XenForo 2 Problems and Feature Requests

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
Hello, love you heaps.

As you can see, things look a bit different due to the upgrade to XenForo 2. Rather than try and make it all look identical to the old XF1 install, we've taken a path of lesser resistance and embraced the stock-ish look of XF2 using a nice theme system, and minimally customised it so it's familiar in look and feel, but much easier for us to maintain, allowing us all to benefit from XF2s features.

But that means things might not work quite right. We've done a bunch of testing but might have missed something, so if anything is broken then report it in this thread and we'll get to it as quickly as we can.

Hope you don't all think it looks gross, please give it a chance to grow on you even if your initial reaction is one of shock and horror because something's moved, or looks different.

It also finally gave us a chance to use the logo we had commissioned back in 2012 or something. Better late than never.

Keeping XF2 "minimally-customised", are add-ons like this:

out of bounds?
Not at all, we had that installed on XF1 and it was handy, so I'll bring it back.

After you fixed Bludds reported issue, I haven't noticed anything else. So far so good. Just getting used to the standard font sizes used on all XF2 sites.

After you fixed Bludds reported issue, I haven't noticed anything else. So far so good. Just getting used to the standard font sizes used on all XF2 sites.
You can change the font size in the Preferences if you want.

You can change the font size in the Preferences if you want.

Yes, very helpful callout for everyone to know about.

I usually stick with the default for the first couple of days after an update for a little more exposure on possible layout issues.

Looks fine to me. Are there specific user facing benefits that are expected from the upgrade?
Honestly, not really, which is part of the reason I put it off for so long. The main benefits are behind the scenes for me (supported software receiving security patches, and also now on more modern underlying hardware and software).

Looks fine to me. Are there specific user facing benefits that are expected from the upgrade?

The list is long but nothing to call out over the more heavily customized XF1 setup. Support for media embedded should be better (built in verses a customized addon). There should also be support for standard unicode emojis.

Most things from a user perspective is subtle. From the backend perspective it's sizable improvements, but thats not user facing.

Perhaps in time we'll fine tune the smilies to use the more recent 3D style instead of the 1970's 2D ones.

The list is long but nothing to call out over the more heavily customized XF1 setup. Support for media embedded should be better (built in verses a customized addon). There should also be support for standard unicode emojis.

Most things from a user perspective is subtle. From the backend perspective it's sizable improvements, but thats not user facing.

Perhaps in time we'll fine tune the smilies to use the more recent 3D style instead of the 1970's 2D ones.
I performed the table and config upgrade to allow us to use emoji, but I haven't quite figured out how to blow away the old smilie set and get onto whatever's current yet.

Ah, I've worked out how to export the default smiley set from a stock XF2, so I'll import that during the next round of tweaks.

I assume you also did the mb4 table conversion script for full emoticon support?

am i misremembering or were we able to get to the actual post when we clicked on the last post by username before? now it goes to profile

1654177382927.png

The ability to hide or, like the old forum, collapse pinned threads would be nice!

It's gross because it's different. I feel the need for torches and pitchforks...

🔦 🍴(Windows 10 Emojis)

Okay, it can stay.

Edit : incidentally, just discovered the Preview option shows a preview but it's not at all obvious howe to exit the preview. The greyed-out Preview button activates as a toggle between Preview/Edit mode.

Back