Musk bought Twitter, what hasn't gone wrong?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Just noticed we haven't really discussed this since it wasn't real until about 3 hours ago. I was going to post it in RPSC since it involves those things, but then thought this sort of involves everyone so mebbe General Discussion would be ok for it.

Gonna be weird. Trump has already said he won't come back even if he's unbanned, but I don't believe that for a second. I have no clue how it's gonna be with Musk having access to everyone on Twitters DMs and info.

I've never been a big Twitter user, I ain't got a dog in this fight and am just sort of hoping to watch it all implode. :)

Great questions!
Musk is not the average businessman or nerd, making him hard to predict.
Hope the best for Twitter and democracy. Maybe I will open an account!

Musk owning it is no better nor worse than the other private investors that did own it before. I already see way more people talking about using open, federated platforms, like good old RSS standard, motivated by the buyout. Thats a good cultural shift. Enough of this internet of big monopolies we allowed ourselves to live in.

Talk is cheap. We'll see what actually happens. There's been so many times that I've heard about folks migrating away from big mega-sites but have yet to see even a blip in reality.

Meh, Musk is an arsehat. I love the stuff that the people who work for him achieve, but the man himself not so much.

He will have a fine line to tread - something I don't think he's very good at. If he opens the flood gates on the "free speech" sewer too wide people will just leave.

Did he not get the missive that Truth Social(*) has made Twitter obsolete.
I dont see much changing at twitter TBH, an edit button perhaps and a few minor changes apart from that bugger all.
Ive been on twitter about 10 years, though only use it as a way to upload photos, the only guy I read is the Iron Shreik cause of his aphorisms, like today

(*)I just rechecked it out again, its as much of a joke as last time I looked, still hardly works, noone uses it. Trump himself has only posted the once on his own platform, Why, What a dofus, how does he expect ppl to use this if he doesnt himself. Fucking hell the only thing this guy can do is con dumb ppl out of their money, With actually running anything he is totally incompetent :LOL:
Yet he managed to con enough ppl to become president, A joke that never gets old :LOL:

Just noticed we haven't really discussed this since it wasn't real until about 3 hours ago. I was going to post it in RPSC since it involves those things, but then thought this sort of involves everyone so mebbe General Discussion would be ok for it.

Gonna be weird. Trump has already said he won't come back even if he's unbanned, but I don't believe that for a second. I have no clue how it's gonna be with Musk having access to everyone on Twitters DMs and info.

I've never been a big Twitter user, I ain't got a dog in this fight and am just sort of hoping to watch it all implode. :)

I only ever use Twitter to laugh at memes, maybe get some news about artists I follow, or laugh at people panicking and making a drama out of the day’s big event that will be forgotten tomorrow.

Musk probably spent $45B to unblock Trump in the name of ‘free speech’ and I don’t know that this is a great investment, but then again what do I know!

I only got Twitter after the war in Ukraine started and Twitter hits info unless you had an account. I post nothing and follow no one. The whole thing never appealed to me.
Yeah its like god I have enuf timewasting IT things (like this forum) why do I need to add another like twitter or facebook or instagram / tiktok etc to even further waste my time

I only got Twitter after the war in Ukraine started and Twitter hits info unless you had an account. I post nothing and follow no one. The whole thing never appealed to me.

That's the best way of using Twitter anyways. Never follow anyone and use the Lists Feature entirely for topics you want to keep track of.

Twitter used to be my favorite online place some 4-5 years ago. Used to be fun.
Now is far too argumentative, and it's mostly about people posting how others are wrong. And bully-ing & activism.

IMO, twitter can't get much worse than now hence Musk's takeover can only be a good thing. Since Musk seems to be positioned against shielding users from some content, which is a view I share 1000% with him, I'm even somewhat optimistic. Though don't expect big changes, feel that at least there won't be more changes for the worse

Last edited:
Musk apparently believes in free speech because he thinks the good stuff will crowd out the crap. This, from a man who called a guy a 'paedo' on twitter because said guy was an expert on cave rescues and had dismissed the idea that Musk's techy sub could have been any use. Of course, he won the defamation court case because he claimed he was just joking when accusing somebody of being a child molester - common joke in S.A., so he said.

Needless to say, I don't think this twitter thing will end well...

All Musk really needs to do is to combat bot accounts. If they lock registration down to just a few email domains that could be one way to combat issues. Do that with an even handed moderation policy and it should be much better than it is now.

Musk apparently believes in free speech because he thinks the good stuff will crowd out the crap. This, from a man who called a guy a 'paedo' on twitter because said guy was an expert on cave rescues and had dismissed the idea that Musk's techy sub could have been any use. Of course, he won the defamation court case because he claimed he was just joking when accusing somebody of being a child molester - common joke in S.A., so he said.

Right, let's ignore the topic and let's attack the person

Right, let's ignore the topic and let's attack the person

We're talking about Elon Musk buying twitter. I pointed out that he's got form for being a bullying billionaire troll so this is perhaps something to consider when he buys one of the biggest social media enterprises in the world. If you don't think that's relevant, then that's your right. Twitter is already a pretty toxic environment at times (as, to be fair, are most social media enterprises), but I don't see anything in his character or past behaviour which would indicate that remaking it in his image would improve matters.

We're talking about Elon Musk buying twitter. I pointed out that he's got form for being a bullying billionaire troll so this is perhaps something to consider when he buys one of the biggest social media enterprises in the world. If you don't think that's relevant, then that's your right. Twitter is already a pretty toxic environment at times (as, to be fair, are most social media enterprises), but I don't see anything in his character or past behaviour which would indicate that remaking it in his image would improve matters.
How is Musk different than Bezos or Disney owning nbc or go down the list of the major companies and rich people that own the media.

I pointed out that he's got form for being a bullying billionaire troll so this is perhaps something to consider when he buys one of the biggest social media enterprises in the world. If you don't think that's relevant, then that's your right.
This is completely true.
Though I do like him in some things, if it wasnt for his drive there would be no chance in hell that there may be ppl walking soon on the moon and mars, or electric vehicles would now be the dominant selling vehicles in a decade.
Sure theres a lot of shit with his personality but look at all the nameless billionaires who we know nothing about, eg the worlds 3rd richest person. Bernard Arnault, What has he done thats positively impacted the world and all the 100s of nameless others like him, Sure theres the occasional one like Soros or Gates by by in large they are mostly how can I enrich my share of the pie.
The world needs a 5% wealth tax

Back