposure. It was an opportunity that could change the fate of your project. That's the part that is gone.

Despise would be a strong word for me but I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care for him. Not sure what it is, he just rubs me the wrong way. It's his attitude I think.

The thing with all of these online shows is that they are mostly consumer facing. Not that this is a bad thing. But in the beginning, E3 wasn't a consumer facing show. A small indie developer could get a booth at E3, show off their game (or accessories, controllers and other game related stuff), and rub elbows with publishers, distributers, brokers and retailers and try to get their game published and distributed. On the flip side, you had publishers, brokers, distributers and retailers walking that show floor looking for products to pick up. This is the part that's missing. What we see in a digital show now is basically what G4 would put together in their coverage of E3. And that's fine in a lot of ways from a consumer standpoint. But if you are an industry nobody, with no contacts no exposure, how do you get into the show? At E3, if you could grab the attention of a publisher, distributer, retailer or the press, you could get exposure. It was an opportunity that could change the fate of your project. That's the part that is gone.

Yup, that's why I thought it was a bit naive and sad at the same time that so many consumers expressed a view point that it's fine if E3 is gone as they thought (erroneously) that it served no purpose in modern times. Now, I can't really blame them for feeling that way since they didn't know and no media outlet really explained to them what E3 really was or how relatively important it was to many industry players (developers, publishers, retailers and suppliers).

Because of that, what consumers didn't realize was that E3 was always first and foremost an industry event meant for the industry. In a way, I think it's somewhat unfortunate that the media covered it so much that more effort was put into making a part of it increasingly consumer facing which masked/hid the actual purpose of the event.

That possibly also contributed to it staying in LA (expensive to host and expensive for developers WRT travel, lodgings, expenses, etc.) as LA is certainly a more glamourous and less seedy location compared to Las Vegas or other convention cities. Where most industry trade shows hold their events in Las Vegas or smaller cities and venues in order to lower costs, E3 was sort of stuck being in LA in order to give it more, I dunno, credibility with consumers.

While it certainly helped it to gain more consumer interest, it also paradoxically made it harder and more difficult for industry partners to justify having a booth which eventually led to some major industry partners forgoing the event which then lead to a downward spiral of interest from some key partners as well as the public as they noticed key partners choosing not to publicly participate at E3.

Regards,
SB

We need an American show where people can go geek about video games IN PERSON.

So, e3.

I'm sure all have seen it but Keighley said dont expect a lot of reveals at summer game fest. Wah Wah. He said it's not TGA, which arent that great for reveals to begin with!

Well we've had state of play, the MS thing, and Capcom has one the 13th. So hopefully it'll be all combined a little e3 replacement. I am not expecting too much tho.

We need an American show where people can go geek about video games IN PERSON.

So, e3.
Doesn't PAX cover that?

The problem with E3 is that it was organised by a greedy corporation, the Entertainment Software Association who were walking away with tens of millions of dollars in profit for that week. Costs were so out of control that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all walked away, then the biggest publishers.

Summer Game Fest is a summer calendar, where Geoff promotes the various shows that are affiliated with SGF. It's just a way to make various gaming shows more visible to gaming audiences. Last week's State of Play was one of such shows.

xfjwTQd.png

So it appears that Summer Game Fest is actually occurring across several days, besides the 9th.

Very interesting...
As DieH@rd said, it's always been a series of events. The first was back in 2020 and spanned four months (May to August). If you visit the main web site you can subscribe to an updating calendar of events - Apple, Google and Outlook calendars supported.

Doesn't PAX cover that?

The problem with E3 is that it was organised by a greedy corporation, the Entertainment Software Association who were walking away with tens of millions of dollars in profit for that week. Costs were so out of control that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all walked away, then the biggest publishers.
The ESA is a 501(c) non profit with operating expenses that basically match their income. They are acquiring millions in that week but acquisitions are not profit. About 30% of their income is spent on compensation, or wages and salaries. The rest goes to programs with the goal of "expanding, protecting, and advocating" for the industry.

Not sure they are "greedy". I don't like that they advocated for loot boxes, but they did that on behalf of their members.

And again, a consumer focused show like PAX is fun, but it's different from a trade show. I've gone to both types of shows. Consumer focused shows like PAX are fun, and you can make connections there, but an industry trade show is for business. I used to buy for a grocery store, and we'd set up a years worth of orders at food shows. It's a totally different experience.

The ESA is a 501(c) non profit with operating expenses that basically match their income. They are acquiring millions in that week but acquisitions are not profit. About 30% of their income is spent on compensation, or wages and salaries. The rest goes to programs with the goal of "expanding, protecting, and advocating" for the industry.

Interesting, I was under the impression that the ESA Foundation (a 501c non-profit) and the ESA were different. They are certainly presented as different organisations with different remits but the tax filings in the name of ESA do bear out revenue = costs.

Which makes their cost policies for exhibitors utterly mind-boggling. If your goal to promote the industry, why implement such a hostile charging policy for areas space which on a square/foot basis.

Interesting, I was under the impression that the ESA Foundation (a 501c non-profit) and the ESA were different. They are certainly presented as different organisations with different remits but the tax filings in the name of ESA do bear out revenue = costs.

Which makes their cost policies for exhibitors utterly mind-boggling. If your goal to promote the industry, why implement such a hostile charging policy for areas space which on a square/foot basis.
The ESA is listed here as a 501c, under the same classification that a chamber of commerce is. Which makes sense because that's sort of what they are. E3 is the largest revenue source for the ESA IIRC. Not sure if it's hostile, as they need money to operate. And I don't know if you have to be a member to have a booth, or just pay the fee and be in the industry.

Because salaries are part of "costs". LOL
How are they not? If you go to get your car fixed at a garage you don't just pay for the parts, you have to pay for the person to put it in, and the overhead of the garage (rent, electricity, insurance, taxes and fees). Those people who receive the salaries are doing work on behalf of the industry. Like advocating for loot boxes. Because the industry wants them.

The ESA is listed here as a 501c, under the same classification that a chamber of commerce is. Which makes sense because that's sort of what they are. E3 is the largest revenue source for the ESA IIRC. Not sure if it's hostile, as they need money to operate. And I don't know if you have to be a member to have a booth, or just pay the fee and be in the industry.

That's the document I linked to.

How are they not? If you go to get your car fixed at a garage you don't just pay for the parts, you have to pay for the person to put it in, and the overhead of the garage (rent, electricity, insurance, taxes and fees). Those people who receive the salaries are doing work on behalf of the industry. Like advocating for loot boxes. Because the industry wants them.

I think the point Johnny Awesome is making is that non-profit organisations can achieve zero profit from revenue (assuming no losses) by paying massive salaries to executives. This is a recognised issues and part of the tax reform measures that some are clamouring for. I'm not suggesting that this is the case here but non-profits can consume massive profits in ways that still show a zero on the balance sheet.

I think the point Johnny Awesome is making is that non-profit organisations can achieve zero profit from revenue (assuming no losses) by paying massive salaries to executives.
I get how this can look bad, but I can see it from both sides. People deserve to get paid for the work they do. What that compensation should be in proportion to the income of the organization is definitely a discussion to be had, though.

So Geoff said this event is for games that have already been announced, primarily.

Wow. So is that a hint we are wasting our time, getting hyped up for nothing special? :D

Back