Sony's Cross-Generation Game Messaging [2021]

I dread to think what clicky-mtx-laden crap Sony are intending to release on mobile. Probably the same stuff everybody else is releasing and making millions off, with Sony IP skins.

Playstation bros moba, time limited play area (can't remember the genre name), gacha cards, matching grids, word game, idles

Could be good if they incorporated the quirks of each characters. Like... Nathan drake will be able to see the players locations on a map every 10s...

Ghost of Tsushima 2, Dad of War 2 and Horizon Forbiden West, seem to me, were all intended to be sequels of considerably lower development investment than the first title, released as soon after the first as possible, and recycling as much as they can, in order to dilute the huge development cost of the first.

We have to realise all these games had a very long development time, and both Tsushima and Dad of War seemed to have had their share of trouble.

Its less exciting for us consumers, but does seem sensible from business side. I think even the devs themselves enjoy taking a break from huge high-risk projects every once in a while, and get to spend a couple of years on something more predictable and manageable.

I would expect free to play service games to be cross gen tbh.

I'm more interested in big non service based titles being used to their fullest extent

This is logic. I am not surprised at all. From other job ad, the game is probably f2p and needs to run on old gen console and potatoe PC with integrated graphic card like a Valorant for example.
Nah, there's enough PS5s and capable PCs out there to target only current gen. We see it now where the vast majority of cross-gen sales are on the new platform. They're at the point where if they keep doing this it's going to start negatively affecting them. It was understandable as the pandemic as raging on and console supply was severely limited... now their goal should be to push as many people to PS5 as possible.

Nah, there's enough PS5s and capable PCs out there to target only current gen. We see it now where the vast majority of cross-gen sales are on the new platform.
I just want to say that as a point of historical reference, there were PS2 games released as late as 2013 and first party games as late as 2011. PS3 came out in 2006. There were also PS1 games released as late as 2004. PS2 was released in 2000. It isn't uncommon that games get released 2, 3 or 4 years after newer hardware comes out. The difference now is that you can release the same game with enhancements for current gen. That makes a lot of sense for many games.

I just want to say that as a point of historical reference, there were PS2 games released as late as 2013 and first party games as late as 2011. PS3 came out in 2006. There were also PS1 games released as late as 2004. PS2 was released in 2000. It isn't uncommon that games get released 2, 3 or 4 years after newer hardware comes out. The difference now is that you can release the same game with enhancements for current gen. That makes a lot of sense for many games.
Sure...sports titles and other smaller 3rd party stuff. I don't think it's typical that in the 3rd year of a new platform the platform holder themselves are still announcing that their upcoming marquee titles are still in development on last gen. Especially after claiming how much they "believed in generations" in the beginning. Seems hypocritical of them even though the pandemic clearly affected things. Though it is important to note nothing has been confirmed and it's all speculation at this point. The newest Horizon:FW DLC is PS5 only.. and this can just as easily be a case of Naughty Dog having always considered this game for cross-gen from the start and that the game has just taken longer than expected to develop.

Obviously games can be made to work on the old platforms.. and Sony knows better than we do how to go about their business.. but by this point there is a growing negative sentiment that things are being held back by the previous gen, and that the longer their developers have to consider and design around these platform limitations, the less they can focus on and improve the current gen iteration. At some point you've got to cut the rope and focus on catering specifically to the new audience on PS5. I think it's time.

No one should cry about a f2p multiplayer product trying to reach as many players as possible. To begin with they are definitely not targeting bleeding edge with this type of product from the beginning inherently.

Nah, there's enough PS5s and capable PCs out there to target only current gen. We see it now where the vast majority of cross-gen sales are on the new platform. They're at the point where if they keep doing this it's going to start negatively affecting them. It was understandable as the pandemic as raging on and console supply was severely limited... now their goal should be to push as many people to PS5 as possible.

And Valorant can work on PC of 2011 and integrated GPU intel HD 4000...

This a f2p multiplayer games, the goal is to reach the maximum people. And the title will be available on PC day one.

EDIT: And it is possible the title run on integrated GPU too and maybe less powerful than the PS4 GPU...

Last edited:
No one should cry about a f2p multiplayer product trying to reach as many players as possible. To begin with they are definitely not targeting bleeding edge with this type of product from the beginning inherently.

I don't believe I'm crying about anything. Simply stating the truth about what they've said in the past, and that people are starting to get tired of cross gen games.

And Valorant can work on PC of 2011 and integrated GPU intel HD 4000...

This a f2p multiplayer games, the goal is to reach the maximum people. And the title will be available on PC day one.

EDIT: And it is possible the title run on integrated GPU too and maybe less powerful than the PS4 GPU...

Except they've already stated that this is their most ambitious project ever... and that it is very story based...

Last edited:
Except they've already stated that this is their most ambitious project ever... and that it is very story based...

Being story based doesn't mean it will need a PS5... Again for GAAS title it is important to reach as much people as possible. This is not a single player game.

I won't be surprise if the game run on an intel HD 4000 integrated GPU.

Being story based doesn't mean it will need a PS5... Again for GAAS title it is important to reach as much people as possible. This is not a single player game.

Doesn't mean anything either way. MP games can be more technically demanding than SP games... if they're designed to be that way. Look at Star Citizen for example.. We don't know exactly what this game will be doing technically.

Not sure why such a fuss is being made about me stating that people are getting tired of cross gen games coming from Sony. That's not some false statement.. It's also important that they get people to start purchasing PS5s and allowing their developers to focus specifically on the new hardware.

Doesn't mean anything either way. MP games can be more technically demanding than SP games... if they're designed to be that way. Look at Star Citizen for example.. We don't know exactly what this game will be doing technically.

Not sure why such a fuss is being made about me stating that people are getting tired of cross gen games coming from Sony. That's not some false statement.. It's also important that they get people to start purchasing PS5s and allowing their developers to focus specifically on the new hardware.

PS5 is catching and will surpass rythm of PS4 sales. They are doing exactly what they need to do currently. They just need to shipped more PS5 and release first party single player and third party single and multiplayer game.

They will probably reach their forecast and it will be a new record for consoles sales for a first quarter. This will be better than any first quarter of calendar year of any home console counting the Wii or the Switch or the PS2 or PS4.

Best GAAS commercial success run on potato hardware. This is a fact. And Star Citizen aren't one of the most successful GAAS game. They didn't release a first final version...

EDIT:
And ND focus on PS5 with a single player game. Like GG too, Burning shores is PS5 only and Horizon 3 will be PS5 only but the GAAS Horizon game is probably cross gen and will release on potato PC with a very different artstyle.

EDIT: With Burning shores being the DLC of a cross gen games to be only PS5 means single player game has done the jump and PS5 will be the focus. But GAAS will continue to be cross gen and maybe running on PC less powerful than a PS4...

Last edited:

Lol
Halo Infinite would be envious for such a buy. People have torn its graphics up and down and was absolutely designed as f2p from the start.

Lol
Halo Infinite would be envious for such a buy. People have torn its graphics up and down and was absolutely designed as f2p from the start.

And Valorant or Fortnite are successful. It doesn't mean the PS5 version will look like shit... Horizon forbidden West is a cross gen game and it looks good.

And Valorant or Fortnite are successful. It doesn't mean the PS5 version will look like shit... Horizon forbidden West is a cross gen game and it looks good.
I agree. Lol. I’m thinking if Halo Infinite was a person that’s how it would feel. The engine is quite good (we can see this in forge), the art not so much.

Sure...sports titles and other smaller 3rd party stuff. I don't think it's typical that in the 3rd year of a new platform the platform holder themselves are still announcing that their upcoming marquee titles are still in development on last gen. Especially after claiming how much they "believed in generations" in the beginning.
We are just touching barely into the third year, though. And technological advancements have slowed to the point that most games can be scaled back to fit the previous generations specs.

Also, of course Sony is going to lie to you with things like "We believe in generations". They don't love you. They just love your money. Just like any other company.
fortnite is now an example of cross gen done right.
Fortnite is surprisingly an example of a lot of things done right.

Are you sure TLOU MP will be F2P?

Back