AMD: Zen 3 Announced [2020-10-08]

Um lingo translation required :???:

BTW we gonna have a Zen4 thread?

Meanwhile & hardly breaking news but for the record since not previously noted in the thread:
AMD is bringing out some Zen3s with stacked L3 cache.
Bit about the tech here https://www.anandtech.com/show/1672...acked-vcache-technology-2-tbsec-for-15-gaming
64MB of SRAM stuck over the top of the existing L3 using existing TSVs & the chip is thinned so that the stack is same vertical height as the old chip.

Apparently only going to be 1 consumer level chip Ryzen 7 5800X3D: 96 MB L3 cache, 8 cores, 4.5 GHz boost
423132750.jpg

Looks like main target is Epyc/Server sockets (& presumably Zen4?) with some completely monstrous numbers of L3 on them.

OK, Mobile Ryzen 6k series is incredibly impressive. Wow. The 6900HS is not only faster than the 5900HS but uses less than half as much power. The laptop comes in at roughly twice the battery life. So, minus storage, memory, display, etc. and that means the CPU is sipping less than half the power.

It also scales much better at lower power targets than Intel's mobile CPUs. If power consumption of a laptop doesn't matter then the Intel CPUs are still slightly better on laptop. But if you want a laptop with good battery life and/or excellent integrated graphics, AMD 6k series is king for x86.

Combination of RDNA2 being more power efficient than Vega as well as improvements in Zen 3+ for power efficiency.

Once Ryzen 6k series APUs hit the desktop, I might just build a new HTPC around it.

Considering how well the APU scales when power limited, I wonder how well a 5 nm low power version would compare to Apple's M1. Ryzen 6k series is 6 nm.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Once Ryzen 6k series APUs hit the desktop, I might just build a new HTPC around it.

Regards,
SB
They never will, or at least it's extremely unlikely.
Not sure if AMD said outright it wouldn't, but only option would be AM5-version since the thing has only DDR5/LPDDR5 support, and by the time they've gotten the platform launched (highend first) and lower tier motherboards out we probably already have Phoenix in our hands.

I would expect some NUC-like form factor options to emerge, if/when AMD has enough supply to satiate notebook demand from the larger OEMs.
If they're soldered, sure. But I don't expect AM5 version and AM4 can't happen.

The 5800X3D looks to be an amazing gaming CPU at an incredible price. In most gaming beating out Intel's 12900KS which released at $800, milking gamers as much as possible just prior to the X3D release. The large cache really helping with gaming workloads even at a core clock deficiency compared to 5800X.

The 5800X3D looks to be an amazing gaming CPU at an incredible price. In most gaming beating out Intel's 12900KS which released at $800, milking gamers as much as possible just prior to the X3D release. The large cache really helping with gaming workloads even at a core clock deficiency compared to 5800X.

The best thing about this, unlike the 12900KS is that it doesn't require a new motherboard and memory. It's a drop in replacement for most existing Ryzen systems. So I can easily upgrade to this from my Ryzen 7 3700x. Something I'm seriously tempted to do.

Since I no longer overclock my CPUs, then this would be a quite significant boost in performance compared to my stock 3700x.

Regards,
SB

So I can easily upgrade to this from my Ryzen 7 3700x. Something I'm seriously tempted to do.
Yeah I'm running an X370 motherboard with a 2600X CPU. There's already a beta bios out for it that supports Zen 3 and a final coming just before release. Tempted to go for a 5800X since the price drop, which is what I bought for my wife recently.

Yeah I'm running an X370 motherboard with a 2600X CPU. There's already a beta bios out for it that supports Zen 3 and a final coming just before release. Tempted to go for a 5800X since the price drop, which is what I bought for my wife recently.

One of the big draws for the 5800x3D is that the power consumption is so low compared to the 5800x not to mention those power sucking Intel 12th gen CPUs.

Low heat, low power consumption and premium gaming performance? Nice!

Able to just drop in and replace existing CPU with no other changes? Yes, please!

While it's tempting to wait for Zen 4, the fact that this is just a drop in replacement and comes with all of those other bonuses just makes this pretty irresistable. Yeah, it's like 100 USD more than the 5800x, but those other things make it worth it for me.

Still, while I do love me some more gaming performance, the 3700x is still perfectly fine for work. The 5800x3D would be better, but it's not necessarily "needed." That's the only thing holding me back.

Well, that and I still need a GPU better than a GTX 1070. :p

Regards,
SB

Damn, Intel took the lead for a very short term with alder lake in performance. AMD just outdid them by quite large margins with this one. Thats good because i wont have to swap mainboards if i'd want to upgrade the CPU (3900x) to something more intresting later on. I want something with more than 8 cores though, we will probably see that soon enough.

Holy sh*t that's fast. So great to finally see progress in the CPU industry again after years of stagnation.

Indeed, the biggest gains came after Zen2 with Zen3/ADL and now this. Nvidias/AMD's next gpus promise to have some large gains aswell.

In theory I'm target market for this.
I got 5600X in part because of limited budget, in part because I was hoping to be able to justify getting a more powerful refresh model & its gaming where I'm having performance issues since I got a 4K monitor.

These numbers do look good, its more cores than I currently have, I like that its producing lower power draw than 5800X & I don't really have much use-case for huge core/thread count.

But its kinda disappointing in that I hadn't really figured on only bumping to 8-core, the complete lack of OC combined with lower clocks & proximity to Zen4 launch is kinda off-putting.
I thought refresh would be last year based on AMDs previous cadence but rather than a clock-bump refresh all we got was non-X parts & this.

I really need to see how this performance compares to OC 5000 series & probably Zen4 before I would commit.
Also I'm pretty certain that the $$$ would be better spent on upgrading my 5600XT which is distinctly lacking in horsepower for 4K.

Last edited:
I really need to see how this performance compares to OC 5000 series & probably Zen4 before I would commit.
Also I'm pretty certain that the $$$ would be better spent on upgrading my 5600XT which is distinctly lacking in horsepower for 4K.

Wait for Zen4 and whatever next gen GPU comes from either amd or nv (or even intel). Its too close to these new launches to not wait i think. Im on a 2080Ti and depending on what kind of performance the new hardwares will give i will upgrade it or not. For ampere i decided the 2080ti was good enough, only upgrading the CPU.
IMO the best of this AMD chip is that you dont need to get a whole new mainboard etc, something that Intel should follow. Like i said, i want more than 8 cores otherwise its a no-brainer.

But its kinda disappointing in that I hadn't really figured on only bumping to 8-core, the complete lack of OC combined with lower clocks & proximity to Zen4 launch is kinda off-putting.
I thought refresh would be last year based on AMDs previous cadence but rather than a clock-bump refresh all we got was non-X parts & this.

I'm pretty sure you're not the target audience. With a 5600X you're fine for gaming for awhile, even through Zen4 unless you want to go for DDR5 as well. This is a very nice big upgrade for Zen/Zen+ owners, maybe Zen2 lower versions.

Last edited:
This is a very nice big upgrade for Zen/Zen+ owners, maybe Zen2 lower versions.
To the extent they have mobos that do support yet haven't already upgraded to a 5000 series then yeah massive but I'm not sure how many that would be who waited this long and won't just wait a bit more/save up for a full CPU/Mobo/RAM upgrade to Zen4 &/or should just buy a better GPU.

I actually still have a G751JY with Crystalwell 128MB with GF 980M. The IGP is not used at all by the machine so the EDRAM is only used as CPU L4. Thought that was nifty.
That did seem like a really nice bit of architecture giving a meaningful advantage from the iGPU for those with discrete GPUs instead of just being a bit of useless silicon only serving to help spread the thermal load.
Why did it get killed? Couldn't AMD put a HBM stack next to the IO die using a spare IF link or something for a much more easily engineered similar effect?

Back