Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2022] [XBSX, PS5]

Cool. In the comments he mentions using a wifi power brick for the power draw info.

Edit: Also, he says 170W for the XSX (I guess versus the ~80W max I saw in the video).

Last edited:
Surprised at how good Cyberpunk 2077 looks on the XBS-S (LOD transitions are a bit rough, but still looks pretty good), especially with that power consumption.

Regards,
SB

Can we distinguish between real and rendered versions of the actors by the power draw?

The PS5 is generally +25W over the XSX, though the average margin seems to tighten to roughly 10-15W when more stuff is happening. XSX seems to max out at 200W to the XSS's 80W, and generally stays in the +100-120W range under load. That seems like a fair difference for slightly higher clocks, more RAM, and 3x the GPU.

It'd be useful to know ambient temp and any extra console storage.

First full comparison is up.

Interestingly some parts are consuming a bit less power on PS5. A few examples:
0:16 XSX 107w PS5 105W.
2:57 XSX 192W PS5 186W.
4:43 XSX 189W PS5 175W
4:50 XSX 189W PS5 185W

Max power consumption is actually very close between both at 6:58 XSX 219W vs PS5 227W.

Interestingly some parts are consuming a bit less power on PS5. A few examples:
0:16 XSX 107w PS5 105W.
2:57 XSX 192W PS5 186W.
4:43 XSX 189W PS5 175W
4:50 XSX 189W PS5 185W

Max power consumption is actually very close between both at 6:58 XSX 219W vs PS5 227W.

I wish they would have included a FPS benchmark along side the wattage consumption.

Interestingly some parts are consuming a bit less power on PS5.
Yup, but who knows if that’s the game or random OS or networking stuff. (Let’s add network traffic to see if it correlates to the anomalies. >:) ) The low frequency of the power data plus console variance and slightly out of sync scene timing (is the PS5 a frame or two ahead?) means I’m just looking for general clues, though a graph would be cool.

I wish they would have included a FPS benchmark along side the wattage consumption.
Just play DF’s video side by side. ;)

Is there a DF video illustrating a full and complete loop of the demo with frame counter? The first video only covered a few sections/details on performance (second one by Alex, mostly SSD performance and imagery quality) nothing suitable for this purpose. Maybe I will have to dig into VG Tech's videos for such a comparison.

Yup, but who knows if that’s the game or random OS or networking stuff. (Let’s add network traffic to see if it correlates to the anomalies. >:) ) The low frequency of the power data plus console variance and slightly out of sync scene timing (is the PS5 a frame or two ahead?) means I’m just looking for general clues, though a graph would be cool.

I think it could be caused by downclock of APU (CPU or GPU, don't remember) whenever possible when it's not impacting performance. Cerny talked about this.

Can we distinguish between real and rendered versions of the actors by the power draw?

The PS5 is generally +25W over the XSX, though the average margin seems to tighten to roughly 10-15W when more stuff is happening. XSX seems to max out at 200W to the XSS's 80W, and generally stays in the +100-120W range under load. That seems like a fair difference for slightly higher clocks, more RAM, and 3x the GPU.

It'd be useful to know ambient temp and any extra console storage.

Seems so. Power draws kicks up at 1:10 or one second before the rendered Reeves appears, steps down at 1:28 after the real Reeves appears in the mirror and revs right back up at 1:36 when the rendered Reeves reappears during the bullet time scene.

I moved the post into this thread, a little better fit. I didn't find any mid-gen upgrade thread that had recent activity.
Thanks , wasn't sure where to put it

Now the question is , what changes will the 7000 series have vs the 6000 series . Or if this is just a place holder of the type of chip it will have and we don't know if they have 7000 or 8000 or some custom

Now the question is , what changes will the 7000 series have vs the 6000 series . Or if this is just a place holder of the type of chip it will have and we don't know if they have 7000 or 8000 or some custom

This kind of seems like TCL doesn't know anything definitive and just using it as a placeholder for consumer market products.

It says that "they predict".. so.. sure.

Given the ongoing issue with fabrication and that previous generation mid-generation bumps were predicated on improved processes, I am not optimistic on bumps appeared next year or the year after. Regardless of what Microsoft and Sony might have originally planned, or what AMD had in their roadmap.

Remember that when PS4/XBO launched, their 28nm APU processes was already 3-4 years old, whereas the 7nm process used in PS5/XBS was cutting edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
It says that "they predict".. so.. sure.

Given the ongoing issue with fabrication and that previous generation mid-generation bumps were predicated on improved processes, I am not optimistic on bumps appeared next year or the year after. Regardless of what Microsoft and Sony might have originally planned, or what AMD had in their roadmap.

Remember that when PS4/XBO launched, their 28nm APU processes was already 3-4 years old, whereas the 7nm process used in PS5/XBS was cutting edge.

The xbox series and the playstation 5 launched Nov 2020 correct ? Those were made on TSMC 7nm correct ?

The apple M1 released on Nov 10th 2020 and that was created on TSMC 5nm

Like I've said before RDNA 2 ray tracing performance is so bad that I believe both sony and ms will use new gpu designs perhaps rdna 3 for the refreshes.

The xbox series and the playstation 5 launched Nov 2020 correct ? Those were made on TSMC 7nm correct ? The apple M1 released on Nov 10th 2020 and that was created on TSMC 5nm
And the only company who can afford that process, which is produced on fabs the Apple themselves funded the development of, is Apple. Apple can afford this because they charge premium for their devices, and these chips are produced in massively high volumes. TSMC are cranking out more 5nm chips per month for Apple than 7nm chips combined for consoles.

Utterly different economics.

Utterly different economics.

Yes, and things should have adjusted somewhat by 2024. But that won't be enough. I don't see a "process shrink only" making a mid-gen upgrade possible like in 2016/2017. In order to have large enough performance gains for a mid-gen update, it will have to lean on architectural improvements.

Back