The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

I think that will still happen in some format.

Essentially what should have been the prologue is the insurrectionist war and the glassing of Reach. Noble team retrieving cortana before launching off on Pillar of Autumn.
The pilot episodes of Battlestar Galatica are lightyears ahead of most shows. Which I wish looking back at Halo, could have been able to pull off, but for some reason they couldn't, perhaps too many episodes to introduce Chief who they wanted as the main protagonist of the show.

Keep in mind that while it wasn't presented in the games, at the same time Noble Team were down fighting on Reach, Master Chief was periodically also doing things on and above Reach. One critical mission was destroying a data repository above Reach that held the location of Earth, IIRC. Basically the automated systems meant to erase that information malfunctioned at one space defense platform and Master Chief had to go in and destroy it before the Covenant could gain access to that data.

It's been a LONG time since I read the book that went into details about Master Chief's involvement with what went down at Reach. I need to dig that book up again and re-read it. :)

Basically, they could have included Reach while still including Master Chief. There's also one or more novels that go into some detail about Master Chief's involvement in the later stages of the insurrectionist wars.

Like I said, there's a LOT of non-game story, lore, and literature involving Master Chief that we don't see in the games.

Regards,
SB

From what I heard ... No. Up front they only had the go ahead for one season. It wasn't until Season 1 was finished that they were renewed for a second season.
so basically if they had known they had 2 seasons from the get go in funding they could have changed the story. But it wasn't until S1 was done filming were they greenlighted for S2, so they made S1 awkward effectively.

Anyhow..
Picard season 2 first two episodes seem to shoot for keeping watchers on the edge of the seat. Not exactly trekky still of course, but somehow in a less annoying fashion than the first season and especially STD. Ler's see if it bogs down after the start; so far I'm in and entertained.

Picard Season 2 is just so damn bad. So full of cliché performed badly. Yet, it's not as horrible as STD.
ST:Michael Burnham. Because the show ain’t about anyone else. I couldn’t name another character on the show except for Spock.

Oh I can name a heap of them:
Captain mirror universe
Gangly alien dude
Chubby ginger
Black dreads chick
Dr gay guy
'Comedian' engineer chick
Black future guy
Asian bridge guy
Admiral future dude
Captain asian chick
Semi-android chick
Big eye alien reptile
Albino guy
Future glasses old dude
Non-binary
President spoonhead
President RomuVulcan

And the 'writers' know how much we know and love them all which is why they keep writing these looooong soppy leaving scenes where we get to farewell our beloved unnamed characters for the few minutes of 'intense emotion' before they always return without loss :rolleyes:

Meanwhile I was nearly crying when the faceless, emotionless robot from the joke Trek ripoff show sacrificed himself to save the crew :oops:

Precisely! The whole characters set of STD feels somehow very uncharismatic.
Picard is a bit better in this respect IMO. Stupid storytelling still, but I find myself tolerating it a bit better now. Maybe it's just my brains rotting, due to forcing myself watch the drivel too much

Anyhow..
Picard season 2 first two episodes seem to shoot for keeping watchers on the edge of the seat. Not exactly trekky still of course, but somehow in a less annoying fashion than the first season and especially STD. Ler's see if it bogs down after the start; so far I'm in and entertained.

Picard Season 2 is just so damn bad. So full of cliché performed badly. Yet, it's not as horrible as STD.

Actually I'm quite enjoying Picard season 2 so far surprisingly. That said I thought Season 1 started strong and had a handful of decent moments, but overall was pretty poor, especially the ending. One clear comparison of the relative quality of the two seasons is the fleet in the last episode of season 1 vs that in the first episode of season 2. They actually had more than 1 ship class in the latter (including Sovereigns I noted) and they didn't all look like crap.

All that said, I think I have learned to drop my standards and expectations of any new Trek now so that probably plays a big part in my enjoyment of S2. Also, I still think that the legend who is Patrick Stewart is unfortunately simply too old to play the part now.

ST:Michael Burnham. Because the show ain’t about anyone else. I couldn’t name another character on the show except for Spock.

Oh I can name a heap of them:
Captain mirror universe
Gangly alien dude
Chubby ginger
Black dreads chick
Dr gay guy
'Comedian' engineer chick
Black future guy
Asian bridge guy
Admiral future dude
Captain asian chick
Semi-android chick
Big eye alien reptile
Albino guy
Future glasses old dude
Non-binary
President spoonhead
President RomuVulcan

And the 'writers' know how much we know and love them all which is why they keep writing these looooong soppy leaving scenes where we get to farewell our beloved unnamed characters for the few minutes of 'intense emotion' before they always return without loss :rolleyes:

Meanwhile I was nearly crying when the faceless, emotionless robot from the joke Trek ripoff show sacrificed himself to save the crew :oops:

Yes Discovery really is atrocious. They've taken it off Netflix over here (and everywhere I believe) and expect you to buy Paramount+ just to watch it. Lol, good luck with that.

All that said, I think I have learned to drop my standards and expectations of any new Trek now so that probably plays a big part in my enjoyment of S2. Also, I still think that the legend who is Patrick Stewart is unfortunately simply too old to play the part now.

Exactly. In a similar fashion, Star Wars was 2 decades of disappointments mostly (not quite as bad as ST but anyway). Mandalorian was a big surprise quality wise, but even after that I was able to enjoy parts of BOBF without getting overly frustrated over the sucky parts.

With Picard, I already know they are going to do stupid things in overly dramatic way, intentionally trying to trash Roddenberry's ideals.

I felt genuinely bad hearing Patrick Stewart is going to be put through more seasons of this. But out of respect for him I don't want to hate the show.

I've only watched the first episode of Picard 2. A bit meh but I'll no doubt get round to watching the rest at some point. I read an interview with Stewart the other day and was interested to see that they filmed all 3 seasons at once which was perhaps sensible given his advancing years!

Precisely! The whole characters set of STD feels somehow very uncharismatic.
Picard is a bit better in this respect IMO. Stupid storytelling still, but I find myself tolerating it a bit better now. Maybe it's just my brains rotting, due to forcing myself watch the drivel too much
Picard has similar issues. Seven and Gainan are the only other characters I can actually recall by name. And they name drop a whole bunch of others names.

I can't help but think they've got some serious writer issues. I get the goal for inclusivity, but they are including characters inclusiviely for the sake of just being present. They don't have their own story arcs, they don't have any real role to play. It's just like asian bridge security person on STD. He's been there for 4 seasons, 4!, I still know nothing about him. He don't do anything etc. But Worf, Tuvok no problem. ST:TNG has an iconic crew every bit as much as the ST:TOS. You know I'll go as far to say so did DS9 and STV. But STD and STP, it's really all about 1 person. The crew plays no role in the show. That's really sad because of how large of a departure it is. There is way more 'star trek' in the Expanse.

My favorite Star Trek has always been the Next Generation. But then ten years ago or so when I bought the box set I came to learn what a horrible first season that had, my goodness. But it does get better. Picard and Data were awesome. The rest though? 7of9 was great in Voyager but that’s about it and we should probably never speak or Deep Space Nine or whatever it was called again.

To me though Discovery comes right after that. Which isn’t saying too much. The original Star Trek was probably good when it came out but felt already too dated when I was a kid and that’s … years ago. But Discovery was a breath of fresh air, for me, partly with its strong story drive, and with interesting characters with interesting problems. Or so I thought at least. [emoji16]

Movie wise the first reboot and the one with the Borg with Glen Close as the Borg queen was it? Are the only ones that I enjoyed I think.

I watched all of Agents of SHIELD recently by the way. Kind of a go to thing when I had nothing else. It’s … not all bad, but it’s definitely not very good either. Almost all of the actors are really just not good enough. We probably got spoilt with all the shows with actually talented actors.

My favorite Star Trek has always been the Next Generation. But then ten years ago or so when I bought the box set I came to learn what a horrible first season that had, my goodness.

I really liked TNG, but yeah.. season one was utterly awful! :LOL: In modern times it may have struggled to even get to a second season. That said, I really liked that DS9 delved deeper into the moral ambiguities of the Federation, their politics and Starfleet, including Section 31, triggered by the station being on the front line of what was effectively hostile space. Latter TNG movies (Insurrection, Nemesis) embraced this.

I liked the season 1 of Discovery, but - spoiler alert! - the Captain was a maniac and I liked the second season with Captain Pike too, but I've struggled with it since because it feels all over the place tonally.

Alex Kurtzman is behind the Star Treks. You can guarantee he'll turn any show into nonsense trash.

I watched all of Agents of SHIELD recently by the way. Kind of a go to thing when I had nothing else. It’s … not all bad, but it’s definitely not very good either. Almost all of the actors are really just not good enough. We probably got spoilt with all the shows with actually talented actors.

I really liked the SHIELD actors (except for Simmons, so boring...), but I think I have really low acting standards.

Back