Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

Wow nice! Dreams is probably the most underrated engine
It's mind-boggling good at times.

The real question, is why aren't more game built build on this technology? I assume there is a very good reason.

It's mind-boggling good at times.

The real question, is why aren't more game built build on this technology? I assume there is a very good reason.
It's complex to use (non traditionnal way to design games) and very time consuming to use.

I presume DSoup means the underlying engine concepts rather than in Dreams itself. It took MM at least three clean-slate iterations to produce the current engine. The amount of understanding needed to make this work is beyond what everyone else knows. Eventually through devcons it may make its way into the wider understanding, but it's also isolated from all the other tools and toolchains. Why do it the Dreams way when UE5 offers digital scans that plop right into realistic lighting and truckloads of assets including mocap you can plug straight in?

I also wonder if the physics insanity of Dreams is a limitation of its way of doing things or not (really weird, bad choices by MM). AFAICS all geometry is modelled as clouds of spheres, with no such thing as a hard right-angled edge, unlike your classical Sphere, Capsule and Box primitives of ordinary physics engines. The engine might be quite constrained in some ways, which you'd expect - strengths in some areas will come at the cost of weaknesses in others.

It's astonishing what can be achieved by a programming language that essentially revolves around clicking buttons.
It all means I've progressed from "I can't create that because I'm not a good enough programmer", to "I can't create that because I'm not a good enough artist".

Itā€™s nuts how level creators havenā€™t yet designed a particular geometry that bottlenecks the system down to a halt. Itā€™s really impressive that they can just about build whatever they want in the SDF space and still run extremely fast

Itā€™s nuts how level creators havenā€™t yet designed a particular geometry that bottlenecks the system down to a halt. Itā€™s really impressive that they can just about build whatever they want in the SDF space and still run extremely fast

The thermometer probably helps with that.

There's a thermometer that shows level complexity and I think it hard caps aspects like logic complexity and geometry complexity. As you start adding content, the thermo fills up. Possible this mossy cave has filled it which is why it's small? Or maybe it can be duplicated a trillion times. I haven't sussed how the SDF representation scales.

There's a thermometer that shows level complexity and I think it hard caps aspects like logic complexity and geometry complexity. As you start adding content, the thermo fills up. Possible this mossy cave has filled it which is why it's small? Or maybe it can be duplicated a trillion times. I haven't sussed how the SDF representation scales.
such a simple and obvious thing, a curious thing that AAA levels, at times things will go over budget a lot. I wonder if a handy visual tool like this would make things easier.

Back