GPU Ray Tracing Performance Comparisons [2021-2022]

I don't get it, why isn't a DXR 1.1 inline shader that does programmable traversal enough?
AFAIR DXR 1.1 doesn’t allow to stop traversal upon intersecting some arbitrary node in the acceleration structure, to trigger the execution of some code. Today you can only do that when a triangle or a procedural primitive (i.e. a leaf node) is intersected.

AFAIR DXR 1.1 doesn’t allow to stop traversal upon intersecting some arbitrary node in the acceleration structure, to trigger the execution of some code. Today you can only do that when a triangle or a procedural primitive (i.e. a leaf node) is intersected.
Implicit in the more advanced algorithms is additional data, beyond the content that makes BVH work. This would be placed in a data structure, aligned with some or all of the BVH tree. An inline shader can make decisions about nodes based upon that data structure, by querying the data structure as it navigates the BVH.

Clearly that data structure needs to be kept up to date with the BVH.

Updated GPU Ray Tracing performance following the 3090Ti vs the 6950XT battle. The 3090Ti is faster than the 6950XT by these amounts @4K resolution.

2X times faster in DirectX Ray Tracing test
2X times faster in Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition @4K
83% faster in Cyberpunk 2077 @4K
18% faster in Resident Evil Village @4K

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...950-xt-6750-xt-6650-xt-review-ft-sapphire/22/

80% faster in Cyberpunk
86% faster in Dying Light 2
68% faster in Guardians of the Galaxy
66% faster in Doom Eternal
58% faster in Riftbreaker
54% faster in Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition
48% faster in Ghostwire
41% faster in F1 2021

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Rade...T-6650-XT-Test-Benchmark-Vergleich-1394222/2/

76% faster in Bright Memory Infinite
66% faster in Control
2X times faster in Cyberpunk 2077
64% faster in Fortnite
35% faster in Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition
95% faster in Minecraft RTX

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-6950-xt-review/4

62% faster in Control
90% faster in Cyberpunk
44% faster in Deathloop
45% faster in Doom Eternal
45% faster in Watch Dogs Legions
54% faster in Metro Exodus
20% faster in F1 2021
15% faster in Resident Evil Village

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-6950-xt-nitro-pure/33.html

78% faster in Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition
62% faster in Control
55% faster in Watch Dogs Legion
2X times faster in Cyberpunk 2077

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/amd_radeon_rx_6950_xt_review/12

The 6950XT is sometimes noticeably faster than 6900XT in Ray Tracing, suggesting the Infinity Cache is hindering RT performance, and the new upgraded memory in the 6950XT is helping a lot.

Ray tracing in HITMAN 3 on PC

Realtime ray tracing arrives for our PC players with our 3.110 patch and will bring higher quality reflections and shadows to the World of Assassination. Through HITMAN 3, all locations in the World of Assassination will benefit from this new feature.

HITMAN 3 supports ray traced reflections and shadows.

Patch 3.110 also adds support for Adaptive Supersampling, such as NVIDIA DLSS and AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution 1.0. It is highly recommended to enable DLSS or FSR when using ray tracing for a better and smoother experience.

Recommended Hardware
NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 or AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT

Intel Core i7 10700K or AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

16 GB RAM

Recommended settings:

Resolution: 1440p
Adaptive Supersampling Technique: NVIDIA DLSS or AMD FSR

Adaptive Supersampling Quality: Balanced

Reflection Quality: High

https://ioisupport.zendesk.com/hc/e...equirements-for-Ray-Tracing-and-Supersampling

It was long lost and now it is available in how many games? First was TES:Online last November and #2 is No Man's Sky. And few more.

Six in total, if I'm not mistaken. Says Nvidia.

Last edited:
Hitman 3 RT reflections performance hit is rather insane, 3-4x on a 3080. Makes you wonder how these would run on an Arc GPU which they were supposedly made for.
RT shadows when added to reflections seem to have a minor additional hit, ~10% or so. On their own though I've seen scenes with ~33% performance reduction or so.
Both aren't that transformative to the overall visuals I'd say to warrant such performance hit. Shadows are for sun source only and reflections are mostly adding transparent glass reflections, the rest seem to use the old mix of cubemaps, planar and SSR although there are some cases where these are promoted to raytraced - car bodies for example.

Hitman 3 - Ray Tracing & DLSS Benchmarks & Comparison Screenshots (dsogaming.com)
Now as we said in our previous article, we encountered a DLSS glitch/bug which resulted in really low performance. We were able to replicate this by enabling/disabling Ray Tracing (and without making any changes at all to DLSS). This issue appears randomly, so we don’t know what is really causing it. Still, and if you ever experience it, you can fix it by disabling and then re-enabling DLSS.
Given the huge performance hit that these RT reflections bring (and their visual issues), we really don’t see the point of enabling them. Yes, you are getting a bit more realistic reflections. However, most of you won’t be able to tell the difference (unless you compare them).

In our opinion, the best way to play Hitman 3 right now is by enabling DLSS Quality and running it in 4K/Ultra with RT Sun Shadows. Our RTX3080 was able to push constant 75fps with these settings, and we highly recommend playing it this way!

You're still looking at going from ~120 fps in native 4K to ~30 with DLSS/P and all RT set to high. That's a rather insane performance impact for what is offered visually from it.

Yup.

Not a good look that Nvidia brags about the DLSS performance improvement so much here. This is nothing to brag about. RT enabled games should run fine without DLSS and very smooth with it on, not running like a slideshow without DLSS and running barely acceptable with it on. This is ruining the reputition of both, their cards and Raytracing in general. These effects probably run at full resolution, unecessarily so.

This is a disaster IMO. Thankfully its an older game, so this might get overlooked.

Last edited:
Yup.
Not a good look that Nvidia brags about the DLSS performance improvement so much here. This is nothing to brag about.
It's difficult to know if DLSS/P is functioning normally since DLSS glitch/bug that results in very low performance is still evident in this game.

It's difficult to know if DLSS/P is functioning normally since DLSS glitch/bug that results in very low performance is still evident in this game.
What performance bug are people encountering here with DLSS exactly? I am not sure if I have "had that" yet?

Back