The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

This gave me Battlestar Galactica vibes. The OG, where the human is a collaborator, or the reboot where its not a human. Hopefully they are not retreating those plots but it's interesting that they've gone with a human representing the bad guys at all. Perhaps just an easier face to put a recognisable face on a key bad guy. The challenge with sci-fi where you have a lot of similar-looking aliens (Covenant) is making them distinct. You can do it with colours, scars and costume of course.

It was great seeing the pelicans and warthog done so well.

There's so many things on different levels that makes this so weird.
  • The Flood see both humanity and the covenant as food.
    • So why is it ignoring the female?
    • If the female is somehow an "agent" of the Flood, why is she telling humanity to surrender to the covenant?
      • The Flood hold the covenant in no special regard.
      • In Halo 2, it temporarily allied with Master Chief and The Arbiter to help destroy the Covenant since the Covenant were going to activate the Halo rings which would destroy the Flood. But in Halo 3, it was freed from the Halo Ring and tried to kill both the Master Chief and the Arbiter.
  • The Covenant never offered or sought Humanity's surrender
    • The Covenant did not want to offer Humanity a place within the Covenant, hence no surrender was sought.
    • So, it's unlikely that the female would be an "agent" of the Covenant.
    • This article does a fairly good job of explaining the lore and the reasons why the Covenant sought Humanity's annihilation rather than allowing any chance of the Human race surviving the war.
  • Perhaps the female is part of a rebel human faction? Remnants of the rebels who were virtually wiped out prior to the conflict with the Covenant?
    • However, again, the Covenant seek Humanity's annihilation, so surrender would only mean a quick death.
Pretty much it makes no sense within the established Halo Lore and Universe. So, it's a bit weird and I'm hoping there will be a good reason for that one clip in the trailer. I'm hoping that it's not just incompetent writers as we've seen in numerous modern TV series.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Different doesn't necessarily mean good. The new Star Trek movies after the reboot are different ... but they're also pretty horrible. OTOH, while I didn't like the direction that the new Battlestar Galactica went, the new series was fairly good.

So, I'm trying not to judge just based on what little is known, but new isn't reassuring. :p

Then again if part of being "different" also means that Halo 4 and 5 just magically disappear as if they never happened, then maybe it'll be great. :p

Regards,
SB

OTOH, while I didn't like the direction that the new Battlestar Galactica went, the new series was fairly good.

Talking about the BSG 2004 series or the new one that NBC is working on for Peacock service? I hadn't seen anything certain about it, but figure it'll have reception like the BSG 1980 series.

As with all game to movie or series adaptations, I remain skeptical but have low expectations for Halo. It kind of has a SG1 vibe to it, and that's a good thing.

Talking about the BSG 2004 series or the new one that NBC is working on for Peacock service? I hadn't seen anything certain about it, but figure it'll have caption like the BSG 1980 series.

As with all game to movie or series adaptations, I remain skeptical but have low expectations for Halo. It kind of has a SG1 vibe to it, and that's a good thing.

Talking about the 2004 reboot. I didn't like the direction it went with certain things, but overall the series was pretty good. But then I loved the original series (cheese and all) when I was younger and would watch every episode the day it came out.

Regards,
SB

Personally, I was rooting for the Cylons not much over half-way into the first series of the reboot. The humans were behaving in such a stupid manner that they didn't deserve to survive. It only got worse as the show went on as well. I watched the last couple of series as much to complete the job as any interest in what was occurring on screen.

I think the new Jack Reacher show on Amazon is better than the movies were. There are some annoying bits but I'm enjoying it.

I think the new Jack Reacher show on Amazon is better than the movies were. There are some annoying bits but I'm enjoying it.
Yeah I'm quite liking it. Alan Richardson isn't great at executing his lines but he should improve. Decent supporting cast and good fight choreography.

I forgot Discovery took a mid-season break after episode 7 and episode 8 just came out last night. I still haven't gotten through the stupid Tillly in Galileo 7 episode. :/

The Book of Boba Fett is not a highlight in Robert Rodriguez's resume. The action sequences in particular in episodes he directed were really awkward and the storytelling in general was maybe even clumsier than what George Lucas managed to create. The contrast with the Mandalorian centered episodes is staggering.

The Book of Boba Fett is not a highlight in Robert Rodriguez's resume. The action sequences in particular in episodes he directed were really awkward and the storytelling in general was maybe even clumsier than what George Lucas managed to create. The contrast with the Mandalorian centered episodes is staggering.

Yeah, the finale was incredibly clunky and most of the action scenes didn't make any real sense. It somehow feels as though it is a much lower budget show than The Mandalorian, even though the SFX are pretty decent.

Will be interesting to see how Obi-Wan turns out...

Yeah, the finale was incredibly clunky and most of the action scenes didn't make any real sense. It somehow feels as though it is a much lower budget show than The Mandalorian, even though the SFX are pretty decent.
Agreed. It has all the right elements, but put together really shoddily. When I recall the season finales of the first two Mandalorian series, each was just so well done.

It felt like that they had so much cool stuff, that they fumbled trying to present it to coherently.

Amazon's series of Reacher is quite good, for an action thriller. Only downside early on episodes was my mental expectation where the rest of the Titans team to join in the action scenes, since they casted Hawk as Jack Reacher. :LOL:

Back