Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Did they ever fix the save system in this?
I lost half an hour of progress because the game's checkpoint system is poorly implemented.
Haven't returned to it since.

I went back to 'clean up' the map a bit and I was a bit disappointed. Having finished the campaign there was no change in dialogue between any of the NPC's. It's like they just followed the one script they had written for them. All the allies and enemies were just saying the same things and all these big events that took place, no one was even mildly aware of.

Even little touches were missing. Learning the pilot's name was a bit of an event in the ending and a nice finishing off the main storyline. But even something as minor as updating the subtitle to reflect his name vs "echo 216" wasn't considered.

These are small things but when you're trying to make an open world game, they really take you out of the immersion. Also when I cleaned up the map there was no impact or change to the npc still. Neither discount Cortana or any of the allies/enemies considered it an accomplished or mused how it'd change the conflict going forward.

Makes it hard to give credit to the work done here.

Last edited:
Indeed. The game made me feel as if The development teams were separated into different silos.

Campaign silo. Open world pve silo. PVP silo.

The campaign was still a good experience overall, when I started to simply ignore the open world stuff and just going from mission to mission.

Still not in a great place on PC, specifically during open-world gameplay, which is made worse when driving fast paced vehicles. Constant frametime hitching and judder.

They need to:

-Fix the frametimes and stutters during gameplay
-Fix the half/quarter rate facial animations during cutscenes
-Fix the framerate limiters.. they are wonky and still don't work properly
-Fix the Vsync issues
-Give the option to disable VRS in the PC version.. hate the blur which happens as you're moving quick or sprinting. Makes the game look sub resolution at most times, and it's noticeable when it resolves.
-Tons of little bugs here and there (FPS drops when going into inventory or maps and returning to gameplay at times)
-Polish certain UI elements

I don't understand how the tech team isn't constantly working on these things and improving them consistently apart from the content side. It seems like the only thing 343i cares about at this point is Multiplayer and content to try to convince people to come back and play the game who have already moved on. Why do we need to wait for big seasonal updates to get fixes to things that have nothing to do with that aspect of it?

I love the game.. but man they've botched just about every aspect of it.. It's been half a year.. and they fixed some camera stutter issues... 343i... please..

Still not in a great place on PC, specifically during open-world gameplay, which is made worse when driving fast paced vehicles. Constant frametime hitching and judder.

They need to:

-Fix the frametimes and stutters during gameplay
-Fix the half/quarter rate facial animations during cutscenes
-Fix the framerate limiters.. they are wonky and still don't work properly
-Fix the Vsync issues
-Give the option to disable VRS in the PC version.. hate the blur which happens as you're moving quick or sprinting. Makes the game look sub resolution at most times, and it's noticeable when it resolves.
-Tons of little bugs here and there (FPS drops when going into inventory or maps and returning to gameplay at times)
-Polish certain UI elements

I don't understand how the tech team isn't constantly working on these things and improving them consistently apart from the content side. It seems like the only thing 343i cares about at this point is Multiplayer and content to try to convince people to come back and play the game who have already moved on. Why do we need to wait for big seasonal updates to get fixes to things that have nothing to do with that aspect of it?

I love the game.. but man they've botched just about every aspect of it.. It's been half a year.. and they fixed some camera stutter issues... 343i... please..

At this point, after seeing the crap they pulled with the Halo TV series, I have little faith that 343i will be able to right the ship. Halo: Infinite gave me some hope, but after the TV series which seems to be basically what upper management at 343i think Halo is and shows how willing they are to just shit all over the franchise in an attempt to change it into something that isn't Halo.

I can totally see how some of the engineers at 343i might be just half-assing it in the face of management like that. It has got to be demoralizing as hell for the developers making the game to see that.

If the Activison-Blizzard acquisition goes through, I'd almost rather they give the franchise to one of the COD developers.

Regards,
SB

OK, enough with my negativity WRT the TV show. Here's something actually good from a group paying proper homage to Halo.

And just as cool, here's Martin O'Donnell with another person doing a vocal analysis and commentary on it.

Regards,
SB

OK, enough with my negativity WRT the TV show. Here's something actually good from a group paying proper homage to Halo.
Kudos for trying to stick with. I got to episode to episode 3 then left it behind. A real shame.

So how are they gonna fit 4 full sized Spartans through the door in some of these corridors for the "soon" to come campaign co-op?

Kudos for trying to stick with. I got to episode to episode 3 then left it behind. A real shame.

I don't have any real hope that season 2 will manage to take the show in a good direction, but it will have a new showrunner (basically the creative director who hires and fires the scriptwriters and sets the creative direction of a show) so there is the potential for meaningful change WRT the direction of the show. But I'm doubtful, especially after seeing how Paramount+ has treated Star Trek.

I really wish either Amazon, Netflix, HBO, or any other production company with a good track record WRT Sci-Fi had been given the contract. /sigh... And to think back in 2013 I was excited when Steven Spielberg announced he was working behind the scenes to make the TV show become a reality. And then we got this steaming pile of poo.

Regards,
SB

they probably will change it by removing the helmet altogether ROFL.

would be pleasantly surprised if they went to bungie's HALO and Destiny style of conveying emotions, etc even while wearing full-on head gear.

Halo: Infinite all mission speed run at SGDQ recently. Watched this live and there's some pretty amazing stuff there. For example, I didn't know you could fly the Pelican. :)

But what I found most amazing was how many 343i developers watched the speed run and donated to Doctors Without Borders (Médecins Sans Frontières) during the speed run and expressing how much they enjoyed it or how surreal it was seeing something they worked on being speed run live. :) I've never seen anything like that before during any of these charity events. Even the people working the event had never seen anything like it. Pretty cool.

Interestingly, one of the developers that donated was part of the Halo speed running community before he got hired at 343i (his first job).

Regards,
SB

The freedom to skip things does indeed really good in infinite when I played it. As that's my standard play behavior in most games, to just run from checkpoints to checkpoints.

Other games, for example destiny 2,will add annoying barriers to stop you from skipping things. Destiny 1 was almost as good as infinite IIRC.

Edit: and then. Good thing about halo infinite is that the developers didn't patch those things out.

In Destiny 2, bungie will take no time to patch stuff out really fast when it improves players freedom (and benefits)

Last edited:
The freedom to skip things does indeed really good in infinite when I played it. As that's my standard play behavior in most games, to just run from checkpoints to checkpoints.

Other games, for example destiny 2,will add annoying barriers to stop you from skipping things. Destiny 1 was almost as good as infinite IIRC.

Edit: and then. Good thing about halo infinite is that the developers didn't patch those things out.

In Destiny 2, bungie will take no time to patch stuff out really fast when it improves players freedom (and benefits)
yuh, it's nice to see that developers are not forced to pad playing time just for the sake of it. Let players hose through content if that's what they want to do, don't get in the way. I hate the idea of content padding, looking at Dragon Age 2. Random unnecessary battles everywhere that aren't fun and slow the game down from hitting the ending. I never have an issue with good encounters, but sometimes you can just feel they through something there just for the sake of padding play time.

yuh, it's nice to see that developers are not forced to pad playing time just for the sake of it. Let players hose through content if that's what they want to do, don't get in the way. I hate the idea of content padding, looking at Dragon Age 2. Random unnecessary battles everywhere that aren't fun and slow the game down from hitting the ending. I never have an issue with good encounters, but sometimes you can just feel they through something there just for the sake of padding play time.

That makes me remember, why I really like playing old games on an emulator : the cheats to disable random encounter, and various multipliers (exp, money, etc). So I can skip the padding.

Back