Electric Vehicle Thread!

I’m going to page @pcchen as he will likely know the answer.

This might be the wrong way to go about it. But since we are referring to collisions we want to go with momentum calculations. P=mv. Since momentum of static object is 0 and fleck of paint is 40000kph*0.0000001kg. You can get the momentum. When the two collide and you assume mass does not change between the objects momentum should be conserved.
You’d have to work out the momentum transfer onto the human body and that would determine its final velocity. From there you can work out it’s acceleration from 0 to post collision velocity. And that should tell you the force exerted on it.
But this doesn’t take into account pressure. Which the fleck of paint should act like a bullet.

Yeah using momentum (or more accurately kinetic energy) is the right approach. Using F=ma one would have to consider how much "deceleration" could be caused by a collision, which can be pretty complicated. However, when considering its kinetic energy (1/2mv^2), if one object hits another and stopped completely it can be seen as almost the entire momentum energy being transferred to the other.
Of course, this does not account for pressure (e.g. you only need very little force to penetrate something using a needle). So it's possible that a peck of paint hitting something at 40,000 kph might cause some damage on the surface, but since its total kinetic energy is small, the damage is probably not going to be too deep (i.e. it probably won't go through your body like a bullet, because it'd lose most of its energy before then).
To estimate the mass of a peck of paint, we need to know the density of generic paint. From some products I found online it's actually quite similar to the density of water (~ 1 g/cm^3), give or take a bit when dried. If a "peck" is, let's say about 1mm^3 (about the size of a sugar crystal), it'd be around 1mg (0.001g). So the kinetic energy is about (11000m/s)^2 (40000kph) * 0.000001kg ~ 60J. To be honest it's not really that small so I'm not sure how much damage it might do (it is about the same kinetic energy of a baseball flying at 100kph).

How much is 0.01 x 100 according to you then?
According to windows calculator it's 1
upload_2022-4-12_13-20-59.png
which means 0.01 is 1% of a gram
alphawolf is claiming 1% of a gram and 100th of 1% of a gram are the same and 0.01 of a gram is the same as 1/10000th of a gram.

Last edited:
Wait yes, 0.01% is 1/100th of a percent and 1% is 0.01 so 0,01x0,01, gotcha.

now your doing it
0.01 cant be 1/100th of a percent and 1%
so which is it is it 1/100th of 1% or is it 1% ?
1=100% 0.01=1%

Last edited:
Tiny, affordable EVs are the rage in Europe and Japan -- and China as well I believe.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/05/want-a-small-affordable-ev-tough-luck-if-you-live-in-the-usa/

The range on the ID.1 is very competitive especially for that price.

But Americans won't go for those tiny cars, even if they were gas. These are city cars, easier to park. For long distances, Europeans can use the train network or LCCs for cheap flights.

I've been planning vacations and rental car prices are way up in Europe. But now more and more rental agencies are offering EVs and they're often among the cheapest option, because few people seem to want them. One reason is, the charging infrastructure isn't there and even if it was, you'd still have to spend hours waiting for chargers, waiting while charging.

I changed plans to visit the island of Corsica because two of the biggest agencies there are forcing EVs, typically the Zoe, on unsuspecting renters. One reason is the owner of the car agencies are investors in a charging network on the island but the network is mostly plans, not actual chargers at this point. So it's uncertain whether you can find a charger except in the biggest cities. On the mainland near Corsica, there are chargers listed but many of the Tesla destination chargers are in hotels, where apparently guests of the hotel are prioritized.

Not a good rollout for EVs, people are going to have bad associations with being forced to take out an EV on their holiday and spending hours looking for chargers.

T

I changed plans to visit the island of Corsica because two of the biggest agencies there are forcing EVs, typically the Zoe, on unsuspecting renters.

So you don't visit Corsica because certain rental agencies have EVs as the first choice? Nice logic!

So you don't visit Corsica because certain rental agencies have EVs as the first choice? Nice logic!

You can go read Google reviews.

They are pushing EVs on people who thought they were renting regular gas or diesel cars. The charging infrastructure isn't ready so people may have to spend hours looking and waiting for the EVs to charge.

My itinerary had some long stretches between cities and towns so range anxiety was a real thing. If they had EVs with reliable 450 km range, it wouldn't be a problem. But they're pushing Renault Zoes which have limited range.

You can go read Google reviews.

They are pushing EVs on people who thought they were renting regular gas or diesel cars. The charging infrastructure isn't ready so people may have to spend hours looking and waiting for the EVs to charge.

My itinerary had some long stretches between cities and towns so range anxiety was a real thing. If they had EVs with reliable 450 km range, it wouldn't be a problem. But they're pushing Renault Zoes which have limited range.

Perhaps you could tell them you won't accept a Zoe instead completely changing travel plans.

Also, I didn't think Corsica was be so big that 300km range would be inadequate.

Perhaps you could tell them you won't accept a Zoe instead completely changing travel plans.

Also, I didn't think Corsica was be so big that 300km range would be inadequate.

I reserved what is suppose to be a regular Gas car. But they said they could not guarantee I would get it when I showed up.

all the reviews show they’re not giving out gas cars.

not going to go all the way there and then any time I do say a 100 mile trip, I have to look for a charger near where I’m staying. Or else have to wait hours to charge it rather than you know, enjoy the vacation I would be paying for.

Kia and Hyundai are planning the EV4 and Ioniq 3, which would start at around $35k in 2023-24.

But it may not come to North America.

To wrap up the dedicated EV lineup, the Hyundai motor group is planning for smaller versions of the IONIQ 5 and the EV6 known as IONIQ 3 and EV4. These compact EGMP-based SUVs were known to be the size of Kia Seltos, but it’s now rumored to be as big as Niro and Kona derivative E-V counterparts with a length of around 4,500 mm or 177 inches.

Being developed primarily for the European market, it’s not certain whether they would be available in markets like North America and Korea. But if they do, they will be sold at the estimated starting price of $35,000. They will be equipped with the essentially same power electric system as the IONIQ 5 and EV6 big brothers, but are expected to be offered with the CATL sourced LFP batteries instead of the NMC batteries used in the larger EVs to reduce the price.

CATL touting new high density battery capable of fast charging, some time next year.

China’s Contemporary Amperex Technology Company Limited (or CATL for short), the world’s biggest EV battery manufacturer, has just announced a technology breakthrough that bumps up the energy density of the cells it produces. They call this new battery Qilin, the name of a creature straight out of the Chinese legend books, and it’s not only more energy dense, but it also chargers quicker and they say it’s also safer and longer lasting.

They have now managed to bring its energy density up to 255 Wh/kg. Charging times have dropped too, with CATL noting that with this new tech, charging from 10 to 80 percent will be possible in about 10 minutes, or as low as 5 minutes with a ‘hot start’ which we presume means preconditioning the battery beforehand.

wut! ioniq 6 will be cheaper than ioniq 5?

and i really dig the look that seems to be a mish-mash of lots of different cars blended together hahaha

Back