Xbox Series... M?

If I were MS I'd just work on making a Switch-like unit that was entirely xCloud based. Maybe team up with a major cellphone carrier to offer an xCloud GamePass service handheld. That's the visionary market disrupting paradigm shifting thing to do IMO.

That way you can deliver 4k gaming onto an OLED handheld with Xbox Series X cloud blades.

No one else can touch this. Market dominance in 5 years after release, which would probably be two years from now.

With a docking station you can play XSX games on your TV without even needing Xbox Series X hardware.

If I were MS I'd just work on making a Switch-like unit that was entirely xCloud based. Maybe team up with a major cellphone carrier to offer an xCloud GamePass service handheld. That's the visionary market disrupting paradigm shifting thing to do IMO.

That way you can deliver 4k gaming onto an OLED handheld with Xbox Series X cloud blades.

No one else can touch this. Market dominance in 5 years after release, which would probably be two years from now.

With a docking station you can play XSX games on your TV without even needing Xbox Series X hardware.

What is the real difference between that and a controller for your phone ? That to me seems like a redundant device.
YW0tbGluay5qcGc

What is the real difference between that and a controller for your phone ? That to me seems like a redundant device.
If they were to create a phone with dedicated physical controls so you don't have to carry around some goofy extra device....

If they were to create a phone with dedicated physical controls so you don't have to carry around some goofy extra device....
I also wonder how much stress these things put on the handset

If you are somebody who - on occasion - really wrestles with their controller, will you end up with a phone with a crease?

Last edited by a moderator:

So you want a phone that always has an xbox controller built into it as your main phone? Or are you saying you want to have your main cell phone and then have a second phone with physical controls ?

I am not sure what your going for here. I would not want my phone to have an xbox controller always built into it. That is the opposite of what modern phones are.

So you want a phone that always has an xbox controller built into it as your main phone? Or are you saying you want to have your main cell phone and then have a second phone with physical controls ?

I am not sure what your going for here. I would not want my phone to have an xbox controller always built into it. That is the opposite of what modern phones are.
I was thinking something like the PSP Go or Xperia Play. Maybe a bit chunky, but a slider with a low profile controller.

I was thinking something like the PSP Go or Xperia Play. Maybe a bit chunky, but a slider with a low profile controller.
but it would be your main phone ?

I used to like sliders , love a physical keyboard and loved my old windows phones. I just don't see something like that being popular

but it would be your main phone ?

I used to like sliders , love a physical keyboard and loved my old windows phones. I just don't see something like that being popular
It could be my main phone. Depends on how it performs, the OS it runs, and how it's physical design is. Personally, I don't know if I could ever own a phone with RGB and "gamer" design, so as long as it doesn't fall into that then yeah, I could use it as my main phone.

It could be my main phone. Depends on how it performs, the OS it runs, and how it's physical design is. Personally, I don't know if I could ever own a phone with RGB and "gamer" design, so as long as it doesn't fall into that then yeah, I could use it as my main phone.

To me cell phone battery life is to short. To add dedicated gaming even if its through streaming would render the phone unfit for its primary usage. I myself and plenty of switch owners out there(100m now) seem to perfer having a device that has its own battery

To me cell phone battery life is to short. To add dedicated gaming even if its through streaming would render the phone unfit for its primary usage. I myself and plenty of switch owners out there(100m now) seem to perfer having a device that has its own battery
My phone gets 2+ days with normal use, more than a day with heavy use.

YW0tbGluay5qcGc

I have one of these! They are pretty cheap like 50-60 bucks. A couple companies make versions.

Anyways a few reason I dont love mine and havent really used it. It tends to peel up the edges of screen protectors when you put it on phones. Thats really annoying as they will never look right again. And you cant easily use it on a phone with a case, which is a must IMO. For all these reasons its best paired with a dedicated phone IMO. I have used some cheap but decent locked subdsidized phones as the main phone for it. Paid about $50 for these phones on sale. However without an OLED display that I've become so spoiled with those phones dont really cut it IMO. Still dont love it, to me it seems too wide or unwieldy (guess I wont like Switch or Steamdeck, which is likely accurate on both counts). Also in heavy play like heated streetfighter 2 its not as stable as a dedicated unit, it twists and creaks. Oh and support is spotty altho I think all emulators support it, I believe many native android games like COD mobile dont by design (they consider it cheating vs touch controls). Although fortnight is one biggie that does support it. I had a little china retro handheld called the Anbernic RG51 and found it much more natural and comfortable. But of course that was in a completely different league as not android based or phone-like at all.

However I guess in THEORY if you paired the Razer Kishi with a SD888 or SD 9 Gen 1 phone, you'd have some of the most powerful portable emulation possible. Even more than the below thing which uses a overclocked/air cooled SD845 (basically equivalent to SD 855)

But anyways they basically made a "phone as handheld" called AYN Odin and it's pretty much my most wanted toy, For some reason I want one more than a steam deck. Probably will order one soon (heavily backlogged)

To me cell phone battery life is to short.

You must really hate the Switch and Steam Deck then. Yes I know what you're gonna say LOL.

Last edited:

Maybe Xbox Series m will have removable lithium battery bay that accept 6xAA batteries.

My phone gets 2+ days with normal use, more than a day with heavy use.

Wow what phone is that and what is your normal use and heavy use ? I had a note 9 and now a flip 3. I get about half a day with heavy usage. A full day with less usage. Of course if I was streaming 2-4 hours a day to game then My phone would die much faster.

I have one of these! They are pretty cheap like 50-60 bucks. A couple companies make versions.

Anyways a few reason I dont love mine and havent really used it. It tends to peel up the edges of screen protectors when you put it on phones. Thats really annoying as they will never look right again. And you cant easily use it on a phone with a case, which is a must IMO. For all these reasons its best paired with a dedicated phone IMO. I have used some cheap but decent locked subdsidized phones as the main phone for it. Paid about $50 for these phones on sale. However without an OLED display that I've become so spoiled with those phones dont really cut it IMO. Still dont love it, to me it seems too wide or unwieldy (guess I wont like Switch or Steamdeck, which is likely accurate on both counts). Also in heavy play like heated streetfighter 2 its not as stable as a dedicated unit, it twists and creaks. Oh and support is spotty altho I think all emulators support it, I believe many native android games like COD mobile dont by design (they consider it cheating vs touch controls). Although fortnight is one biggie that does support it. I had a little china retro handheld called the Anbernic RG51 and found it much more natural and comfortable. But of course that was in a completely different league as not android based or phone-like at all.

However I guess in THEORY if you paired the Razer Kishi with a SD888 or SD 9 Gen 1 phone, you'd have some of the most powerful portable emulation possible. Even more than the below thing which uses a overclocked/air cooled SD845 (basically equivalent to SD 855)

But anyways they basically made a "phone as handheld" called AYN Odin and it's pretty much my most wanted toy, For some reason I want one more than a steam deck. Probably will order one soon (heavily backlogged)

You must really hate the Switch and Steam Deck then. Yes I know what you're gonna say LOL.

That is odd , never had an experiance like that . You using glass screen protectors ?

Also yes what I would say to the switch and steam decks battery life is that yes the battery life is short but its a separate device that doesn't use up my phones battery

Maybe Xbox Series m will have removable lithium battery bay that accept 6xAA batteries.

I miss cell phones with removable batteries

Well

Xbox Series S
Cpu Zen 2 8/16 @ 3.4-3.6ghz
Gpu RDNA 2 - 20 CUs @ 1.565ghz = 4.01Tflops
Ram 10GB 8GB @ 224GB/s and 2GB @ 56GB/s

Steam Deck
Zen 2 4/8 2.4-3.5ghz
Gpu RDNA 2 - 2Cus 1.0-16ghz = up to 1.6tflops
Ram 16GB LPDDR5 @ 88GB/s

Both of these are 7nm.

Amd Ryzen 7 6800u
Cpu Zen 3+ 8/16 @ 2.7-4.7ghz
Gpu RDNA 2 -6 cu @ 2.2ghz

This is on 6nm

So there are a few questions that come to my mind. How compatible would a zen3+ drop in for a zen 2 be for the xbox series os to handle? We know its faster clock for clock than the zen 2 and we known its more power efficent. So can you simply drop in the zen 3+ and all the games work with no issue?

The second question would be on the gpu. Will the gpu care if your running 20CUs @1.565ghz or 10cus @3ghz or in some configuration of clocks and cu counts to give the same 4tflop performance ? If we look dropping from 7nm to 6nm allowed amd to not only add an additional 4 cus but also increase teh clock speeds by 600mhz. Would a drop to 5nm allow them to double to 12cus and clock them closer to 2.5ghz ? Or considering they tripled the cus from 7nm to 6nm could they triple again and hit 18cus at still keep clocks up ?

To be honest I don't think the issue is the APU . I think the issue would come down to ram speed. I would think they would need to add in some sort of infinity cache to the apu. 64-96mb to even hit bandwidth requirements unless there is ram out there for a mobile device that would let them hit 224GB/s

I think however they would have to figure out the battery issues. I love my steam deck but I know a lot of main stream consumers would hate to get 1-2 hours of battery on the newest games. But perhaps 5nm would allow MS to get better battery figures. Or maybe with 5nm MS will have access to zen 4 and that could be more efficient than even zen 3+ ?

7000mh lpddr5x and 256bit bus should get you to 224GB/s.

I think the bigger challenge is sourcing an affordable 1440p120hz vrr capable display that's under 9 inches.

7000mh lpddr5x and 256bit bus should get you to 224GB/s.

I think the bigger challenge is sourcing an affordable 1440p120hz vrr capable display that's under 9 inches.

I was thinking they could just do a 1080p screen and cap the resolution on the series s code to 1080 when running on the portable system. Should help with battery life also

The second question would be on the gpu. Will the gpu care if your running 20CUs @1.565ghz or 10cus @3ghz or in some configuration of clocks and cu counts to give the same 4tflop performance ? If we look dropping from 7nm to 6nm allowed amd to not only add an additional 4 cus but also increase teh clock speeds by 600mhz. Would a drop to 5nm allow them to double to 12cus and clock them closer to 2.5ghz ? Or considering they tripled the cus from 7nm to 6nm could they triple again and hit 18cus at still keep clocks up ?

CU and Clockspeed shouldn't matter due to the VM. Currently Series X blades on xCloud use some "defective" Series X chips with lower CU counts and just up the clock speed to reach 12TFs.

I was thinking they could just do a 1080p screen and cap the resolution on the series s code to 1080 when running on the portable system. Should help with battery life also

I think any portable system will stick to 720p for quitw some time. It saves a ton on battery life from the screen and graphics processing.

Currently Series X blades on xCloud use some "defective" Series X chips with lower CU counts and just up the clock speed to reach 12TFs.
Could you link the source for that please.

Could possibly see that being the case if it never already had disabled CU's for redundancy.

I recall seeing slides about how they can hit 12.155 TF with different CU counts or different speeds. I don't recall what the source was.

CU and Clockspeed shouldn't matter due to the VM. Currently Series X blades on xCloud use some "defective" Series X chips with lower CU counts and just up the clock speed to reach 12TFs.

I think any portable system will stick to 720p for quitw some time. It saves a ton on battery life from the screen and graphics processing.

I can't speak to the first although I guess they can use defect series x's to play backwards compatible or less demanding games ?

For the second in terms of the actual screen power usage I don't think there will be a huge difference between 720p and 1080p. In terms of hardware they could lock it to 720p sure but I think they would go with 1080p to better match the full hd offering as a next gen portable

Back