Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

Another gameplay idea that sounds cool & immersive on the face of it but ugh, imagine having to actually play a game where its expected that you frequently run out of gas then have to sit there reliant on one of the less than 50 players on the server:
  1. not abusing your situation to grief you
  2. having a fueler ship
  3. being willing to drop what they are doing & come help you out
  4. arriving within a reasonable time
  5. not be a mong who fucks up the thrilling 'fuel loading mini-game'
:runaway:

This company has also very vocal social platform warriors that defend all the BS they do. I wonder if some of the money is actually spend to pay professional social platform workers to keep and reiterate a positive spin.

Or should I really believe that someone like Jupiter is for real?

Seems most platforms have those. Could be in the case of Jupiter. Another case is Chris1515, i for one cant ever believe he’s doing all this for free.

Another gameplay idea that sounds cool & immersive on the face of it but ugh, imagine having to actually play a game where its expected that you frequently run out of gas then have to sit there reliant on one of the less than 50 players on the server:
  1. not abusing your situation to grief you
  2. having a fueler ship
  3. being willing to drop what they are doing & come help you out
  4. arriving within a reasonable time
  5. not be a mong who fucks up the thrilling 'fuel loading mini-game'
:runaway:

These are valid points. Also, fuel is currently very cheap in the game where I wonder which player should refuel smaller spaceships? As seen in the video he will probably be able to set high prices in remote regions.

It should not be forgotten that CIG can introduce NPCs who also respond to such distress calls as a last resort. It will also depend on the area. I think it's good that you run out of fuel. You're not supposed to be able to get everywhere with most spaceships. Deep explorers like the MISC Odyssey are even supposed to produce fuel for themselves in their own spaceships in the hangar.

I hope that CIG also includes the mechanics that the space stations can be supplied with fuel. After all they need fuel for the spaceships that land there.

Last edited:
Everytime, I see something new implemented in the alpha, I start to re-evaluate if I should buy into it.
The enthusiasm of the fanbase and the marketing team behind the game make it look simply fascinating.
But the truth is, right now, nothing works.
There is no synergy between systems, or finalized features.
Even if that were not the case, without at least a rudimentary network code - infrastructure that can deliver a scale akin to a massive online multiplayer game, it simply does not matter.
Whatever is there, right now, will change drastically, when and perhaps more importantly, if, the game can service thousands of players at once.

This thing is so bizarre...
I get drawn to it everytime I read or watch something about it.
But in order to convince myself to pull the trigger and buy into it, I find me shutting off my critical thinking processes one by one.
After ten years of development, they haven't implemented the one thing that will make this an mmo.
And it isn't just a matter of confidence that the game devs can, or cannot actually do it (although I sincerely doubt they can at this point)...
Even if by some miracle, they do it in the next few years, the bugs, the optimization, the changes this will inevitably bring to the table, will simply require a lot of development time added, for this thing to become stable, let alone actually work as intended.

So I guess, I have to put this down as a hard requirement, for me to consider jumping in.
Make it so I can have some sort of emergent gameplay, by having more than 50 players occupying this vast amount of space, and I might consider it.
Until then, this is an incredibly fleshed out concept, of a game that might at some point become reality.
Until they implement their unified server / networking solution this is not an actual game.

Imagine this being an early access title on Steam, and then imagine the reviews...

Everytime, I see something new implemented in the alpha, I start to re-evaluate if I should buy into it.
The enthusiasm of the fanbase and the marketing team behind the game make it look simply fascinating.
But the truth is, right now, nothing works.
There is no synergy between systems, or finalized features.
Even if that were not the case, without at least a rudimentary network code - infrastructure that can deliver a scale akin to a massive online multiplayer game, it simply does not matter.
Whatever is there, right now, will change drastically, when and perhaps more importantly, if, the game can service thousands of players at once.

This thing is so bizarre...
I get drawn to it everytime I read or watch something about it.
But in order to convince myself to pull the trigger and buy into it, I find me shutting off my critical thinking processes one by one.
After ten years of development, they haven't implemented the one thing that will make this an mmo.
And it isn't just a matter of confidence that the game devs can, or cannot actually do it (although I sincerely doubt they can at this point)...
Even if by some miracle, they do it in the next few years, the bugs, the optimization, the changes this will inevitably bring to the table, will simply require a lot of development time added, for this thing to become stable, let alone actually work as intended.

So I guess, I have to put this down as a hard requirement, for me to consider jumping in.
Make it so I can have some sort of emergent gameplay, by having more than 50 players occupying this vast amount of space, and I might consider it.
Until then, this is an incredibly fleshed out concept, of a game that might at some point become reality.
Until they implement their unified server / networking solution this is not an actual game.

Imagine this being an early access title on Steam, and then imagine the reviews...

Just wait for a free fly weekend and try it out. There is enough in the game right now that the $40 or so it costs to get into it is worth it. You'll get dozens of hours of enjoyment

Just wait for a free fly weekend and try it out. There is enough in the game right now that the $40 or so it costs to get into it is worth it. You'll get dozens of hours of enjoyment
I do that once a year, and just like in any beautiful theme park, a slight turn in the wrong direction, breaks the illusion in seconds...

AMDs new 5800X3D seems to be really fast in SC.

CIG developer
Something interesting that has come up recently is the apparantly drastic performance improvements people are seeing from the AMD 5800X3D. I understand that this CPU's main differentiating factor is it's very large L3 cache, which is 3x that of the 5800, so this appears to confirm what we've generally known internally in that cache size is a huge factor in performance. Our Core Engine Architect was today explaining to some interested devs that CPU's can typically execute up to 200 instructions (multiply/add/compare etc) in the time it takes to load one block of memory (64bytes) if it is not already available in the cache, and once the cache is full you start hitting these micro stalls all over the place. Most general game logic has to operate on a diverse set of data from many sources, and so naturally ends up touching a lot of memory, and intensive systems like physics and rendering also need to touch a lot of memory, and because the cache is shared bewteen all threads/cores you use you can sometimes end up quite limited by the cache, especially as we increasingly parallelize work more succesfully.

This means that touching less memory on secondary threads can indirectly improve the performance of the main thread, and this is a core strategy in every architectural and algorithmic decision we make in Gen12 and is likely one of the contributing factors to the increased performance in 3.17 (though the 5800X3D appears to show a larger cache still helps a lot!!).

Cheers,

Ali Brown
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...ct-of-vulcan-on-multicore-performance/5052412

Alpha 3.17 is released

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...18599-Alpha-317-Fueling-Fortunes-Things-To-Do

Nice.

Did the Quantum get first live tests in 3.16?

Quantum is in 3.17 for some ressources.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Based on the latest update, they're currently working on getting bed sheet physics working well, especially if you want to get out of bed quickly and throw it aside.

No, that is not a joke.
yeah thats what we wanted, not more better freelancer-esque gameplay but bed sheet physics

Noob question
When this if finally finished do you just buy it like a normal game, is it a monthly fee, is it free but with microtransactions (or macro transactions seeing some of the prices)
you buy it and it still has transactions or a monthly fee with transactions?

No, that is not a joke.
Sounds like they are remaking Battlecruiser 3000ad

Noob question
When this if finally finished do you just buy it like a normal game, is it a monthly fee, is it free but with microtransactions (or macro transactions seeing some of the prices)
you buy it and it still has transactions or a monthly fee with transactions?
Currently you buy it as normal game, I doubt it will change.

Squadron 42 and Star Citizen are bought seperately, if Star Citizen goes free to play the SQ42 will most likely still be pay to own title. (Like Fortnite and Save the World.)

Back